Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
I have to wonder why they didn't water cool the cylinders as well.
I figure cost is the main reason, water cooled cylinders are more expensive to make in production, and probably styling as well.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #17

So, are the 1600 CC Nomads in the same boat as far as cooling goes?

Old 08-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRay View Post
Darkstar, I fell forward full tilt on the sword for not waiting until I found a dealer with test rides. As I stated, "my bust" right up front. However, when I see the brouchure that tells me "liquid cooled" and see a radiator, I assume it will run like the rest of the liquid cooled vtwins I've had. I'm not a mechanic or an engineer so that's how I interpreted it. I could complain to the EPA but that won't help anyone with this particular problem. I'm stuck now and will have to follow the recipe you've laid out: wrap, PCV, exhaust, air intake, etc and another thousand dollars or more hopefully I'll have a bike I can truely enjoy riding. I'm just of the mindset that when a guy drops that much on a bike you shouldn't have to spend that much to deal with a heating issue. To boot, when Kawi or any other company puts out a product that from info received is not an isolated incident, them and the dealer should try to help instead of denying they've ever heard of it. Of course that's just an old country boy's opinion and you know how those are. ha! I've got some pipes to wrap and more money to spend.....
I agree

Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I've read your posts and have not responding until this point, in my opinion you've not done your homework before purchase, a bit of research would have told you this bike isn't what I'd actually call water-cooled, I'd call it water assisted... the heads are water-cooled, the jugs are air cooled which makes the water cooling marginal at best thus by its very nature, displacement and design she's going to feel and be hotter at slow speeds.

As I recall Harley had to contend with a class action suit regarding engine heat, that made me laugh too, people buying things and having no idea how they actually work. If you're looking to complain why not start with the EPA and the lean air and fuel mixtures manufacturers are forced to contend with.

My Vaquero runs at the 1/4 line on the temp gauge since I took matters in my own hands and corrected the lean condition forced on this bike. So, to answer your post, did I have heat? Yes, it's the very nature of the beast. Did I correct it? Yes. Did I blame MaKawi for design flaws? Hell no, I blame the nanny-state...
Well done. How did you get the temp so low.
Vulcan Bagger #01989
2013 Road Glide Ultra
2013 Softail Deluxe
2011 Voyager 1700 ABS (traded)
2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 (traded)
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Gone but not forgotten)
2007 Vulcan Classic 1600

Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #20

Either 1) I got lucky, 2) Kawi fixed the heat issues for 2012, or 3) I have a high tolerance for heat. I have ridden my Voyager in 100+ degree weather and haven't had any issues. Sure, I can feel the heat from the engine, but it's not that bad considering the size of the engine. It's kinda annoying that the clutch cover is discoloring at 9,000 miles, but that's what the warranty is for. Overall, I am really happy with mine. I have never ridden a HD tourer, but from what my HD buddies tell me, they run just as hot, if not hotter, than the 1700s. But, as a disclaimer, my bike does have the extra cooling fan at the rear of the engine. Maybe it does make a huge difference over the prior models.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
I figure cost is the main reason, water cooled cylinders are more expensive to make in production, and probably styling as well.
I looked at the schematic and the very top of the 1700's cylinders get water, basically where the rings are at TDC. The fan is supposed to go on at 203˚F and go off when it drops down to 194˚F. If the fan isn't turning on, the water temps aren't high enough.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 08-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #22
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Either 1) I got lucky, 2) Kawi fixed the heat issues for 2012, or 3) I have a high tolerance for heat. I have ridden my Voyager in 100+ degree weather and haven't had any issues. Sure, I can feel the heat from the engine, but it's not that bad considering the size of the engine. It's kinda annoying that the clutch cover is discoloring at 9,000 miles, but that's what the warranty is for. Overall, I am really happy with mine. I have never ridden a HD tourer, but from what my HD buddies tell me, they run just as hot, if not hotter, than the 1700s. But, as a disclaimer, my bike does have the extra cooling fan at the rear of the engine. Maybe it does make a huge difference over the prior models.
I don't think the Vaquero has the extra fan.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 08-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #23

Quote:
I've read your posts and have not responding until this point, in my opinion you've not done your homework before purchase, a bit of research would have told you this bike isn't what I'd actually call water-cooled, I'd call it water assisted... the heads are water-cooled, the jugs are air cooled which makes the water cooling marginal at best thus by its very nature, displacement and design she's going to feel and be hotter at slow speeds.

As I recall Harley had to contend with a class action suit regarding engine heat, that made me laugh too, people buying things and having no idea how they actually work. If you're looking to complain why not start with the EPA and the lean air and fuel mixtures manufacturers are forced to contend with.

My Vaquero runs at the 1/4 line on the temp gauge since I took matters in my own hands and corrected the lean condition forced on this bike. So, to answer your post, did I have heat? Yes, it's the very nature of the beast. Did I correct it? Yes. Did I blame MaKawi for design flaws? Hell no, I blame the nanny-state...
I agree about the research. The bike is water assisted cooling. The shop manual states that the 3/4 hot temp line (which is same the temp that works the thermostat) should be 194 degrees. That isn't all that hot. The Harley I rode in '85 had a temp gauge and if I was in stop and go traffic it was over 200 degrees all the time. I had an older Harley that I removed the heat shields and adjusted the carb to super lean to make the chrome header pipes turn blue and at night if you were in a dark area with the bike idling while hot the pipes actually glowed cherry red from the heat.
VBA #02089

Previous Bikes:
75 Yamaha 175
09 Vulcan 900 Classic
11 Vulcan Vaquero
Harleys:
75 Sportster XLCH
84 Sportster 1000
85 FXRT
79 Low Rider

