Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #1

Cam Chain Extenders..Time'ing Marks?

..Well it's time for me to ask you "Big Guy's' for some detailed Information !

I have my Big Assed Bike up on the jack, for Cam Chain Extenders installation !

I'v learned to maintain paranoia...so have read and re-read all the info here-on, several times !

My first confuser is ...(My Bike is a 2002 1500fi Nomad)... I have taken off the crank bolt cover, and the timing indicator cover...removed, a front and a rear spark plug, to assist in rotateing (counter clockwise) the engine via a socket wrench...

My timing marks...at the moment the compression is released (thumb over the plug hole method)...I dont see any "mark"....rotateing a bit further a mark appears but no "F" and no "R"...a bit more rotation , and a RED Splotch appear's (look's like red nail polish)..add a bit more rotation and another mark appear's identical to the first one !

...I have rotated the engine thru several full turns and have yet to spot any marks "R" or "F" indicators

I have a Clymer service manuel for a 1999/2004 Vucan 1500 Classic -"carb'ed model"...that has less useful info than my 1939 Chilton for Ford's ;>)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #2

Mine was picking up oil making the f and r hard to see I had to turn real slow counter clockwise.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #3

Why don't guys buy a service manual ?????

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 06-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #4

Mac posted some great pics and very helpful info ....

I ask a ton of questions before doing mine mac posted some great info and pics here that will help . http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showt...t=chain&page=3 i like you didnt see the f and r to start with but what was happening was where they were marked was picking up oil as i spun the engine over covering the f and r so i started turning it slower and letting it sit a sec in a grove it seemed stuck in wiped away some oil with my little finger and there was the letter.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #5

..I DID Buy a "service manuel" but couldnt get the 02 fuel injection version
And beside's...Chilton is dead and gone...so we all are dealing with the hyro-glyfic's and symbols..that reading has been dummed down too ! (just my perverse sense of humor oozing to the surface :>)

My real need is to know ..of the three marks (after compression-release) indicates TDC for front, and for rear cyl's ?

Thank's teachme...I'll go give it another try.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2004-Ka...92090d&vxp=mtr

Like this ????

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #7

...Yea.. I was not seeing the "F" & the "R" mark due to oil not draining off fast enough (and I'm a -gimp-) and I wasnt bending over far enough to see the marks as they appeared on the right side of the sighting port...

Progress so far...got the rear extender removed -only had 2 clicks left in the travel- the gasket came off with the unit in perfect condition.

I was going to use the method for removeing the OEM extender-end..of tapping it off with a wrench clamped in the vise and a hammer & punch.. After several hard whacks..and sending the extender unit flying across the garage...I Opted for the Dremel Tool Method, with a cutting wheel in the dremel..it cut like hot butter and I got thru the ring so quick I nearly nicked the shaft...I cut another slice in the opposite side and broke it loose with a big screw driver..and a good firm twist in the slot I had cut !

Chuckster's Extensions fit my extender shaft -almost loose- so I put High Temp Locktight (red) in the cap and clamped the shaft in a squeeze clamp, and carefully removed all "over flow" of the loc-tite (be sure to retract the shaft far enough to clamp just the ends of the shaft, and I only clamped it firmly"..)

I'm taking a few photo's and will edit them in, later, after I'v got it whipped !

Last edited by Silent Sam; 06-15-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:38 PM   #8

Congrats so far. Good luck bro.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #9

Did mine the other day and basically it was a piece of cake! Followed the instructions posted on both Gadjet's site and Jared's site and just walked through it one step at a time. At 61,000 km (36,000 miles) I was due. I had 2 clicks left on the front and 4 left on the back cylinder.

I was intimidated by all the talk about doing them, and the instructions seemed pretty complex. But as you are going through the steps, it all becomes pretty clear what to do. I would say that anyone with some degree of mechanical skill and basic metric hand tools can do it in their own garage. No need to go to the dealer for this job.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 06-14-2014, 01:26 AM   #10

..After doing the "rear ajuster"..and with the help of all here--and viewing the reassembly video by exharley (Top Dead Center)..I got thru the easy one..

