Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #1

Engine Vibration

It seems like I can feel the engine vibration more now than when the bike was new.
I have 9,880 miles on her now. When the bike was new..the passenger backrest was the only thing that you could really feel vibrations on. Now....you can feel them a lot more on the passenger seat and some in the driver's seat. It just seems that the bike used to run smoother. My daughter, who has not rode with me for a few weeks has even commented on it. Not super bad teeth rattling....but just a lot more than before.

This vibration is not only while riding...But also when not riding.
Just by increasing the RPM and holding the throttle (while the bike is sitting in my shop)....you can still feel the extra vibration I've been describing. So I've ruled out tires, balancing, drive shaft and such.

Now, I know it's a big motor and motorcycles are supposed to vibrate some...but the reason I am posting is because it vibrates more than before.

I have tried a few things.

1. Unhooked my Cobra TFI...still vibrates
2. Changed plugs...still vibrates
3. Cheaned throttle body with Seafoam....still vibrates
4. Run a tank of gas with Seafoam....still vibrates
5. Checked for loose bolts at certain areas...
6. Loosen motor mount bolts, let engine idle, retorqued.
7. Checked various bolts where exaust pipes attach.

When you hold the throttle at the higher RPM...You can touch all over the motor like each cylinder top sides.....Feeling for vibration.
The place you can really feel the vibration is on the left side of the motor...down low at the transmssion where the drive shaft output is located......That area.

I don't know......Maybe the engine counter balancer that supposed to counter rotate to "reduce engine vibrtion".
Where is this Counter balancer and do they go bad....How and can they be checked.

Maybe it's just normal for a Nomad to vibrate a little more after the miles start accumulating.

Anybody got any ideas or anything to tell me to check on?

Thanks
Doug

Login or Register to Remove Ads