Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #1

ivans and more

greetings to all
been waiting for this -- my experience with Ivan was great and let me tell u im a hard sell but when he appeared on web sight it got my attention because of what he offered and other web sights confirmed his claims so that took away some of my doubts - as one member mentioned he didn't want to be first
my ECM came in @ noon so I installed it as per instructions
went for ride 82 miles - temp @ 80 and sunny
start and idle normal but very soon went over hill and down with NO backfire - continued over hills and curves [that's about all we have in e ten] 41 miles at moderate pace 40-65 mph like I normally ride - my MPGuesser got up to 46.6 and had no hesitation or flat spots but did not try WFO -- can tell there is plenty of power without that + construction and traffic did not allow for that nor does my age

at best before this my MPG thing peaked out at 42.7 even though it is not accurate I see an increase of 3.9 mpg

when I got back I checked the eng temp with lazer all around and it was between @ 186 - 200 but normal before this was 110-115 also the head temps were below 200 for the first time
the fan never came on -- when new fans were on a lot until I put the chaps on and that did help cool it off in summer -- but I took the chaps off for this test to compare apples to apples

I have VnH slip ons - KnN air filter - pipes wrapped and removed the dobek processor plug n play unit which is for sale now
the bike was running good before but now is much better will revise this post later after more riding

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by UNCLE WILLIE; 03-10-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:26 PM   #2

Ivan was pleasant to talk to and took time to answer my ??? even though he was buisy
total time took 7 days including sat n sun
I have a 2010 Nomad that was not on his list - it had an updated ECU with blue dot and odd part # but was no problem -- u guys with 09-10 can get yours done same as 11-14 years -- IMO don't waste money on PCs and the hassle of that or other fuel processors because the issue we 1700 riders have is the ECM program and just throwing fuel at them is a band aid not the real fix
if u haven't read it on Ivans web scroll down some and look at the dyno tests - u will be surprised what good tuning will do --- im not a salesman for him just happy with what I got

Old 03-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #3

Who the hell is Ivan
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Who the hell is Ivan
I believe he is referring to this......

http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43310

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 03-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
Top Contributor

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLE WILLIE View Post
when I got back I checked the eng temp with lazer all around and it was between @ 186 - 200 but normal before this was 110-115
Just to be sure...those last two numbers should be 210-215?

Glad to hear on the fuel mileage, that was the report I was waiting for. Don't care if it goes up, just as long as it doesn't go down too much.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #7

tonic

u are correct - I missed my nap today - the engine temp on hot days normally is 215

I just assumed most folks were aware of the post by Ivan but don't know how to quote his post -- thank u for doing that for me

while waiting for the ECM to return I did dump oil from forks and shocks and replace with 15w - it makes a much better ride as some have stated
I did the shocks without taking springs off - the second one went much faster - not a hard job if you are not in a hurry

Old 03-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
u are correct - I missed my nap today - the engine temp on hot days normally is 215

I just assumed most folks were aware of the post by Ivan but don't know how to quote his post -- thank u for doing that for me

while waiting for the ECM to return I did dump oil from forks and shocks and replace with 15w - it makes a much better ride as some have stated
I did the shocks without taking springs off - the second one went much faster - not a hard job if you are not in a hurry
tyvm for the clarification. I will send mine out very soon.

On the front forks, did you see the fork brace? I put it on last year but after I went to 15w so I could tell the difference. The oil really helps the ride. But the brace is amazing, if you are a bit aggressive in the corners it really tightens it up. No more side to side walk in the front end.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ght=fork+brace

Old 03-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #9

tonic

Ive seen the brace from Garry but it wont fit a nomad - I like the idea but I don't really ride hard enough to need one very often - the aging process has caught up with me and I don't feel comfortable pushing myself or a bike to the limit even though I still run through the DRAGON once in a while - only takes 45 min to get there
I had a brace on my old Venture and liked it

Ivan did not make any assumptions on how the program would effect mileage he only says it will run better and he is right - u will see
the program is the same for all 1700 nomad through voyager

Old 03-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #10
Advanced Member

I still have not had a good ride day to test my "Ivanized" Vaquero since getting the ECU back in the bike last Friday other than a twisty one mile turn around up the hill and back test and even that told me great things had happened to the bike. Smooth as silk, even firing and great power and NO BACKFIRES. We are supposed to finally get a weather break by mid next week so a 100 mile day is in the planner. I will give a full report after that takes place and hopefully, at least a 60-65 degree day.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Ive seen the brace from Garry but it wont fit a nomad - I like the idea but I don't really ride hard enough to need one very often - the aging process has caught up with me and I don't feel comfortable pushing myself or a bike to the limit even though I still run through the DRAGON once in a while - only takes 45 min to get there
I had a brace on my old Venture and liked it
I think Garry is working on a brace.

http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showt...ace+nomad+1700

I don't ride aggressively, and found the fork brace made a substantial improvement to how my 1500 Nomad handles.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamriding View Post
I think Garry is working on a brace.

http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showt...ace+nomad+1700

I don't ride aggressively, and found the fork brace made a substantial improvement to how my 1500 Nomad handles.
At this time I have fork braces for only the 1700 Voyager & Vaquero, and 1500 Nomad. I am still looking for a 1700 Nomad donor bike to work with as I have 2 interested buyers, and would also make one for the 1600 Nomad if anyone is interested.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #13

ivans ecu

getting back to my original subject :

riding today at lower temp@ 71 I put the chaps back on to see what diff it would make in MPG -- on interstate @ 62 mph the best I got is 45.3
not surprised at the decrease but still better than the 42.7 before the re- program

this evening going to my little job actually coming back it dropped to 63 degrees and on interstate at 67 mph the mpg again dropped to 45.2 with cruze on then up to 45.3 when slowed down off interstate with traffic lights etc - rode @ 70 miles total today -- I do expect to see lower #s when I get happy with the throttle but with warmer temps coming looks like with normal riding the mpg will stay above 45 -46 which is better than expected so im happy with Ivans ecm tuning -- when my bank account levels out I may put it on a local dyno to verify what the a-fuel ratio is and the increase in HP and TORQUE -- according to ivans tests I should see @ 10 HP and Maybe 20 lb torque -- no matter what it is I can feel a diff and am happy I did it

Old 03-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #14

So no backfire at all?? WoW i'll be sending mine to Ivan next week. I absolutely hate that decel pop and almost traded my Vaquero because of it. So at low speed decels, there is no backfire?? Man that's amazing lol

Last edited by dhobbs74; 03-12-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:27 PM   #15

Ivan's ecu

I recently got my ecu back from Ivan and all I can say is. The man knows what he is doing. Night and day difference, very responsive with more power, no decal pop at all, and seems to run cooler. I have a 2015 Vaquero with Cobra tri flo slip ons and this has been the best thing I could have done to my bike. It is still hard for me to believe how much more power and how much better the motor runs now verses the factory tuning.