Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #1

Pissed Heat and dealer comment..

I've only had my 11 Vaquero for 3 wks. It has 260 miles on it and I'm real unhappy with the amount of heat coming from the engine and performance. I've had all kinds of bikes including a Boss Hoss that didnt give off the amount of heat I'm getting from this bike. My temp stays between 1/2 and 3/4 while moving and just a little short of red when stopped. I didnt expect a sport bike but I didnt think it would run slower than a 750 either. I think theres something wrong with this bike. I took it to the dealer and they said "they do run hot, 1700 is a big engine". Shop said coolant is good and fan is running. I had a vtx1800 and it was very fast and nowhere near the amount of heat. The next day I call the dealer and ask what they would do on a trade in for a stratoliner deluxe. Wait for it.... he said "I could go 10k for yours, people are not real happy with these bikes, there not selling well. The heat is an issue for a bunch of guys and the powers just not there. Were practicully giving them away, he said he just sold a new 2012 green for 14k" Funny though when I called the dealer to ask about the vaquero, not one negative word was heard. My bust for not demanding a test ride prior to purchase. I thought it was water cooled how bad could it be. My mistake! My 79 KZ650 was faster than this.
I expected to buy a windshield and mustang seat. Now, I guess wrapping the exhaust, getting chucksters air kit, pipes, FCU, synthetic oil and engine ice is the only option. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Is anyone else getting this much heat from theres? I'm just PO'd to have to spend that much after buying it to be able to ride without a heat stroke. Then theres no gaurantee it will fix the heat problem.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRay View Post
I've only had my 11 Vaquero for 3 wks. It has 260 miles on it and I'm real unhappy with the amount of heat coming from the engine and performance. I've had all kinds of bikes including a Boss Hoss that didnt give off the amount of heat I'm getting from this bike. My temp stays between 1/2 and 3/4 while moving and just a little short of red when stopped. I didnt expect a sport bike but I didnt think it would run slower than a 750 either. I think theres something wrong with this bike. I took it to the dealer and they said "they do run hot, 1700 is a big engine". Shop said coolant is good and fan is running. I had a vtx1800 and it was very fast and nowhere near the amount of heat. The next day I call the dealer and ask what they would do on a trade in for a stratoliner deluxe. Wait for it.... he said "I could go 10k for yours, people are not real happy with these bikes, there not selling well. The heat is an issue for a bunch of guys and the powers just not there. Were practicully giving them away, he said he just sold a new 2012 green for 14k" Funny though when I called the dealer to ask about the vaquero, not one negative word was heard. My bust for not demanding a test ride prior to purchase. I thought it was water cooled how bad could it be. My mistake! My 79 KZ650 was faster than this.
I expected to buy a windshield and mustang seat. Now, I guess wrapping the exhaust, getting chucksters air kit, pipes, FCU, synthetic oil and engine ice is the only option. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Is anyone else getting this much heat from theres? I'm just PO'd to have to spend that much after buying it to be able to ride without a heat stroke. Then theres no gaurantee it will fix the heat problem.

Ain't that always the way,,like when you buy a convertible,they charge you more because,well, it's a convertible. When you go to trade it in ,you get less for it because,well,it's a convertible.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Top Contributor

I have ridden in 30c plus temps on my 2010 Voyager and must admit I do not get stuck in traffic much. The heat coming off the engine is hotter than my Nomad when stopped at lights etc, but its not unbearable.

As for the amount of power from the 1700, enough for me, even with a passenger.
I never expected a 900 lb bike to be fast.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #4

If you read the threads on this site, you will find that everyone who has a Vaquero loves it. They do run hotter than some other bikes. All the 1700s do. Read thru the threads and see what other people are doing.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 08-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #5

That's why I'm confused on the heat. Seems a lot of riders are saying they run a little above 1/2 (but around there when moving). This things just seems to be real sluggish and running as hot as I stated in the post. Guess it's back to the dealer to see what's wrong. I also never expected it to be "fast", but never imagined it to this bad. I think it's one of the best looking bikes on the market and I hope theres an issue that can be fixed to where I can ride it without feeling sick after 30 mins on it. I rode a friends stock 1700 Nomad and it's nothing like this one. Sure it gives off some heat but not unbearable.
Just seeing if anyone else had one this bad or if I just got lucky.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #6

Maybe try to find another Vaquero or Voyager to test ride just as a comparison. Might give you an idea if yours has a problem or they all do.

I know you can throw two identical new bikes on a dyno and get two very different results.

Good luck.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Are you riding in a lot of stop and go traffic in very warm temps ?

Some have stated that the Voyager runs a little hotter than the Vaquero due to the added wind protection. Maybe thats why your buddys Nomad runs cooler, not so much wind protection so the heat is dissipated faster ?

