Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #1

Power pro for vaquero

Has anyone put the cobra power pro on their vaquero and does it work ok. I read another thread that said it mat not work properly.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I have the PowrPro on my Voyager with Chucksters air intake and stock mufflers.
Very pleased with the results, and no decel popping.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #3

I went to the PCV and got it dynoed, I had the Cobra, was not happy with it, I am happy with the results I have now, plus the PCV while not "automatic" is fully adjustable. I had the tri-ovals and had popping, went back to the stock and it went away because the stock mufflers are better at muffling the popping, if you listen closely you can still hear it when you slow down.

I now have the V&H 2-1 Pro-pipe, hypercharger, and PCV, IMO save your money and go with the PCV
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 01-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Top Contributor

How do you save money after buying the PCV and then having it dynoed ?
If you want aftermarket slip ons and want to cure the decel popping, sure go with the PCV.

If you want the bike to run better and dont want the extra noise of aftermarket slip ons then I see nothing wrong with the Powerpro.

It does what I wanted it to do.

Last edited by redjay; 01-20-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #5

The cost of the PCV and the dyno, is pretty well the same as what I paid for the Cobra, remember this is Canada, the land of "let's see how much the dealers can get before the customer bleeds"

To each their own, I tried both and will stick with the PCV, you like the Cobra. I also gained a bit over stock with the Dyno tune as well. Hard to say what the Cobra gave me as I never dynoed that.

It boils down to what ever the owner is happy with.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #6

PC-V for me as well. I have no knowledge of the Cobra so can't speak to that one. I installed the PCV myself in under an hour. I run a V&H 2 into 1 Propipe and an open air intake. I have slight popping on a hard decel but nothing that bothers me to the point of messing with it.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #7

I will be honest I'm looking for something I don't have to dyno. There is no place close that does it. I'm looking for automatic. If there's another brand out there that does it I'd buy that one. Just trying to find out if it will work on Vaquero. Thanks so much for you input. This is my first Kawasaki so just need a little help.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoman40 View Post
I will be honest I'm looking for something I don't have to dyno. There is no place close that does it. I'm looking for automatic. If there's another brand out there that does it I'd buy that one. Just trying to find out if it will work on Vaquero. Thanks so much for you input. This is my first Kawasaki so just need a little help.
Power Commander also has the auto tuner available, it involves installing an oxygen sensor though.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 01-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #9

Anybody know about what the going rate is for a dyno tune if the PC5 is already installed?

VBA #01922

Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #10

Does it work better than the cobra?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #11

I did not put my bike on the dyno. Installed the PCV and downloaded the MAP for my application. Like smokey said, with the auto tune you are going to be drilling holes into your exhaust and installing a bung for the O2 sensor to go in. My personal mechanic has stated to me he has rode Vaqueros with the autotune, and says mine seems to run better without. Again, I have no experience with the Cobra system but can tell you my experiences with the PCV.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #12

The Cobra Power Pro Tuner has a very limited ability to alter the air/fuel ratio on deceleration.
If you have stock mufflers then as already said you will not hear much if any popping on decel as the stock mufflers along with the internal catylizers minimize or eliminate that occurance.
Most skoots with aftermarket pipes or slip-ons will experience popping on decel even with the Power Pro. The power pro is an electronic accelerator pump that senses "rate of change" in the injector signals on acceleration and modifies the injector signal to increase fuel delivery.
Bottom line, due to the Power Pro's design it is limited to what it can do and what kind of mods a skoot has also poses thos same limits to that unit.
The PCV allows tuning in 250 rpm increments from 0% throttle up to full throttle in stages. The PCV is also available with ignition timing adjustability which can improve the performance.

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 01-21-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchinguy View Post
Anybody know about what the going rate is for a dyno tune if the PC5 is already installed?
I can only go by my cost here in Canada which was around $350 with the tax in. The PCV itself I got for a very good price of $249, a little more than the Cobra autotune, but I like it better, nice thing with the PCV is you still have the ability to alter the map if you wish.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 AM   #14

I have the Power Pro on my 11 Vaquero with Cobra Tri Oval Slip ons and a K&N high flow air filter. The bike screams, huge increase on low end torque, bike does not lug at all. Yes, there is a little poping on decal, but I don't know anyone who runs the Tri Ovals that does not have this problem. I switched to 87 octane and it reduced the issue by 90%. Bottom line, the Power Pro is like putting a turbo on the bike, kick ass, I can go from 70 to 100 in 5th gear in about 3-4 seconds.
Cobra Power Pro
K&N High Intake Air Filter
EOM 15 Inch Windshield
EOM Aux Driving Lights
EOM iPod Kit, iPod Touch
Mustang Wide Touring Studded Seat
Castrol Full Synthetic Racing Oil
Kuryakyn Black Iso Grips
Kuryakyn Stiletto Grip Ends
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Black Scythe Mirrors
Michelin Commander II Tires

Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Tkx Kevin, I have the tri-oval on my 2010 Nomad and will the same mods as u in March,,, glad to hear you like it !!!
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags
6.5 MPX hertz in pods