Old 08-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #24
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
I have never ridden a HD tourer, but from what my HD buddies tell me, they run just as hot, if not hotter, than the 1700s.
The Twin Cams run very hot. The earlier Evos didn't.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #25

all of this talk of heat on the 1700's is just confusing to me. my vaquero rarely gets to half way on the temp gauge. now granted i to have v & h exhaust, pc-v, and a thunder tornado air kit but even before these mods the bike was not unrideable or miserable to ride because of heat. even sitting in traffic here in the south carolina heat my bike has never got to the red on the temp gauge. for all these guys that are complaining about heat ask yourself this question? was i doing 60mph down the highway or was i sitting in traffic when the fan kicked on? i bet your sitting in traffic. now i know the first thing ppl are gonna say is why cant kawi engineer it so it doesnt get so hot so fast or "its water cooled isnt it"?
the fact of the matter is it is a big v-twin with water assisted cooling. my bike does not run any hotter than any other "air cooled" bike i have owned. actually i would say it runs cooler than my 1600 roadstar i owned. i have used a temp gun on my bike and a friends street glide and mine was cooler with both bikes idleing at 96 degrees with very high humidity. i really dont know what kawi can do about this. i guess maybe put a big sticker on the gas tank saying CAUTION 1700CC ENGINE THIS ENGINE WILL GENERATE HEAT CAUSING SOME RIDERS DISCOMFORT.
VBA #01967
PCV
Black Thunder Tornado Air Kit
V&H Slip-ons
Racin Ray Throttle mod
Black Kuryakyn Mirrors
Black Kuryakyn Grips
Black Powder Coated Crash Bars, Highway Pegs, and Saddle Bag Handles
KQR Sissy Bar and Luggage Rack
Red Lenses and LED's on the rear with
Run,Brake,Turn Signal Control w/flash equalizer

Old 08-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #26
Top Contributor

It's not just the fact that it's a big V Twin. Victory has a 106" V Twin in their touring bikes and a couple years ago they made the oil cooler SMALLER because they didn't think the oil temps were high enough. They run very cool (for what they are). Kaw (and most others) just don't have a great design.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger74 View Post
So, are the 1600 CC Nomads in the same boat as far as cooling goes?
Looking at the 1600 manual, it appears the jugs have water jackets.

Good to see that a few members have posted some solutions !
VBA # 02065 VROC #29763

Sold - 2006 Nomad Green/Silver - Cobra Light Bar & Luggage Rack, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Phat II Risers, Mustang w/backrest, Vista Cruise, Vance & Hines, PCIII, Kruiser Kaddy, Classic Engine Guard Chaps, Electrical Connection R,B,T LED Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light.

Current Ride - 15 Road Glide S.

Last edited by puckoach; 08-12-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fox View Post
i guess maybe put a big sticker on the gas tank saying CAUTION 1700CC ENGINE THIS ENGINE WILL GENERATE HEAT CAUSING SOME RIDERS DISCOMFORT.

Oh goodie, another nanny sticker on the tank... 'Do Not Attempt'...

I completely agree, my Vaquero never seemed much different heat-wise than any other bike I've owned, V-twin or otherwise. They have their quirks and personalities, that's what makes them so much fun! My reason for buying the Big Vaq in the first place was the personality, if I'd wanted a dull cookie cutter I'd have gotten a GoldWing but I'm an enthusiast, someone who likes to tweak and make changes so I've always gravitated to the V-twins and track bikes.

If I could tell Kawasaki anything about the Vaquero it would be to go more retro, dump the water and increase the cooling area with fins, go to push rods, make it as old school as possible, be what HD isn't any more, but due to Big Brother those days are over unless you're willing to get your hands a bit dirty...

Those who think the V-twins run warm should try track riding with a properly setup liter bike... My R1 with the underseat exhaust will smoke your backside and the heat you'll feel in your boots will make the Vaquero seem quite cool...

Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #29

Waving New Trike

Just bought a new 2012 Valcan Voyager Trike and it does run hot at the 3/4 line + but so far has not went in to the red. Not complaining but that and the clunk when you shift are two things I need to get used too. I still like the Bike a lot.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #30
Sr. Contributor

Quote:

Oh goodie, another nanny sticker on the tank... 'Do Not Attempt'...

I completely agree, my Vaquero never seemed much different heat-wise than any other bike I've owned, V-twin or otherwise. They have their quirks and personalities, that's what makes them so much fun! My reason for buying the Big Vaq in the first place was the personality, if I'd wanted a dull cookie cutter I'd have gotten a GoldWing but I'm an enthusiast, someone who likes to tweak and make changes so I've always gravitated to the V-twins and track bikes.

If I could tell Kawasaki anything about the Vaquero it would be to go more retro, dump the water and increase the cooling area with fins, go to push rods, make it as old school as possible, be what HD isn't any more, but due to Big Brother those days are over unless you're willing to get your hands a bit dirty...

Those who think the V-twins run warm should try track riding with a properly setup liter bike... My R1 with the underseat exhaust will smoke your backside and the heat you'll feel in your boots will make the Vaquero seem quite cool...
Emissions requirements are going to get worse, so don't expect an antediluvian shift in technology. If anything, powerplants will shift in the electric or electric assisted direction in the future and if anything, engines get smaller and more efficient, as with cars. It'll be interesting to see how HD solves these issues while keeping the style/DNA intact. I will bet most hard core enthusiasts for whatever brand will keep what they have at some point and rebuild/restore as necessary, the rest of us will move on.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT