Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #31

I have a buddy with a Victory 2012 cross country tour and his bike gets hot. His pipes will burn your leg. He will be ceramic coating the header pipe like i did with my 2011 Nomad. My bike runs much cooler now since i did ceramic coat pipe and wrap the cross over pipe. I also did the air temp relocation to the front so does not run so lean.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by majeff View Post
1Driver's seating position places you up on the gas tank, 2:transmission shifting banging clunk, first three gears, 3: heat from motor, 4: rake angle only 30° / 7.0 in. makes bike hard to control at slow speed, 5: not speedy take off or passing power, all Torque for trailer and passenger, 6: small fuel tank for big heavy bike. 7: Air flow "buffeting". The bike is a good looking bike but looks don't make it a good bike. Just my opinion!.
Dozens of magazines and websites and thoroughly tested the 1700 bikes, along with other bikes and seem to not write about any major issues. Most give the Vaquero good reviews. Remember there is no perfect bike. All bikes have their pros and cons.

1. Perhaps it's impossible to make a seat that fits every size/weight rider perfectly. I'm 5'8" 155 lbs and I was definitely not sitting on the tank. Perhaps you need to have the seat adjust to fit you better?
2. And? Does this harm anything?
3. Perhaps this is a real problem (this is still to be decided), but from your other complaints I'm guessing you're expecting too much.
4. I thought the lesser the fork angle the better handling? Don't most sport bikes have around a 23 degree angle?
5. Stock numbers were 64.97HP and 79.39 torque, which seems about normal. Racnray was able to get 87.67HP and 106.03 torque out of his modified 1700, which are very impressive numbers.
6. The bike has a 200+ mile range. Perhaps it could be bigger, but I wouldn't consider it an issue, just preference. Larger fuel capacity means bigger, heavier tank. Some would probably complain about how big the tank was if they tried to fit another gallon.
7. Perhaps you should be shorter? Really...?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Last edited by Jared; 08-12-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #33

Kawasaki has come out with a shroud for the 2012s (which can be adapted for anything from '09 up) that goes around the fan. The bottom bracket of the radiator moves a little bit forward and the top shifts a little bit out, with 2 new hoses -- lower & upper rad hose. The end result is that it pushes the hot air under the bike and away from you & it works. It's not hard to put on.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
Dozens of magazines and websites and thoroughly tested the 1700 bikes, along with other bikes and seem to not write about any major issues. Most give the Vaquero good reviews. Remember there is no perfect bike. All bikes have their pros and cons.

1. Perhaps it's impossible to make a seat that fits every size/weight rider perfectly. I'm 5'8" 155 lbs and I was definitely not sitting on the tank. Perhaps you need to have the seat adjust to fit you better?
2. And? Does this harm anything?
3. Perhaps this is a real problem (this is still to be decided), but from your other complaints I'm guessing you're expecting too much.
4. I thought the lesser the fork angle the better handling? Don't most sport bikes have around a 23 degree angle?
5. Stock numbers were 64.97HP and 79.39 torque, which seems about normal. Racnray was able to get 87.67HP and 106.03 torque out of his modified 1700, which are very impressive numbers.
6. The bike has a 200+ mile range. Perhaps it could be bigger, but I wouldn't consider it an issue, just preference. Larger fuel capacity means bigger, heavier tank. Some would probably complain about how big the tank was if they tried to fit another gallon.
7. Perhaps you should be shorter? Really...?
what jared said !
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 08-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #35
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackvanderslikke View Post
Kawasaki has come out with a shroud for the 2012s (which can be adapted for anything from '09 up) that goes around the fan. The bottom bracket of the radiator moves a little bit forward and the top shifts a little bit out, with 2 new hoses -- lower & upper rad hose. The end result is that it pushes the hot air under the bike and away from you & it works. It's not hard to put on.
Here is someone that did it: http://forums.delphiforums.com/kawvu...s?msg=107350.1
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Here is a letter someone got from Kawasaki after he complained to them about the heat:

Dear Mr..
Thank you for the purchase of a Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager motorcycle. It is disappointing

that your recent letter to Kawasaki was in regards to a complaint over heat output of the engine.
Kawasaki strives to build high quality products that provide our customers with years of enjoyment.

Kawasaki is highly concerned when a customer contacts us wth a problem.
Based upon the information you have supplied we feel that the temperature gauge operation is

typical for this model. When riding at slow speeds such as in stop and go traffic the unit will run

hotter than when operating at normal cruising speeds.

The heat emanating from the rear right hand side of the engine is typical for the 1700 Vulcan

models. The unit is a big bore engine and due to styling limitations there is little body work

available to direct the engine heat away from the rider. Provided that all of the systems and

components on the unit are operating properly it appears that the issue you have described is a

common characteristic of this model. We recommend the use of proper riding apparel to help
prevent discomfort associated with the engine heat.

The parts associated with the 2012 model Voyager would not be compatible with your 2011

Vaquero.

We thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

KAWASAKI
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
It's not just the fact that it's a big V Twin. Victory has a 106" V Twin in their touring bikes and a couple years ago they made the oil cooler SMALLER because they didn't think the oil temps were high enough. They run very cool (for what they are). Kaw (and most others) just don't have a great design.
the victorys are just as hot and kawi's design is just fine IMO.
VBA #01967
PCV
Black Thunder Tornado Air Kit
V&H Slip-ons
Racin Ray Throttle mod
Black Kuryakyn Mirrors
Black Kuryakyn Grips
Black Powder Coated Crash Bars, Highway Pegs, and Saddle Bag Handles
KQR Sissy Bar and Luggage Rack
Red Lenses and LED's on the rear with
Run,Brake,Turn Signal Control w/flash equalizer

Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post

Oh goodie, another nanny sticker on the tank... 'Do Not Attempt'...

I completely agree, my Vaquero never seemed much different heat-wise than any other bike I've owned, V-twin or otherwise. They have their quirks and personalities, that's what makes them so much fun! My reason for buying the Big Vaq in the first place was the personality, if I'd wanted a dull cookie cutter I'd have gotten a GoldWing but I'm an enthusiast, someone who likes to tweak and make changes so I've always gravitated to the V-twins and track bikes.

If I could tell Kawasaki anything about the Vaquero it would be to go more retro, dump the water and increase the cooling area with fins, go to push rods, make it as old school as possible, be what HD isn't any more, but due to Big Brother those days are over unless you're willing to get your hands a bit dirty...

Those who think the V-twins run warm should try track riding with a properly setup liter bike... My R1 with the underseat exhaust will smoke your backside and the heat you'll feel in your boots will make the Vaquero seem quite cool...
i agree 100%. if kawi had a pushrod motor with the six speed tranny it would great. IMO this heat stuff is a minor gripe in an otherwise well thought out and designed motorcycle.
VBA #01967
PCV
V&H Slip-ons
Racin Ray Throttle mod
Black Kuryakyn Mirrors
Black Kuryakyn Grips

Old 08-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #39
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp58 View Post
I have a buddy with a Victory 2012 cross country tour and his bike gets hot. His pipes will burn your leg. He will be ceramic coating the header pipe like i did with my 2011 Nomad. My bike runs much cooler now since i did ceramic coat pipe and wrap the cross over pipe. I also did the air temp relocation to the front so does not run so lean.
You'll burn yourself on ANY exhaust pipe. If he has a heat issue, it's his bike. I've never heard of any heat issues with the 106 Vics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fox View Post
the victorys are just as hot and kawi's design is just fine IMO.
It's not so much how hot the motors run, it's how much heat the rider feels. Obviously, no internal combustion engine will run "cold". The Vic touring bikes have no water cooling yet you never hear of any heat issues for the rider. I rarely hear of a 1700 rider without a complaint. High oil temps for a Vic are around 230*. I'll bet the Kaw gets at least that hot, even with the water assist. I'm not going back to search for my previous post but I think I was trying to compare the Vic to Harley more than Kaw although I think Kaw could have done a better job. BTW, the TCs sometimes get up to 300*. Now, that's HOT!
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #40
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
i agree 100%. if kawi had a pushrod motor with the six speed tranny it would great. IMO this heat stuff is a minor gripe in an otherwise well thought out and designed motorcycle.
Why does a pushrod engine work better with a 6 speed?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 08-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Why does a pushrod engine work better with a 6 speed?
it doesnt......i would have purchased a new yami strat deluxe if it was a 6speed. IMO looks better with a bigger engine. why have car manufactuers over the years went from 2 and 3 speed automatics to 6 speed autos? why do big rig trucks have 10,12,13,15 gears?
VBA #01967
PCV
V&H Slip-ons
Racin Ray Throttle mod
Black Kuryakyn Mirrors
Black Kuryakyn Grips

Old 08-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #42
Top Contributor

Semis need the extra gears. Big load, mid size motor, better to drop half a gear going up hill and not loose much speed than to damn near come to a stop. First truck I drove was an old International cabover with a 315 Cummins and a straight 7 speed. Going up hill, lots of times I'd slow down to 15 or 20 mph. Besides, in a modern big rig tranny, the top 2 or 3 gears are OD. BTW, the only 12 speeds were in Macks. Their version of the 13 but generally without an OD gear.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #43
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
it doesnt......i would have purchased a new yami strat deluxe if it was a 6speed. IMO looks better with a bigger engine. why have car manufactuers over the years went from 2 and 3 speed automatics to 6 speed autos? why do big rig trucks have 10,12,13,15 gears?
Beemers have 6 speeds too as do sport bikes... With cars, it's about gas mileage.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #44

You guys need to what I did to solve this heat problem. I just went and had my right leg removed below the knee. Now when I ride with the prosthetic, I don't feel any heat, problem solved!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #45

no thanks.
VBA #01967
PCV
V&H Slip-ons
Racin Ray Throttle mod
Black Kuryakyn Mirrors
Black Kuryakyn Grips