Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #1

white lights

hello, has anybody put a 100w halogen white light bulb in their headlight and 60/55w in the 2 spotlights, if so did your bike melt ? all the best, mick.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #2

i would go hid over halogen. i just need to find a light bar that will accept hid's. much brighter and use less power. i switched my headlight out over a month ago and have been very happy with it

Old 12-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #3

Previous owner put an HID in my headlight. It's hit or miss on whether it'll come on. Not sure where to check on it. Looks like the ballast box is sitting under the tank on top of the front cylinder. Any ideas on what's wrong with it? Should I try and move the box?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #4

i switched to a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra...uses the same wattage but lights the road much better....down side to this bulb and all other supper bulbs (including hid) is the amount to current or voltage they use....the Ultra uses the same, so keeps the wiring to the light good but the bright bulb only lasts like 1/10th the hours of a regular head light.

if you run higher amp bulbs (100 watt ect) will draw lots of power thru the wiring, getting the connections at the bulb and switches very hot...can cause melting....

hid runs lower total wattage but much higher voltages at the bulb and most cheap ballasts can not take the abuse in cars much less bikes.....

waiting for led to take over.....

Old 12-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alangoff View Post
i switched to a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra...uses the same wattage but lights the road much better....down side to this bulb and all other supper bulbs (including hid) is the amount to current or voltage they use....the Ultra uses the same, so keeps the wiring to the light good but the bright bulb only lasts like 1/10th the hours of a regular head light.

if you run higher amp bulbs (100 watt ect) will draw lots of power thru the wiring, getting the connections at the bulb and switches very hot...can cause melting....

hid runs lower total wattage but much higher voltages at the bulb and most cheap ballasts can not take the abuse in cars much less bikes.....

waiting for led to take over.....
gentlemen, i thank you kindly for your replies, but it would seem to me that putting in a bulb that uses less power, ie, led, and then adding 2 spot/ driving lights will lower the call on the electrical system, thus no need for a relay? ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD PLEASE. all the best, mick.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #6

sounds like you have a ballast going south. i would replace it and relocate it to somewhere cooler. i have mine mounted under the tripple tree ( just behind the headlight housing) it stays plenty cool. hid headlights will require less power than the stock headlight with way brighter lighting. imo, halogen is a thing of the past.

the local motorcycle shop i got my hid kit from buys in bulk and sells the kits for $40.

at this point i have hid headlights in everything but my work truck. if i had my way, it would have them too.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
gentlemen, i thank you kindly for your replies, but it would seem to me that putting in a bulb that uses less power, ie, led, and then adding 2 spot/ driving lights will lower the call on the electrical system, thus no need for a relay? ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD PLEASE. all the best, mick.
i would put any additional lighting on a relay. its very and i mean very, simple to wire.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaysob View Post
sounds like you have a ballast going south. i would replace it and relocate it to somewhere cooler. i have mine mounted under the tripple tree ( just behind the headlight housing) it stays plenty cool. hid headlights will require less power than the stock headlight with way brighter lighting. imo, halogen is a thing of the past.

the local motorcycle shop i got my hid kit from buys in bulk and sells the kits for $40.

at this point i have hid headlights in everything but my work truck. if i had my way, it would have them too.
fyi...hid bulbs burn different then standard bulbs and do allow for a different and somewhat better light...when using the proper reflective optics...just putting an hid bulb into a standard light bucket will not yield the best possible light...and in states like wisconsin it is illegal... i have seen the quality of $40.00 hid kits....and have repaired the damage they have done in passenger cars and light trucks.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #9

I've been running a HID bulb in my stock bucket for about 4 years now, and according to my volt/load meter the draw is quiet a bit less. The light is way better than the halogen ever thought about being. It is the hi/low type bulb, and it switches between hi and low by actually moving the bulb up or down in the base. I have never been "flashed" at night by an oncoming car, except if my light was on bright. On low beam my spots are on, and they are LED sun spots. My turn signals up front are called "switch backs". They are cree LEDs, extremely bright. I have clear lenses, and while ridding they ar the same color white as my headlight and spots (6000K), and when you turn on the turn signal, that one switches to amber and blinks. When the blinker shuts off, it switches back to white, looks like I have 5 headlights.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #10

Vulcan E

I am extremely interested in your CREE LEd signal lights. I have an LED Headlight and drivings lights and I am very happy with the results. LED signals would seal the whole deal!

Dis you have to do anything other than install the bulb to get the signals to work with your flasher?

Do tell...

Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #11

Vulcan E

Also a close up picture would be nice of the light in the housing off. Also a shot with the signal flashing would be icing on the cake.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #12

the $40 hid kit works quite nice in my nomad. been very happy with it so far. i decided against the kit that moves the bulb because its another thing to fail. if im ever out and my ballast dies, i still have a standard "Bright" (although the hid is brighter) to get home with. to each their own.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseLikeRa View Post
Vulcan E

I am extremely interested in your CREE LEd signal lights. I have an LED Headlight and drivings lights and I am very happy with the results. LED signals would seal the whole deal!

Dis you have to do anything other than install the bulb to get the signals to work with your flasher?

Do tell...
Here's a link to the one's I have, check it out. You will need clear lenses and the supplied 50W 6-Ohm load resistors, one for each bulb. Watch those videos in the add..... That's what sold me on them, and they are bright.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Power-1...637728&vxp=mtr

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Last edited by VulcanE; 12-13-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #14

Fyi for anyone looking to have hid capability in a lightbar, chucksters light bar uses h3 bulbs and can easily be replaced with a xenon bulb.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:22 PM   #15

Exnon equal to brightness of an LED?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaysob View Post
Fyi for anyone looking to have hid capability in a lightbar, chucksters light bar uses h3 bulbs and can easily be replaced with a xenon bulb.
Ryan, it has been a while since this comment was made. Nevertheless, I went to the lightinthebox.com website looking for which xenon bulb you are referring to and it was hard to determine. Could you perchance share exactly which one it is? Secondly, any idea how bright is this exnon bulb is compared to an LED bulb? Thx.