Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #1

WTF Dropped my bike today...more than once

Ever have one of those days where you think that perhaps riding your bike might not be the best idea? Well, today I had one of those days and ended up dropping my bike…not once…not twice…but three times. Yes, I dropped my bike three times in a span of 20 minutes.

Here is the rest of the story…

I was on the fence whether I should go riding today but since the weather was nice and wife wanted to go to a local shrine to pray for her recently deceased dad, I figured why the heck not. I rode my bike and she drove the car. She had to stop by the bank so I went ahead of her.

I've only been to this place once before and drove a car. I forgot that the shrine was located on a very steep hill and to get to the parking lot one has to go up a steep narrow driveway, which curves to the left. What I had also forgotten is that the main parking lot is also on a steep incline and there is a rather deep dip that runs the length of the lot from bottom to top. In order to get into the lot I had to cut through the dip diagonally but first I had to go over a big hump. I made up the curved driveway fine but must have been going too slowly because when I got over the hump and down into the dip the bike stopped suddenly. When it stopped it immediately started leaning to the left, downhill. There was nothing I could have done to stop it from going down. I am so happy this bike has crash bars in front and back. That saved it from any damage. I tried to pick the bike up myself but trying to lift an 800lb bike up hill is almost impossible, at least for me after 2 back surgeries. I tried every technique I could think of but the bike wouldn't' budge. Lucky, there were a couple of guys doing some maintenance in the area and they helped me lift it. So that was #1.

Once I got myself all squared away I decided to ride the bike straight up the hill, gently turn around and come down to an area that wasn't as steep as the original spot and park there. I pulled into a parking spot and...dropped the bike again but this time on its right side, again facing downhill and barely missing a parked car. At that point my wife had shown up and with her help I was able to pick up the bike by placing my butt on the seat and walking into it backwards. That was #2. At that point I had decided that I needed to park the bike down in a different lot, farther away.

Wife did her thing at the shrine and it was time for us to go home. At that point I was in a lot that was completely flat. I got on my bike and noticed that it didn't want to start right away. This was probably related to it being on its side twice already. The bike eventually fired up and I started to move out. I was going slowly and making a left turn when the bike stalled out. I had my wheel turned to the left so when the bike stopped, it immediately leaned to the left. I was not prepared for it so it went down again on its side. Again, I was able to pick it up by slowly walking into it backwards. This was #3.

The ride back home after that was uneventful. Things tend to happen in 3’s so hopefully I am done for a while.

This wasn't fun but at least now I know that I can pick up my bike, providing that it is not laying down on the side of a hill.

I don't know what the heck today was all about.
VBA #02996

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BigRed; 08-05-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #2

Bummer deal. At least there were no physical injuries suffered. I dropped mine right in my driveway once. Forgot to put the kickstand down. I felt so lame. Then, a month later, my son dropped his bike on mine and knocked it over in the driveway. Put a dent in my tank. I would have been upset but he was white as a sheet when he came in to tell me. It didn't seem like he needed any more stress at the time.

2005 1600 nomad

Old 08-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #3

I know you're trying to compete with me but I have 40 years of dropping bikes so you have a long way to go.

These Nomads are heavy bikes to get back up. No doubt about it. Here's a video on how to get a heavy bike up.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
Advanced Member

You should get a prize or something. Seriously it took a lot of determination to keep plugging after the first two times. Horses have been shot for less. Maybe it was drop-your-bike day and nobody told you?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post
I know you're trying to compete with me but I have 40 years of dropping bikes so you have a long way to go.

These Nomads are heavy bikes to get back up. No doubt about it. Here's a video on how to get a heavy bike up.
That's the technique I used to pick up the bike 2nd and 3rd time. I couldn't do it on the first time because the bike was downslope and seemed to have weighted 1600lbs.
VBA #02996

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post
You should get a prize or something. Seriously it took a lot of determination to keep plugging after the first two times. Horses have been shot for less. Maybe it was drop-your-bike day and nobody told you?
Prior to today the only time I dropped my bike was on loose gravel so this was highly unusual. After speaking to Neil I think the new RDL seat might be part of the problem. I think it changed my riding geometry. Because of the shape and size of the seat my feet are higher of the ground by about 2 inches so I have to tip-toe a lot more. I think that the center of gravity might have shifted as well and is higher now. I also feel like I am sitting farther away from the handlebars because when I straighten my back, my arms go completely straight. That was never the case with prior to RDL.

I might be seeing a set of risers in my not so distant future.
VBA #02996

Old 08-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #7

Don't feel bad Martin, I dropped my Nomad twice, both at SC Regional Rallies. The first time was in Eureka Springs, AR in 2010, that fall broke my wife's arm. Both times were prior to the RDL seat.

Joe "Griz" Grisolano
2008 Arctic Pearl Honda Goldwing
2008 Black/Red Nomad - Traded September, 2013
VBA #1210
Pittsburg, Kansas

Last edited by Griz; 08-04-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #8

Alright, that's enough practice. You're ready. Now get out there and hit those switchbacks!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #9

OK your bad day is far worse than my bad day at the office...! but at least you ride your bike today... guess you encountered a different king of rain could...?
power outlet
ipod adapter
daggertude sissybar with custom mount
kuryakyn 3" offset iso pegs
12.5 mini apes
HardDrive skull mirrors
Avon grips with throttle mod
core moto ss brake lines

Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Dropped last year and used the same technique.
VBA #02482

VROC # 36172

Old 08-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #11

Sometimes it may seem counterintuitive, especially in the parking lot of a "quiet place", but keeping engine rpm a bit higher, selecting a lower gear and applying light pressure on the rear brake to control speed, is a good technique to practice in a large flat lot. Especially in the large displacement v-twin. Using the rotating engine mass to add stability at low speeds is an important lesson to learn and practice. Glad you made it out of there safe with only your pride dinged up a bit.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #12

After reading more about RDL seats it seems that there is a good number or riders who, after getting RDL seats, are now tip-toeing their bikes and are having problems in parking lots, loose gravel/dirt lots and uneven surfaces. Getting used to this will definitely take some time and perhaps a few more incidents.
VBA #02996

Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #13
Top Contributor

I was in Orofino a couple weeks ago for the rally. Just prior to arrival, with a full load and the wife up top...I was doing a slow left turn and damn near stalled it. I would have been down in a NY second if I had. Luckily I pulled in the clutch, revved and re-released it just in the nick of time. Been there buddy....we all have. Nothing sucks like seeing your baby lying on the ground...no matter how many times it happens....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 08-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuttonkc View Post
Sometimes it may seem counterintuitive, especially in the parking lot of a "quiet place", but keeping engine rpm a bit higher, selecting a lower gear and applying light pressure on the rear brake to control speed, is a good technique to practice in a large flat lot. Especially in the large displacement v-twin. Using the rotating engine mass to add stability at low speeds is an important lesson to learn and practice. Glad you made it out of there safe with only your pride dinged up a bit.
That's essentially the philosophy behind the "Ride Like a Pro" videos.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #15

I ride the rear brake in 2nd when making a tight turn.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium