Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Hey TC, you're cool, I ask the same questions! Let's see. To start, I'm not talking open-pipe loud, but something more commanding than I hear now. I'm an old hot-rodder from a previous life, and confess to loving the rumble of tweaked big blocks with high-lift cams. And must also confess a touch of vanity when it comes to such things. Alpha-male issues? Doc, where's my meds? Oh, sorry, I digress.
So when do I like to make some noise? When I'm hanging out with other bikers (very seldom, I'm more of a lone wolf-or bear); When I'm on some twisties that require a good bit of accel/decel (gets my heart pumping); or when I really open the plates for some hard accel for whatever reason. Other than that, I like a low volume rumble. Anybody make slip-ons like that?
Old Bear, I'm with you, I love the sound and rumble of a nice sounding motor, be it in a car or motorcycle. My cobra slip ons have a nice low rumble to them when idling and when I'm cruising down the road they're not loud...but get on the throttle and they wake up a little bit...love it. There's a big difference between that and some idiot running open/ no baffled pipes reving the crap out of his bike at a red light.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
Advanced Member

Ray, I don't know how you could hear the stereo before adding the exhaust with the stock 6" windshield? When I first bought my bike I was thinking how nice it would be to have the radio when I wanted some tunes, I quickly discovered that I couldn't hear the radio once I went above somewhere in the 40mph range (don't remember for sure what speed I lost sound) Way too much wind noise with the stock shield, I even tried earplugs to cut down on wind noise. I ordered my 14" shield and while you do sacrifice looks a little bit I can now listen to the stock stereo at 80mph with no problem and thats with the volume turned up to about 10 or 11.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
If enough of them get pissed then we will be legislated against. Don't think it will not happen because it has already started in some places.

I agree with you. (Damn that hurt) Stock for me.

In California, starting with 2013 models bikes, no motorcycle's exhust can be changed or modified. But then EVERYTHING in California's illegal including the population.

I love the sound of a stock Goldwing. NONE!!!

Last edited by Dave; 10-25-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #19

Thanks for the info on the speakers Ray, please let us know what your final set up is and how it works.
VBA #00671

Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #20
Top Contributor

The stock 2010 mufflers are loud enough for me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #21

Wait until you get older and deaf, I also have tinnitis, so if I wear ear plugs I get to hear no music or just annoy people by cranking it up. I usually use my Sena SMH10 bluetooth, best speakers I have ever heard in the helmet.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 10-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfl View Post
Old Bear, I'm with you, I love the sound and rumble of a nice sounding motor, be it in a car or motorcycle. My cobra slip ons have a nice low rumble to them when idling and when I'm cruising down the road they're not loud...but get on the throttle and they wake up a little bit...love it. There's a big difference between that and some idiot running open/ no baffled pipes reving the crap out of his bike at a red light.
Very true. I also like the low rumble sound.
It is the ear drum/window rattling exhaust and the idiots who run them that is going to get all of us in trouble.
i have always said if we don't police ourselves the legislators will do it for us.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #23

Wow!!

I rode the skoot last nite and just came back from runnin an errand on it, and with these speakers the sound quality is truly improved. I do not have to have the volume as high, running around town it's at 6-8 with the AVC set at 5.

The clarity is so good now that I do not need to have the volume as loud on the hi-way as I used to. I am finally happy with the ability of the sound system to deliver the volume I need with the sound quality that the stock system just could not match.

The wind noise is the biggest factor in hearing the music, and when I rode with my face shield down it would further impede on hearing the music. Now the music punches thru the wind noise and riding with my face shield down does not have such a negative affect.

I'll ride the skoot for a while with the settings in the amps as they were set up for the HT speakers to get a good baseline of the improvements with these speakers, then I'll attempt some fine tuning of the amps to see if there is more to be had with these speakers.

RACNRAY

Old 10-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
... But then EVERYTHING in California's illegal including the population.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfl View Post
... My cobra slip ons have a nice low rumble to them when idling and when I'm cruising down the road they're not loud...but get on the throttle and they wake up a little bit...love it.
Hey Taz, which slip-ons do you have?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #26

I have the Kaw helmet speakers. I can hear my tunes just fine.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Wait until you get older and deaf, I also have tinnitis, so if I wear ear plugs I get to hear no music or just annoy people by cranking it up. I usually use my Sena SMH10 bluetooth, best speakers I have ever heard in the helmet.
A second vote for the SMH10, I love them. What I need however is a Bluetooth transmitter that I can connect to my Vaquero's on-board stereo and sync with! And after that, I want a ...

Old 10-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #28
Advanced Member

Jeeze - talking about side tracking a thread - This is about speakers and audio . . . Ray - I follow your posts with great interest because you know what you are talking about with these bikes - Nice set up - better clarity = lower volume required to hear your music, which in turn = happier folks in their cabins as they only get disturbed when you crack the throttle as you go by . . .

For now I'm keeping my VV stock speakers witht he rear speaker . . . but this is an iteresting combination - if only it didn't cost $300 . . .

But you have to pay for quality . . .

NICE JOB!!!!

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Old 10-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by napom View Post
Jeeze - talking about side tracking a thread -
This forum is supposed to be like a bunch of people sitting around a table having a conversation.
How many times have you been sitting with friends and started a conversation that stayed on topic.
Also, I HATE loud pipes and take every opportunity to voice my opinion to those who run them.
Any other observations
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #30

lol

I used to hate asparagus and mangos as a kid, now I LOVE them!! Still HATE liver tho!! YUK!!

I'm gonna let everyone know as often as I can how much I hate liver!!

RACNRAY