Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

Question Looking for info on Insta-Trike

Does anyone on the forum have an Insta-Trike conversion or any one with any first hand information. Due to age and some related ailments, I am considering one for next riding season for my 2013 Voyager. New trike is just too cost prohibitive. I appreciate any input.
Chuckster Air Kit
Cobra Power Pro

Previous Rides
8-BMW's
5-Honda's
3-Yamaha"s
2-Suzuki's

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #2

I've got a Voyager conversion kit on my 2009 Nomad; it was already on the bike when I bought it, so the only thing I can tell from the site is that it should run around $3500-$4000. Having shoulder and knee issues myself, this makes it a lot easier to control that 800-pound behemoth....the steering as opposed to leaning took a little getting used to, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Top Contributor

What brand of conversion kit do you have ?

Old 08-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat1 View Post
I've got a Voyager conversion kit on my 2009 Nomad; it was already on the bike when I bought it, so the only thing I can tell from the site is that it should run around $3500-$4000. Having shoulder and knee issues myself, this makes it a lot easier to control that 800-pound behemoth....the steering as opposed to leaning took a little getting used to, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Do you have reverse and if not do you find it difficult to manually back the bike up?
Chuckster Air Kit
Cobra Power Pro

Previous Rides
8-BMW's
5-Honda's
3-Yamaha"s
2-Suzuki's

Old 08-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #5

Nah...no reverse gear, but I'm not having much difficulty at all with manually backing it up, but one peculiar little issue does arise when trying to check the rear tire air pressure...the conversion kit makes access a tad bit harder. Also, I'm going to wind up changing out the saddlebags because the extra wheels block me from opening the bags all the way, thus killing my storage.

Redjay, I'm not sure if mine has a particular model number, but Voyager seems to have a good system overall.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #6

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman46 View Post
Does anyone on the forum have an Insta-Trike conversion or any one with any first hand information. Due to age and some related ailments, I am considering one for next riding season for my 2013 Voyager. New trike is just too cost prohibitive. I appreciate any input.
I installed an Insta-trike, on my friends Harley Street Glide in June. He got used to it in about a week, and now he rides more than he ever did, and now his wife rides with him a lot. She never would ride before. He is 68 years old, and not to strong in the legs, so it was the best thing for him
He got the 12" wheels and the cost was 3300.00 delivered to my home, on a liftgate truck, with a pallet jack. Took about 3 hours to unpack it,and do the install. Took another hour to get it adjusted to his liking. Great deal.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #7

http://www.landingear.com/luplus.php check this out might be a better option for you still get to ride normal but help when needed for about the same price

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 08-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynker View Post
I installed an Insta-trike, on my friends Harley Street Glide in June. He got used to it in about a week, and now he rides more than he ever did, and now his wife rides with him a lot. She never would ride before. He is 68 years old, and not to strong in the legs, so it was the best thing for him
He got the 12" wheels and the cost was 3300.00 delivered to my home, on a liftgate truck, with a pallet jack. Took about 3 hours to unpack it,and do the install. Took another hour to get it adjusted to his liking. Great deal.
How did you find general construction of the kit, and is it still working out well for your friend. I also am considering the one with the 12'' wheels.
I really appreciate the feed back, thank you.
Chuckster Air Kit
Cobra Power Pro

Previous Rides
8-BMW's
5-Honda's
3-Yamaha"s
2-Suzuki's

Old 08-27-2014, 01:49 AM   #9

Cant tell you the "brand name" but we installed a trike conversion on my foster brothers Harley retaining the original rear wheel...

Biggest problem to date was when he rode it with a flat rear tire..didnt even know it was flat...ruined the tire and the wheel... cost $$ a bunch to repair !

Old 08-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

I am surprised that more people don't go to a lighter bike.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 08-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman46 View Post
How did you find general construction of the kit, and is it still working out well for your friend. I also am considering the one with the 12'' wheels.
I really appreciate the feed back, thank you.
I did find the unit very well made, and the instructions are spot on !! I would not hesitate to recommend this kit to anyone, as I think it is much better than the Voyager Kit. 4 bolts, and slide it out, and you are back on 2 wheels. Only part of the bracket remains on your bike, when on 2 wheels. Downside is, it is a little harder to check the air in your rear tire, but not that bad.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynker View Post
I did find the unit very well made, and the instructions are spot on !! I would not hesitate to recommend this kit to anyone, as I think it is much better than the Voyager Kit. 4 bolts, and slide it out, and you are back on 2 wheels. Only part of the bracket remains on your bike, when on 2 wheels. Downside is, it is a little harder to check the air in your rear tire, but not that bad.
How much more difficult does it make it to change the rear tire?
Chuckster Air Kit
Cobra Power Pro

Previous Rides
8-BMW's
5-Honda's
3-Yamaha"s
2-Suzuki's

Old 08-27-2014, 11:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
I am surprised that more people don't go to a lighter bike.
If I could find a bike that looked like my Nomad and was the same size but weighed 600 pounds I would buy it in a heartbeat
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #14

I had a Voyager kit on my 1500 Classic...........used it for about 9 months and then sold it (the kit not the bike). I'm not overly fond of trikes I guess. When the time comes, and it's getting close, I'm just going to opt for a smaller bike.