Now have -finally- managed to remove the front extender..it would not come out (air induction cross tube in place- but "loosened")... til I removed the small lock screw on the side of the extender housing...

So now I contemplate re-mounting it, after the new part is attached...and the lock screw is required to be in place during reassembly ! ?

At the moment it seems the biggest clean up I face when I'm finished will be getting all the blood off the engine !...but my hands are not real small I guess !

The front ajuster came out, with just the same shaft use as the rear one..2 click's remaining !

Last edited by Silent Sam; 06-15-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #11

Addendum: I was surprised that the front ajuster assembly..lock bolt secured...actually was a pretty easy fit back into the front cly ... BUT !

With the cap off, I accidently slide the ajuster shaft forward and had to remove it, and start over...

try #2 was semi successful..I was able to get the outer housing mount allen screw in...and after an hour or two, and considering a cutting tool removal of the 'floor" of the air induction cross-over tube...I managed to -start- the inner housing allen screw (and didnt accidently shove the ajuster shaft in again)

With the Cap Off, I was able to "snug" the inner allen mounting screw..but in no-way could -torque it- or even slightly tighten it down (useing a ball end 5mm allen wrench..absolutely nothing else will fit in there...and the ball-end 5mm allen wrench only -just- fits with the housing cap off)

..SO screw that..I put the housing cap on (and the long spring caused the ajuster shaft to -insert- til the ajuster shaft was just even with the outer edge of the housing cap threads...screw that to !)...the cap is on and the lock bolt was loosed.til a nice loud Click was heard..then that lock bolt was snugged up !

What -seems- to remain is how to tighten that inner mounting allen screw....the 5mm ball-end, allen wrench wont even come close to fitting into that allen screw, with the assembly housing "cap" in place ! ???

I'v got quite a bit of wrenching experience and a -fairly decent- set of tools, tho many are "found on the road, brand"...as for doing the extenders on the 2002 1500fi Nomad...I dont recommend it for folks that have very little wrenching experience !

Does anyone have a -SPECIAL TOOL that they use to get that inner mounting ..allen screw torqued down with ?

Old 06-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #12

5:00 PM...I put a drop of hi temp loctite on that inner allen screw...where the head seats against the housing... (what can I say)

re-assembled those items I had to move in order to try working in that -space-

Then I Fired up the Big Assed Bike (still up on the jack) ...not a lot quieter ...and using my wooden dowel listening device...I detect a very slightly quieter front cyl than the rear one..but then the front ajuster shaft did get extended befor I got the cap on !-So the front cam chain may be a bit tighter than the rear one (however it was only long spring pressure that extended it)
Considering I'm real "anal" about doing things just perfect--I dont give myself but an average score for getting this job done ! (considering the quality of work done by some local shop's..I'm sure my result is still far superior !)

Old 06-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #13

Well done you Sam, going to have a go at mine sometime this summer, 34500m so its due a look i reckon. How was the steak by the way ?

Old 06-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #14

Easiest way to do it is to do an air intake kit (Chuckster's single plate, for example) and remove the plastic crossover tube beforehand. Makes that front cylinder adjuster assembly a whole lot easier to get at.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 06-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #15

...OK canuckrider, What has to be removed..to be able to get the air induction cross over tube outta there ?...(just for future reference , in the event I ever assist anyone with the same procedure -2002 1500fi Nomad)

mick56 ...the steak is still in the refridg. I plan to grill it on my BBQ Grill this evening...will enjoy it with Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, and a cold Sierra Nevada "Ruthless" !....(@ $11.00/lb......I think I need to move to Montevideo,Urg. A BEEF COUNTRY and affordable prices..)

Last edited by Silent Sam; 06-15-2014 at 04:03 PM.