Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
Top Contributor

I have a 2007 1600 Nomad and am considering the 2012 Voyager. I would like all input as to likes and dislike of the Voyager and any problems with it. Is the belt drive the better setup or did Kaw change because it is a cheaper way to mfg. Kaw says they have made changes to the 2012 model as far as the transmission and heat freom the engine. Is the stock seat comfortable?

Thanks, Hammer

The stock Voyager seat is one of the better ones, much better than a stock Nomad seat for me. The Voyager seat puts me too close to the tank. A Voyager is more cramped than a Nomad. If you and your passenger are not lightweights it is cosy and the Voyager trunk is not adjustable for position. If you are happy with your Nomad and it is low mileage I would say keep it and forget buying a Voyager.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #17

Hey Bro, It is a small world afterall ------- where have I heard that before???

Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #18

Thanks for all the input, I'm going to go ride one as soon as it warms up more.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Good one CJ. 72,000 miles on my 07. Had the dealer grease the u-joints once at 40,000 miles. Boy what a pain in the ass that was.
I change my own rear gear oil when ever I think it needs it.
Shaft drive is the way to go. The only reason the manufactures went to belts, in my opinion , is they cut manufacturing costs.
Not everybody is like you, TC. (and thank God for that! ). I used to service my driveshaft every time I replaced the rear tire. Since I used to either change the tire myself or remove the wheel/tire assembly and take it to have it changed, I would use that opportunity to service the driveshaft and swingarm.

I admit that may have been overkill, but removing the rear wheel is half the work of doing a complete teardown of the rear end, and I didn't mind doing the work. I wasn't suggesting that this is something that needs to done frequently, but it does involve more work than checking and/or adjusting a drive belt.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #20

Thats nuts, you must have posted this minutes after getting iff the phone with us.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-08-2012, 01:30 AM   #21
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I used to service my driveshaft every time I replaced the rear tire.
I service my driveshaft much more often than that.

(I think I've been watching too much House, MD.)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 03-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #22

Hey guys, Well after reading the post that this began with, I have the same question. I have a 05 1600 Nomad that I am very happy with, No problems, but I have the oportunity to trade for a 2011 1700 Vaquero and the payments would be the same. Trying to make up my mind if it is worth it. Any responses to that? I got to test ride the Vaquero and it vibrates more than my Nad, and is taller in the saddle. Is the vibration due to the belt drive, and can they be lowered any. Does any one think that the difference in the two bikes is worth it?

Thanks,
T

Old 03-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #23

Talon I have a red Vaquero and love it never rode a nomad but think they look good. I wouldn't trade my Vaq for one and yes you can lower it with progressive shocks. Or buy a mustang seat or have the factory seat lowered the Vaq has a low center of gravity. Hope that helps

Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #24

I had a 2010 Nomad and enjoyed the bike very much. I recently traded for a 2011 Vaquero (red) and have not looked back.

The nomad was very comfortable but somewhat susceptible to crosswinds. I find the vaquero, with its frame mounted fairing to be extemely stable in winds.

There is slightly more vibration but honestly, i don't notice it. The vaqueros use a different clutch to give the rider a better feel for the bike (so they advertise).

Hope that helps.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #25

I would put more weight into the opinion(s) from people that have actually owned both bikes or at least ridden them. Even then, take opinions with a grain of salt as many (not all) people tend to "sell" what they currently ride.

As far as the merits of shaft vs. belt I used to be adament that shaft was the only way to go because it was the tried and true technology at the time (couple years ago). But times change and I would not hesitate to buy either belt or shaft.

The belts have been around long enough now that they have shown their durability and some performance advantages.

The maintenence issue on shaft/belt is really splitting hairs. Changing the fluid on these shaft drives is nothing. There have been hundreds of thousands of miles put on these without anything but occassional fluid changes and virtually no issues reported.

I was surprised to read the one post that indicated vibration issues on 3 of the old style Nomads. I don't notice any vibration in my 1500 and have not noticed many posts about vibration issues in the 1500 or 1600.

How you use your bike will be a big factor. Do you commute on it? Do you ride 2 up much? Do you live in cool or hot climate?

I think the 6th gear would be nice when you are cruising at 80 but not much advantage at 65. Do you ride at high speeds much? Cruise control would be great all the time!

The fit/seating and the heat issue would be my deciding points. I am tall so the Voyager may not be as comfortable.

When I am in stop and go traffic I get heat from my 1500 too but I do not ride in stop and go much. Most of my riding is long distance or away from traffic as I don't use my bike for commuting.

When looking for opinions I usualy do a lot of reading of reviews but don't put much stock into individual reviews but I really pay attention to consistency. Like heat on the first generation 1700's, the POG on the 1999 Nomads, the tension extenders on the 1500/1600, the nice room for taller riders on the 1500/1600, the vibration on older HD's, the crappy OEM tires on the 1500/1600, etc.

I don't know that you can really make a bad decision on a metric bike anymore. Most are bulletproof, functional and easily modified.

Good luck.

Last edited by schoeney; 03-04-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #26

Thanks for the opinions. Still trying to make up my mind, I may have to test ride it again to really make the decision. I want a fairing and stereo, but don't know the difference between frame mounted and fork mounted. I can put one on mine for 400-1200 dollars or spend that for all the other amenities that I would end up having to put on the Vaq. Oh well, a little more thinking.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #27
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
Thanks for the opinions. Still trying to make up my mind, I may have to test ride it again to really make the decision. I want a fairing and stereo, but don't know the difference between frame mounted and fork mounted. I can put one on mine for 400-1200 dollars or spend that for all the other amenities that I would end up having to put on the Vaq. Oh well, a little more thinking.
If you ride in cross winds or on the interstate in truck traffic you will appreciate the frame mounted fairing. All knowledgeable riders, and all motojournalists agree that a frame mounted fairing provides a better ride in windy conditions and lighter more nimble steering. Good luck with your decision.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 03-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #28

I've had frame mounted fairings and don't like them especially in crosswinds but these were on cafe racers back in the days. Imo. I think the bike of choice is about the style and purpose you want. Unfortunately for me, Kawasaki doesn't make the 1600 anymore, so when it comes time to purchase a new bike..hmm...what to do? I don't care for the voyager at all and the vaquero imo is just missing something, maybe in the next yr. or two with newer styles that something might appear.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #29
Top Contributor

Bdog. Have you ridden a Voyager or Vaquero ? If you get the chance to ride one I think that maybe your opinion of them could change ?
I went from an 05 Nomad to a 2010 Voyager and at first wondered if I had made a big mistake. Now after 3,000 kms the memories of the Nomad are starting to fade and I am beginning to appreciate the Voyager more and more. They are both great bikes. I heard recently from a Yamaha dealer that there is a strong suspicion that Yamaha are going to introduce a new Venture next year with the Raider engine. Maybe that would take your fancy ?

Old 03-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #30

I just recently bought a 2010 voyager while trading in my 2008 nomad. There is quite a bit of difference in not only the weight but the shifting seems to be very loud, almost like a harley. Is this normal for the 1700cc engines? The 1600 nomad was very smooth shifting. Also, for those of you that have a voyager, at what speed do you feel comfortable shifting into overdrive that doesn't lug your engine down? I only have 750 miles on this bike and haven't quite got it broken in. Do these issues get better with mileage? One more question. Is there an aftermarket remedy for the heat coming off the engine similar to the ones they are putting on the 2012 voyagers? Thank you very much for any information you can give me on this.