Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #16

I don't know why there is such a difference in service with one business, but I have ordered from them three times now (twice when I owned my 900) and I have never had a problem.

I guess ordering from them is like playing the lottery....sometimes you strike big and sometimes you don't

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriann View Post
I don't know why there is such a difference in service with one business, but I have ordered from them three times now (twice when I owned my 900) and I have never had a problem.

I guess ordering from them is like playing the lottery....sometimes you strike big and sometimes you don't
The way I understand it, they fill the orders of good lookin blondes first
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #18

I still can't get a return phone call or email or anything regarding the crap risers I bought from the sorry POS. Tried calling, emailing, facebooking, no response at all. Most of the spray paint he "coated" them with rubbed off the first time I cleaned them. I've since had them powder coated and had some bushings made for them so they don't move around on the triple clamp (which they've scratched all to hell before the bushings) and ground off a bit of the clamp so they would hold my bars tighter so they don't fall after a week or so anymore.
Downed Bikers Association#1063

Old 11-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
I still can't get a return phone call or email or anything regarding the crap risers I bought from the sorry POS. Tried calling, emailing, facebooking, no response at all. Most of the spray paint he "coated" them with rubbed off the first time I cleaned them. I've since had them powder coated and had some bushings made for them so they don't move around on the triple clamp (which they've scratched all to hell before the bushings) and ground off a bit of the clamp so they would hold my bars tighter so they don't fall after a week or so anymore.
What the hell are you talkin about
Did you buy risers from scootworks that were painted
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
What the hell are you talkin about
Did you buy risers from scootworks that were painted
They do these ones TC - and I see they go on about their polished finish never blistering, peeling etc, but give suspiciously little detail about the "satin black" finish.

Not a company I'd deal with myself I'm afraid... Too many horror stories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scootworks.JPG (55.0 KB, 45 views)

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #21

I am amazed they sell painted risers.
I would have sent them back as soon as I got them.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #22

The only time I was ever able to speak with Mr. Hockaday, was once before I finally got the risers. He said it had taken so long because he sends them off for coating. When I finally got them, this "coating" was satin black spray paint. I called him then and never got an answer. I decided to let that part pass, mounted them, the paint started peeling immediately when I was adjusting the bars in the clamps.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
The only time I was ever able to speak with Mr. Hockaday, was once before I finally got the risers. He said it had taken so long because he sends them off for coating. When I finally got them, this "coating" was satin black spray paint. I called him then and never got an answer. I decided to let that part pass, mounted them, the paint started peeling immediately when I was adjusting the bars in the clamps.
I said earlier "Not a company I'd deal with"... but on the other hand I managed to find some used Phat II risers for my Nomad from a member here (thanks again DR1600). They make some good quality stuff, but (unfortunately in your case) sometimes not finished off so well.

Since I bought my Nomad I've tried 4 different sets of risers - Stock, Aeromach, some generic Chinese rubbish soft alloy junk, and the Phat II's. And the Phat II's are far and away the best of them.

It took quite some time to find a set available outside of dealing with Scootworks though... Trying to do deals from way down here with companies like that had a high risk of ending with me being out-of-pocket, but I knew I could rely on another forum member.

Thanks for sharing your experience Duff... It's a help to everyone else who's considering dealing with them.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #24

Every time summer starts getting close, I'm reminded how much a piece of shit these risers are... yet I still keep the damn things on there because I can't reach the bars without them with the Mustang seat.
Temperature starts rising, the bars start falling down. And I still at least once a month have to find a curb to pull up close to on the left or right and jam the wheel hard to the left or hard to the right into the curb to straighten the bars back out since the bolts are too small for the holes in the triple clamp.
I still email the douche nozzle at ScootWorks on occasion to tell him what a piece of shit he is for never trying to fix my problem... and I still never hear back from him. I really hope he loses everything and goes out of business one of these days.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #25

It's been a wee while since I posted in this thread, and over that period I've sold the Nomad and bought a Voyager.

I put a Mustang seat on it (for a while - it's off now) and had the same issue with reach. I solved that with a set of Joe Chuckster Norris' risers - spacers for the OEM ones. With the measurements he was telling me, I didn't think they'd make a lot of difference... I was wrong, and they're perfect.

Joe's very much a nicer fella than that douche nozzle to deal with as well.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #26

Ordered risers here in 2 working days

Old 09-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #27
Advanced Member

I live with in 15 min. from their shop in zebulon, alot of empty promises and lies thru out the years he's been in business. even to us local guys,
nobody ever mentions them as a place to ride to and hang out with dave for a few.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #28

I got my Phat II's directly from them and it was a pretty good experience. I wanted to get the chrome plated ones and even though their website did not state that they were on back-order, I got a prompt email from them letting me know that it would be 4 weeks before they were back in stock. I was offered the polished ones instead with a prompt refund of the $$$ difference. Risers arrived in just a few days. Installation went well and the risers appear to be of good quality. I would probably purchase from them again.
VBA #02996

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad

Old 09-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
I got my Phat II's directly from them and it was a pretty good experience. I wanted to get the chrome plated ones and even though their website did not state that they were on back-order, I got a prompt email from them letting me know that it would be 4 weeks before they were back in stock. I was offered the polished ones instead with a prompt refund of the $$$ difference. Risers arrived in just a few days. Installation went well and the risers appear to be of good quality. I would probably purchase from them again.
You should know that I went through the same thing when I got risers for my 2009 Nomad. At first I was willing to wait 4 weeks but then I was told the wait was increased to 8-10 weeks. I bought the polished ones. Methinks the chrome risers do not exist. Future transactions with this shady group did not go well at all and I would only recommend them to my enemies.

Just do a Google search on them, you will see.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 09-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #30
Sr. Contributor

Is this the same guy? http://www.ipass.net/wb4iuy/index1.html
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11