Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Vulcan Quick Turn Throttle Kit

Dave Shellenberger (dshelly on this forum) provided me with his throttle mod ring for evaluation on my 1700 Voyager.
Quick-turn throttles, also known as '1/5 throttle' or simply 'throttle mod' have been around for many years primarily for sport bikes but these are too small for the larger 1" handlebars used on cruisers. Dave has made a throttle mod ring to fit Vulcan 1600 and 1700.
This ring is just beautiful, CNC machined from 6061 aluminum, has a concave groove to keep the cables centered, 3 countersunk holes, and fits perfectly on the stock throttle tube. He also provided 3 screws and brief instructions on the installation.
I read the instructions and gathered up the required tools, and it took me 25 minutes to complete. I have had my throttle apart a few times to lubricate the cables so it was not the first time I was in there, or it may have taken a bit longer. The 1700 is a bit different than earlier Vulcans in that there is a chrome cap on top of the housing that holds the 2 halves together, remove that along with a clamp screw on the bottom. Also remove the cable clamp screw from the bottom.
Simply slide the ring in place and use it as a pattern to drill and tap the center hole, install the screw and repeat for the 2 other holes. Drilling and tapping the plastic was very easy, I didn't even use a tap wrench, just turned it in with my fingers. It was a bit tight to get the cables back on due to less slack but they will go on.
Since the ring is held on with 3 screws, it can be removed and put back to stock condition if desired, or reused on another bike.
I compared the throttle movement before and after, it turned about 95 degrees stock, and about 75 degrees with the mod ring installed. I also wound a string around the throttle and pulled it with a spring scale, 6 lbs to get it to turn stock and 8 lbs after the mod.
Then for the test ride, 80 miles at 80F in the Florida sunshine , I really like the quicker throttle response and after 2 hours without using the cruise control I could not feel any extra stress on my wrist from the added load. My stock throttle tube was worn and had a fair bit of end-play but adding this ring reduced that and it feels new again.
I understand Dave plans to make this kit available soon, and maybe a turn-around service if you want him to install the ring on your throttle tube, I'm sure he will chime in with those details.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #2

Been doing this for over a year...

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...light=THROTTLE

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...light=THROTTLE

I fIrst developed this mod for My Vaquero in June 2011 and documented the results on my dyno.

RACNRAY

P.S...my mod also omes with complete instructions explaining proper disassembly/reassembly and proper throttle cable adjustment.

Last edited by RACNRAY; 12-17-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the great write up Garry, and I'm glad it works so well.

Hate to say it Ray but don't you charge like $60 for these? I realize that's installed but......WOW !!!

Mine will be available soon after the Holidays On Ebay for $30 . It will be an Easy DIY mod with Instructions and include a drill and tap to attach it on your throttle tube.

I am still debating whether to accept mail in installation. This mod is so simple to install I just don't see the point. IMO Most guys like to do things like this themselves.

Ride safe everyone
,Dave

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 12-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

I love free market economics.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post

Hate to say it Ray but don't you charge like $60 for these? I realize that's installed but......WOW !!!

Mine will be available soon after the Holidays On Ebay for $30 . It will be an Easy DIY mod with Instructions and include a drill and tap to attach it on your throttle tube.

I am still debating whether to accept mail in installation. This mod is so simple to install I just don't see the point. IMO Most guys like to do things like this themselves.

Ride safe everyone
,Dave
Why would someone want to mail them in and have the down time?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Been doing this for over a year...

Racnray, I was aware of your service and we did talk last year when you introduced it. I was thinking that I might ride down to your shop and have it done one day (I do like to ride, y'know ) but for one reason or another never got around to it. I have never seen your work and haven't experienced your service so I am not criticizing you.

I do like Dave's kit because:
a) it is a DIY mod and I do like to tinker
b) almost no down time, pretty important to me
c) the throttle can be put back to stock condition

I've done many mods to my bikes over the years and whatever I do always can be undone and returned to stock. My current ride barely looks like a Voyager any more but I can still put it back to original at no cost to me when I go to trade it.

Regards,

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to wolfmil042370
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post

Ride safe everyone
,Dave

Let me know as soon as they go on ebay I could use them on my 99' 1500 nomad.
1999 Vulcan Nomad 1500
Green/Green
Vance & Hines Dual Bagger

Old 12-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
Racnray, I was aware of your service and we did talk last year when you introduced it. I was thinking that I might ride down to your shop and have it done one day (I do like to ride, y'know ) but for one reason or another never got around to it. I have never seen your work and haven't experienced your service so I am not criticizing you.

I do like Dave's kit because:
a) it is a DIY mod and I do like to tinker
b) almost no down time, pretty important to me
c) the throttle can be put back to stock condition

I've done many mods to my bikes over the years and whatever I do always can be undone and returned to stock. My current ride barely looks like a Voyager any more but I can still put it back to original at no cost to me when I go to trade it.

Regards,
Trade it in? I thought you would retire it.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #9

Being less than half the cost and being able to install it on any grip is also a benefit!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #10

I will be happy if he is willing to mail one to Canada

Old 12-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCaunuck View Post
I will be happy if he is willing to mail one to Canada
Where you at in ottawa? I am in Orleans, we can get him to send two in the same package.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #12

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I'll ship 'em anywhere you want, just costs a little more in shipping outside the US.

I'm taking orders for them now if anyone is interested. Just send me a PM. I'll start producing these Right after New Years . I'm taking some time off for the Holidays and going to see my Folks, Kids and Grandkids for Christams.

Happy Holidays everyone.
dshelly

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 12-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
I love free market economics.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #14

racn/rays mod

rays mod was the first out and at 60 bucks was the cheapest performance mod available at the time.whenever i called to his shop he personally answered,and is excellent to deal with.I have his mod myself.Personally the quarter turn throttle still reacts faster than the bike is capable of,i ground about a third of the material off and really can feel quicker accelleration and the good low end ray designed this throttle for.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #15

I have Ray's throttle mod. The differance i see in this sleeve is it is not tapered like Ray's is. I would be concerned about it getting rid of the low end lag and herky jerky the 1700's have. Ray's has been dyno tested for that issue. If you just want Quick throttle this will work. But Ray made his to fix an issue with the bike and spent a lot of time getting it right. Just saying.