Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #1

Scootworks

I know some have had problems with scootworks and this made me nervous about doing business with them. I have ordered three items in the last month and they have performed wonderfully. Extreemly fast processing and delivery of parts. Maybe there problems are behind them.
Vulcan Bagger #01989
2013 Road Glide Ultra
2013 Softail Deluxe
2011 Voyager 1700 ABS (traded)
2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 (traded)
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Gone but not forgotten)
2007 Vulcan Classic 1600

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

I certainly hope so.
It took me 5 months to get the belt and two pulleys to convert my Drifter to belt drive from chain drive.
They took the money from my credit card on the day I ordered also. Didn't think that was right.
It is a quality set of pulleys I will give them that.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

I can also say I had great service - recently and in the past. Ordered the Phatriser II's last month, got an email and recommedation quickly from Dave explaining the stock situation. Replied to the email and the order arrived in a couple days. I'll buy from them again.
vroc~20268

Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #4

I have not ordered from them but I called them today and heard on their call waiting message that they are now in their new facility. Maybe they were just having problems during the transition. The guy I talked to was very nice and helpful.
Utopia rider backrest
KQR backrest and luggage rack
Kruzer Kaddy
Garmin gps with mounted case
13" Cee Baileys dark tinted windshield
Passenger floorboards
Kury tombstone bag
TLC bag liners--STILL WAITING????

Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #5

Never again.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #6

My son bought from them last year. The charged his credit card and waited about 2-3 months to ship. They had a long line of excuses. We won't ever order from them again.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #7

I've ordered from Scootworks several times and found their service to be very slow. Would think twice about ordering from them again.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I certainly hope so.
It took me 5 months to get the belt and two pulleys to convert my Drifter to belt drive from chain drive.
They took the money from my credit card on the day I ordered also. Didn't think that was right.
It is a quality set of pulleys I will give them that.
TC I don't know you, and am highly unlikely to meet many of you regulars (barring a lottery win) and I know I don't have much cred in here just yet... but there's some stuff I'm hoping you knew about the Scootworks belt-drive conversion kit for an 800 before you purchased?

I'm learning the Nomad fairly quickly... but I know the 800 extremely well indeed... There have been a significant number of failures of that kit - well known to the vendor - who has unfortunately chosen to continue to sell them regardless.

Russian Wolf goes into a little more detail about the Scootworks belt-drive kit over here on his website. Since he wrote that (and I don't think he's updated the site in years now), there have been many more failures. The tension on the belt was simply more than the output shaft was designed to take.

Mind you... we don't all ride like he does. I know RW rode (rides?) hard.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
TC I don't know you, and am highly unlikely to meet many of you regulars (barring a lottery win) and I know I don't have much cred in here just yet... but there's some stuff I'm hoping you knew about the Scootworks belt-drive conversion kit for an 800 before you purchased?

I'm learning the Nomad fairly quickly... but I know the 800 extremely well indeed... There have been a significant number of failures of that kit - well known to the vendor - who has unfortunately chosen to continue to sell them regardless.

Russian Wolf goes into a little more detail about the Scootworks belt-drive kit over here on his website. Since he wrote that (and I don't think he's updated the site in years now), there have been many more failures. The tension on the belt was simply more than the output shaft was designed to take.

Mind you... we don't all ride like he does. I know RW rode (rides?) hard.
Peg, thanks for the concern and the information.
I did a lot of research on the system before I ordered it.
The original pulleys were a problem but that was fixed on later systems.
The original belts had a breakage problem and that was fixed with wider and stronger belts.
The tension is critical and I run mine about 1/4" less than recommended.
I don't ride the Drifter a lot as it is mainly a bike night and short cruise bike for me. Although the wife loves to ride it and takes it for 150 mile rides now and then. But the belt is much smoother and quieter with much less maintenance than the chain was. I really don't ride hard and am real easy on the throttle as my friend Mac puts it
I was going to say we may meet at a rally sometime buy just went to your profile and see you are in New Zealand so your right it is highly unlikely.
Again, thanks for your concern and the heads up on the belt system. It is much appreciated and as far as I am concerned your credibility is fine.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #10

I really enjoyed my 800B for plenty of years TC... Way more nimble than the Nomad and suited NZ roads perfectly once the intake & exhaust were opened up... But it just got too cramped unless solo, and the single shock never really coped with our bumpy & winding roads or being packed with heavy loads - even when replaced with a Progressive.

Two-up touring - Nomad wins hands down.

My wife Cec & I hope to head stateside in 3 or 4 years time. We're aiming to buy a more recent member of the Vulcan family, cross the country, connect with as many rally's as we can while we're passing through, and then ship the bike home.

We look forward to meeting some of you colorful characters down the road.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #11

Yeah Peg, the 800 Drifter is really not a two up touring machine.
We ride it solo. the suspension got much better for some reason after I had the belt drive installed. I'm not mechanical as all on here can attest to but I had to soften the shock setting with the belt. Rides much smoother now.
Did you have the belt on yours or did you pit up with the chain?
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Yeah Peg, the 800 Drifter is really not a two up touring machine.
We ride it solo. the suspension got much better for some reason after I had the belt drive installed. I'm not mechanical as all on here can attest to but I had to soften the shock setting with the belt. Rides much smoother now.
Did you have the belt on yours or did you pit up with the chain?
I stuck with the chain, but made it a good quality x-ring chain... It needed almost no maintenance except for a clean up now & then. After the first few accounts of failures I got a little leary of the belt kit, and the cost to ship something down here means I prefer to be very confident anything I buy is a faultless purchase before I pull the trigger.

For example the V&H Cruzers cost more for the shipping than they did for the purchasing... and worth every cent.

The Progressive rear strut was a nice improvement - one-up at least. Two-up we still bottomed out now & then while on tour, and it was just too danged hard to get in there to adjust it. The air-shocks on the Nomad are a much more comfortable proposition, and with Gadget's help I'll rebuild them after this riding season (We're just coming into ours now).

I did about every improvement to the 800 it was possible to do, but don't really want to go the same route with the Nomad... I have to keep reminding myself it's a 10yr old bike, and to save my time / effort / $$ for the next one.

And yep... your reputation for an aversion towards performing even the most basic of mechanical tasks, and the endless teasing you take (very well) as a result - has been duly noted. But I've spent more time here reading than I have posting, (as all newbies should do) and have seen where the respect lies in spite of that.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #13

Never again. Waited nearly a year for a brake pedal. Promised a 2 to 3 week wait. Production issues, out at chrome, vendor having problems, and on and on. They never built any. Only received a reduced refund.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 11-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVR View Post
I have not ordered from them but I called them today and heard on their call waiting message that they are now in their new facility. Maybe they were just having problems during the transition. The guy I talked to was very nice and helpful.
RVR you will wait a long time on your tlc bag liners I think they have went out of bussiness. I would go with big boy outfitters they make a very good liner and offer a discount to forum people. Just a thought

Old 11-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC RED VAQ View Post
RVR you will wait a long time on your tlc bag liners I think they have went out of bussiness. I would go with big boy outfitters they make a very good liner and offer a discount to forum people. Just a thought
Yeah, I think I will order something else next summer before our trip. No hurry as the bike is in hibernation for now.
Utopia rider backrest
KQR backrest and luggage rack
Kruzer Kaddy
Garmin gps with mounted case
13" Cee Baileys dark tinted windshield
Passenger floorboards
Kury tombstone bag
TLC bag liners--STILL WAITING????