The 2012 Voyagers have a system called KAMS that directs heat away from the engine/rider.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #8

Quote:
That's why I'm confused on the heat. Seems a lot of riders are saying they run a little above 1/2 (but around there when moving). This things just seems to be real sluggish and running as hot as I stated in the post. Guess it's back to the dealer to see what's wrong. I also never expected it to be "fast", but never imagined it to this bad. I think it's one of the best looking bikes on the market and I hope theres an issue that can be fixed to where I can ride it without feeling sick after 30 mins on it. I rode a friends stock 1700 Nomad and it's nothing like this one. Sure it gives off some heat but not unbearable.
Just seeing if anyone else had one this bad or if I just got lucky.
If your friends 1700 Nomad is comparable to the heat you're experiencing with you Vaq than I'd assume there is something wrong. Try a different dealer. Your warranty is good at any dealer.

How was his Nomad's power compared to your Vaq?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #9

I have just under 16000 k on 2011 vaquero and only gets to 3 quarter mark in town. But
I live in Mn. so our temps are only in the 80 to 90 range. On the road today 370 + Mi. it
ran under half mark it was in the low 80s

Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #10

Quote:
I've only had my 11 Vaquero for 3 wks.
My temp stays between 1/2 and 3/4 while moving and just a little short of red when stopped. I didnt expect a sport bike but I didnt think it would run slower than a 750 either.
Do you guys have any other suggestions? Is anyone else getting this much heat from theres?
I ride mostly in town around here in Wichita, KS. The days lately have been pushing highs of 99 on the cool days and 108 or better on the hotter days. I usually expect the temp to go to 3/4 mark anytime I'm in traffic and I reached about 7/8 one day. The best trick I've found is to spread your knees out from the tank. The lowers are skinner then they look and I can catch a little breeze that cools the crotch area and thus the whole body. This is a thread on here where someone rapped the pipes, it helped cool things a little http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...hlight=wrapped. He posted pictures on the second page.

As for the power when pulling on the highway I find 2nd and 3rd are all that's needed. At a rolling speed of 20 mph at the foot of a typical uphill on ramp and a steady roll on the throttle never going over 4500 rpm the bike will easily reach 80 mph ever time.

I think the big problem is we get convinced that the bike needs to shift by 3000 rpm. Peak torque is at 2700 rpm and maximum horsepower is at 5000 rpm. that means your power band is from around 2500 rpm to 5500 rpm.
As the old saying goes "USE IT OR LOSE IT!"
VBA #02089

Previous Bikes:
75 Yamaha 175
09 Vulcan 900 Classic
11 Vulcan Vaquero
Harleys:
75 Sportster XLCH
84 Sportster 1000
85 FXRT
79 Low Rider

Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #11
Top Contributor

You won't feel as much heat on a Nomad. The Vaq has lowers (sort of) which keeps some of the "outside" air from flowing over you, trapping some of that hot engine heat that rises up to cook your right leg and man parts. That's one of the reasons I doubt I'll ever buy a Vaquero and one of the reasons I decided that a Harley probably won't be my next bike. I'm not sure why some big V Twins feel so much cooler than others as I've never tried to visually compare them.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #12

IndyRay,

I too had a VTX1800 previously, which made my new 1700 Classic LT seem very sluggish in comparison. The main problem is the throttle lag on the 1700's due to Kawi's new "Throttle-By-Wire" system.

Before you do any performance mods such as Air Kit, Pipes or Fuel Manager, you should get the RACNRAY Throttle Mod. For well under $100 this is, by far, the most significant performance mod you can do to a 1700. No-one who has installed this has been disappointed!

I honestly did not believe how much this improved throttle response! It still is not quite as quick as my VTX1800, but vastly improved. If you did a side-by-side comparison of a 1700 with the RACNRAY Throttle Mod, and one without, you would swear there is something wrong with the stock bike!

I also found that it took a few thousand miles before the engine really seemed to rev freely. Both performance and mileage improved after the "break-in" period.

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 08-08-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Mega-Contributor

260 miles and you're ready to throw in the towel?

Maybe there's a reason they don't allow test rides.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
260 miles and you're ready to throw in the towel?

Maybe there's a reason they don't allow test rides.
Or rent them. At least with HD, you can rent a bike for as long as you want to test ride as it were and many dealers will put the rental cost against a new purchase. That said, When I test rode a Voyager and Ultra, they would only allow a short test ride, like 5 miles or so. With the BMW, I did about 20 miles. A test ride is a must before purchasing any bike or car.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 08-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to galax83061
Try riding behind a wounded warrior on a bycicle going 20mph for a hour. I was in the red really fast on my Vaquero. I was really worried so I would run ahead of the pack and come back in line. I had 1600 miles on my Vaquero and heat is there but it does not bother me that much.
VBA #02024