Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #16

I found a bike someone else did something similar, but I can't find any more details or sound bites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6102a.jpg (98.8 KB, 105 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #17
Advanced Member

Looks good so far! I can't leave anything alone either! I got a Vance & Hines Bagger muffler on my Ridgeline ( I gutted it and built a slightly different baffle - was trying to get the right sound). I am still trying to find a Roadglide front fairing for cheap cause I think that will be my next mod!
Keep sending updates on the project - it way cool!

Old 11-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #18
Top Contributor

I've thought alot about what a RG fairing would look like on a Nomad, too. If I could find someone local with a RG, I'd see about taking some detailed pics and getting some dimensions. There's a central (main) mount to the frame or triple tree then 2 others that mount to the engine guards. If I was any good with Photo Shop, I'd mock one up. I'm guessing it would resemble a Voyager on steroids.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Last edited by Monkeyman; 11-11-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #19
Advanced Member

There is a guy on the Delphi Kawasaki Riders Forum that has the older Electra Glide fairing on his Nomad and it looks pretty nice! I think the newer Road Glide fairing with the new style lights and dash would look cool! And I too suck with Photo shop!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #20

Here ya go....

VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #21

Would not a Vaquero fairing be about the same as a Road Glide

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 11-12-2011, 02:28 AM   #22
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindgy View Post
There is a guy on the Delphi Kawasaki Riders Forum that has the older Electra Glide fairing on his Nomad and it looks pretty nice! I think the newer Road Glide fairing with the new style lights and dash would look cool! And I too suck with Photo shop!
Electra Glide is the batwing fairing. Road Glide (and the earlier Tour Glide) is the larger frame mounted fairing.

Jared --- Thanks for the pic.

That looks nice. Things seem to line up well. Not sure what he added under the fairing on the sides or if it was even necessary. Not digging the Drifter fender. Assuming everything lines up well around the forks, the only real issue would be mounting. I'd love to know how that was done.

Anyone have any contact info on him? I'd love some better pics and a description of how he mounted that. There would be more work involved than the EG fairing, I'm sure.

Tom --- Same basic concept like the stock Nomad is the same basic concept as the Road King. Carried out much differently though. The RG has the speedo/tach mounted in a pod to the triple tree. The rest of the guages are mounted in the inner fairing as is the radio/speakers. There are 2 fairly large glove boxes in the RG fairing. Don't know how big the Vaquero/Voyager glove boxes are.

Price is an issue, too. You can find an inner and outer EG fairing set for $100 if you try and have patience. I haven't seen a RG set for less than about $600. That's not including gauges/stereo/speakers/mounts. I'm thinking you'd end up with around a grand in it but it would be well worth it as it would be pretty unique.

I'll stop rambling. Just gets me excited to think I'm not the only one with this crazy idea.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 11-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #23

Looks like your doing a good job on them . I like doing the Dragon "Deals Gap" So they may be to close to the ground for me. But we sometimes must do what we do, Rite. I'll be watching for the end results.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #24
Advanced Member

I have the Premiux now - but I am still on the look out for a Roadglide set up! I found a thrashed outer at a Swap meet but they guy wanted way way too much money -so I walked. The mounting may not be as bad as you think - the bottom mounts off the crash guards and the top there are guys making custom mounts ( for raked front ends) so I looked at a couple of pictures and I'm pretty sure I could fab up a mount easily. Since the inner fairing only has the speakers, pockets and the radio hole, there isn't a whole lot in there - I think the Headlight assembly is what would cost a bundle! Still think it would be way cool!

Old 11-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #25
Top Contributor

I did a lot of surfing over the weekend. I see how the HD OEM mount bolts to the frame. If we could drill a couple holes right behind the steering area, I think it would be easy. A couple companies (including HD, I think) make a mount that eliminates the crash bar mounts. Might need something welded on to the down tubes but very do-able. I'm looking for someone local with a RG to get some better pics and measurements.

Cost really is the issue. Inners seem to be as expensive (if not more) than the outers. I can find headlight assys for fairly cheap (under $100). There are 3 (or 4, depending on which lower mounts you use) brackets necessary. One mounts the inner to the frame, and another is for the stereo (which appears to mount in conjunction with the frame mount). Not sure you can mount a stereo without that 2nd bracket. Then there are the 1 or 2 lower mounts.

See? I'm excited and rambling again and I hijacked the thread. My apologies, all.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 12-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #26

Jes..I like what your doing there and I totally understand your motive. Keep up the excellent work..John

Old 12-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #27

The brackets turned out MUCH simpler than I first thought they would be. With a piece of 2.5" angle iron and some rivets, these puppies are done. I even had them chromed for a whopping $40 to prevent corrosion. I made the brackets full length to enable additional rivets and prevent any twisting of the carbon while tightening the bolts.
I tested multiple styles of rivets too with a junk carbon fiber muffler I bought on Craigslist for $20. The one I settled on is pictured below (in assembly, the rivet reaches through about 1/4" inch. of material)

The only regret I have so far was forgetting to have a nut welded in place to accept the hanger bolts before having the brackets plated. Oh, well, it's still easy to install, and I'll be sure to put on a dab of blue loctite. The only thing left to do is make pipes to connect these mufflers to the existing headers.

My wife and I are taking a trip to Ukraine this month, so I won't get to work on this again until 2012, but I thought I'd share my progress.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #28

Looking good! Enjoy your trip and come back safe and sound.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 01-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #29

Je have you got your pipes finished if so post some pics so we can see them maybe here them.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #30

I just dropped my bike off at a shop today. They're going to do some custom pipe work to hook up these mufflers. I'm in and out of town for business the next three weeks, but I can't wait to see what happens!