Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-24-2022, 01:49 PM   #1

Sqeaky Chirping from lower front when under load?

I have googled this and was surprised to find some other posts where people mentioned "chirping" but that's what it sounds like. I suppose there are many possible sources but will ask anyway. I have an 06 1600 with about 62k which has always ran great with frequent syn oil changes.

Yesterday for the first time I heard a new noise going through some mountains and only when I was on the gas uphill. Pull in the clutch, rev it up and no chirping. Only does it when accelerating but cruising 70 or 80 seems fine. Sounds like the front down by the radiator and I did see a post here from many years ago where someone had bad radiator grommets that caused the squeak so I need to check that.

Tapped on the radiator screen and it seems loose and rattles around a little so need to check that as well but figured if that was the source it would be chirping all the time, not just under a load?

Saw a post somewhere where someone mentioned noisy injectors? Many people just say don't worry about it, they all make funny noises :)

Did the cam tension extenders not too long ago and it runs just fine. Haven't look at it much yet, just happened yesterday but thought I would ask for advice :)

thx!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-25-2022, 09:01 AM   #2

Put some oil on the rad grommets.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Put some oil on the rad grommets.
Checked the top grommet and it was really worn. I will replace all 3 & oil as recommended.

So just revving up the when coasting or stopped will not cause the same vibration in the radiator & contact with the grommets but when accelerating and when there is more of a load, something shifts on the motor differently & affects the radiator differently? Just curious :)

Thanks Mick!!

Old 11-06-2022, 07:00 PM   #4

No more squeak, thanks Mick and hope you are doing well! Every once in a while I get the tapping noise up top when I leave it sit for a few days but not very often at all and with over 60k she sounds nice & smooth :)

I remember someone saying that the short rides were very bad for your engine and they would always go a few extra miles so the bike ran for at least 20 minutes or something like that.

By now I have prob made 100's of beer runs to my local corner store on my 06 with 60k & a lot of rides to my girlfriends house that is about 7 houses away from me.

So I reckon its more of the frequency of maintence & maybe the quality of the oil & always using synthetic?

Old 11-07-2022, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualgeorge View Post
No more squeak, thanks Mick and hope you are doing well! Every once in a while I get the tapping noise up top when I leave it sit for a few days but not very often at all and with over 60k she sounds nice & smooth :)

I remember someone saying that the short rides were very bad for your engine and they would always go a few extra miles so the bike ran for at least 20 minutes or something like that.

By now I have prob made 100's of beer runs to my local corner store on my 06 with 60k & a lot of rides to my girlfriends house that is about 7 houses away from me.

So I reckon its more of the frequency of maintence & maybe the quality of the oil & always using synthetic?
I dont hold with that mate. Wthin seconds of starting, the oil is where it needs to be, so how can it cause any problems ? As for my health. My biking days are over now. Just waiting for the tank and bag, to come back from the paint shop, then i can sell it, and buy a car. Just in time for winter tooNo more freezing my arse off every time i want to go anywhere, but sat in traffic, is really going to piss me off.

Login or Register to Remove Ads