Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
At those speeds I'm assuming you're in 5th gear? I just got a 1700 Nomad and it feels like it has no business being in 6th at anything under 75 MPH.
I use 6th a lot and usually 45-50 im in 6 unless the engine starts to lug which is hard on rings/pistons and cylinder walls plus it will use more fuel than higher rpm with no load -- on interstate at any speed I use 6 unless I hit a long grade or pass something and higher rpm is the best choice

im sure most folks on this site have their personal preference for some reason on how to care for their machines like I do -- and I try to be reasonable and my stuff lasts a long time from bikes to lawn mowers

these engines have good pulling power [torque] so I don't see the need to keep one wound up all the time like a sport bike -- just be reasonable

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #32
Advanced Member

After my IVAN flash mine feels like to picked up more low end torque and the power delivery from the lower rpms (like around 2 grand) is better too but in any situation, whatever speed, I never let mine get under 2,000 rpm with any kind of engine load as lugging a motor can indeed be harmful.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #33

+1. The engine seems happiest between 2700-3000 RPM's. I seem to be shifting at around 3500.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
After my IVAN flash mine feels like to picked up more low end torque and the power delivery from the lower rpms (like around 2 grand) is better too but in any situation, whatever speed, I never let mine get under 2,000 rpm with any kind of engine load as lugging a motor can indeed be harmful.
What kind of intake and exhaust are you running?

Old 03-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #35

Just removed my ecu this morning and sent it off to be "Ivanized". I have had the PCV and autotune on for past few years. Vance and Hines power Pro 2:1 exhaust and big air kit. Bike runs great except for minor backfiring thru muffler, and thru carb now and then.
Can't decide if I want to zero out the existing map and leave system as is, or remove it all. Not sure if there would be anything to gain by keeping the PCV and autotune in place. MPG with current setup is a solid 38 average running on regular. Any thoughts??
V&H ProPipe, Thunder big air kit, Ivanized ECU.
Ray's throttle mod, ISO grips, 4" risers, rear light mods
Mustang Touring seat
400 watt Alpine Amp with 6.5 Kickers
Fusion LED Headlight

VBA # 02224
VROC # 2702

Godfather

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Just removed my ecu this morning and sent it off to be "Ivanized". I have had the PCV and autotune on for past few years. Vance and Hines power Pro 2:1 exhaust and big air kit. Bike runs great except for minor backfiring thru muffler, and thru carb now and then.
Can't decide if I want to zero out the existing map and leave system as is, or remove it all. Not sure if there would be anything to gain by keeping the PCV and autotune in place. MPG with current setup is a solid 38 average running on regular. Any thoughts??
I would get Ivan's thoughts on it. According to him, his reprogramming of the ECU is all that's needed on 95 percent of bikes. Why are you running regular gas? If Kawasaki says it requires higher octane because of higher compression, that's what I personally am going to stick with.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #37

Quick hijack: On your fuel statement (yes get out the popcorn). The 1700 is not a high compression motor at 9.5/1 (in my opinion) and many of us use regular fuel with no issues. I did find that with premium around town when temps are above 80 motor seemed to run a little cooler. Only time my motor pinged with regular the temp was around 90 riding 2 up w/trailer and we where outside of the HD plant in York, PA (was it fear factor induce)

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Old 03-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #38

I've tried running on premium. Got a little better gas mileage, but really didn't improve performance noticeably. Mine doesn't knock or ping on regular. I've had quite a few Vulcans, ran all but one on regular. My Rogue liked premium.
V&H ProPipe, Thunder big air kit, Ivanized ECU.
Ray's throttle mod, ISO grips, 4" risers, rear light mods
Mustang Touring seat
400 watt Alpine Amp with 6.5 Kickers
Fusion LED Headlight

VBA # 02224
VROC # 2702

Godfather

Old 03-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #39
Advanced Member

GODFATHER if your motor is stock ( like no pistons or cams) and with an air kit and exhaust, you will want to remove your tuner and plug your injector wires back to stock again. When you get your ECU back and run your bike you will then see why. Ivan tunes the ECU so well that running a fuel/air tuner of any kind will only make your bike run too rich. At this point you will see they are just a waste of money as all the inherent problems we have experienced in the 1700s are ECU related and Ivan will cure this. I just took mine out for a good hardy run a couple of days ago and wow what a difference! That's all you need, the sooner you get it done the better.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #40

Quote:

I would just load a zero map, leave the PCV for now, if you feel that you want to fine tune it, then you have that option.

If you feel that you're done, then remove it.

Ivan

Old 03-19-2016, 09:58 PM   #41

Quote:
I've tried running on premium. Got a little better gas mileage, but really didn't improve performance noticeably. Mine doesn't knock or ping on regular. I've had quite a few Vulcans, ran all but one on regular. My Rogue liked premium.
some time ago someone commented on this and posted the numbers

the decal on mine says use RON+MON/2 90 min.---if u do the math on this u do not get PREMIUM or 93 --- I don't remember the exact number but its closer to 87-89 -- maybe someone will post it again

I have used all grades and see no real difference and the engine runs very well on 87 so that is what I choose

9.5-1 does not = high compression

Last edited by UNCLE WILLIE; 03-19-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #42

Got my ECU back in from Ivan yesterday and was able to take the bike out for about an hour or so and let me tell you, OMFG!! it rides like a completely different bike. I tried everything I could to make it decel pop and not a single pop the whole time I was on it. It's a lot smoother, more power and even sounds better. Ivan is the man. It's so worth the 350 bucks he charges to flash it.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #43
Advanced Member

I finally got my Vaquero out yesterday for a 130 mile run with my re-tuned
"Ivanized" ECU and the bike finally got closer to operating temps, as we burst into the 60s for high temps. I can honestly say my Vaquero has picked up a substantial amount of power, mostly good solid low end torque. We were opening our throttles and sprinting up to like 80, or 90 at times in the canyons and backroads, with diverse speeds and conditions, curvy twisty bits and long straights. This is what really made me smile besides all the dead-on accurate throttling even at slow speeds around 2,000-2700 rpm in any gear was this fact.....and it blew me away. I filled with 92 ethanol free go juice and at the end of the day, after 130 miles of hard fun riding, I still had almost a half a tank left! The gauge needle went just a teeny bit under that half mark indicating if I am just cruising at highway speeds and keeping off the open throttle I can maybe get at least 200 miles from a full tank. This is great news and having a perfect running motor now says it all. Anyone who gets this done will experience way better fuel mileage. Looks like Ivan is going to be real busy now that this has spread around.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #44

Where can I find information on removing the ECU?
Thanks

Old 03-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #45

On the VV remove the battery cover then on the left side you will see two black moduals (one has 3 connectors, (relays unit) other on has 2 connectors (ECU)) pull these units out, disconnect the two plugs and send it in with the form.

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296