Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 02-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Bad day

Yesterday started out like any other day. After having surgery 2 weeks ago for my hiatal hernia and recovering from that (that's another story) it was time to go back to work. Of course, since I didn't have enough vacation time, I went on FMLA. Wouldn't you know that this means my computer access is suspended until my manager sends IT an email. Now, she knew I was coming back the day before. Wouldn't it make sense to have everything ready? No, not this manager. After logging in I was promptly booted out. It wasn't until noon today that my access returned. But that wasn't what caused my bad day.

Yesterday, my youngest boy called and told me to sit down. Our pitbull terrier killed our wire-haired terrier/dachshund mix. He told me he saw guts and part of the throat pulled out and blood everywhere. I was devastated. This was our first dog as a family and she was the queen b. Not bee, B. Give it a sec, you'll figure it out. Now, Christmas Eve, this same dog attacked and mauled our Shepherd/Beagle mix and that dog died on the 26th. We kept her after this, thinking we could train her and then get her fixed so she wouldn't be quite so aggressive. Before you ask, we didn't get her fixed in time.

Here is the part that eats us all to our core. We never saw it coming. My son left for school and saw that both dogs were sleeping on the sofa like they always do. That morning before I left for work they were sleeping and everything was cool. I can only guess that when the guy came and mowed the front lawn that it upset the pit and when the terrier tried to get involved, the pit snapped. All I know is that the pit was a very loving, very sweet, lovable, goofy big baby and I hurt deeply because I knew this was the last straw and had the local shelter put her to sleep. I couldn't take the chance that she would attack our two dachshunds, even though they are male. The wild part is that none of us can be mad at the pit because we never saw this side of her. All we ever saw was the loving side.

It is a very sad time in the SWB household. My wife and I spent time trying to talk about our sweet dogs, but she ended up crying and I could only hold her as the tears came to my eyes. I've also realized how much you use your stomach muscles when you have to breathe deeply to keep from crying over a dog.

Now, I don't want anyone coming here talking about how evil pitbulls are or telling stories of how they attacked and hurt others. I didn't share this with you for that. It helps to be able to release the hurt so I and my family can move forward.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #2

Bad day

I know how you feel bro. A year ago this past august our beagle died in my arms. He was a very loving and friendly old buy of about 9 years. We awoke one morning to him panting hard and not moving other than the breathing. He was unresponsive. It was 7am and we were in another town visiting friends. I called the local vet emergency number and he told me he could meet us at 8am. We got there just in time for him to die in my arms while I was carrying him inside.
You are absolutely right about the stomach muscles as I now find myself doing that very thing so as not to start crying while at work.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Nothing can replace the love of a dog.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #3

Bad day

Guys I went through a double dose of this 3 years ago. I know how tough it can be. We had to have our 13 yr old Dachshund euthanized and 2 weeks later the 13 year old cat quit eating and died 2 days later. The vet diagnosed him with feline leukemia. I buried both of them side by side at the back end of our property. My Dad came to talk to me while I was burying the cat and I nearly went to pieces. +1 on the stomach muscles. SWB, I know several people who have Pits and they are the best. I also know a couple who had to have theirs euthanized because of her aggressive behavior. This can happen with any strong or working breed. We have a female Boxer and a female Maltese. I worry more about small kids around the little one more than the Boxer. The Maltese is very protective and has canines about 2" long. She bit my 2 year old grandson on the face last year because he approached her to quickly when she was on my wife's lap. One of those incisor teeth barely missed little Connor's right eye. That could have been devastating. The Boxer weighs 54 pounds and the Maltese barely weighs 5 pounds. I feel for you brother, that was a tough decision even though it was a no brainer. Losing a pet is not like losing a member of the family, it is losing a family member. Take care and I hope you and your family find comfort soon.

I attached a picture of our Dachshund we had to put down. I lied, she was 14 yrs old, not 13. I still miss her very much.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 02-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #4

Bad day

SWB:

Prior to two years ago I always talked-tough about animals -- you know "tough-guy" stuff... no emotions... until one of our cats got sick and we had to put her down. I demanded to be there and held her to the end.

That was one of the toughest experiences I have had to date -- including the death of family members -- so I understand. (Although I would have never expected it.)

I send my condolences to your family for such a tragic loss... as I do understand.

Greg

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Bad day

Sorry SWB, for the loss of your dogs and having to put the pit bull down. I know how you feel, as we had to put our 10 year old Lab down last October due to an illness. It's like losing a member of the family and is an emotional time, but they say time heals.
Take care.

Don Denman "JD"
2001 Luminous Vintage Red carbed 1500 Nomad
VBA #376
VROC #6195

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Bad day

SWB,
My heart goes out to you and your family. I have had to put down two dogs in the past, a male golden retriever and female Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Without question, euthanizing a cherished pet is one of the hardest and most traumatic experiences we as humans have to endure. My wife became physically ill and vomited repeatedly the morning we had to put our Chesapeake down.

We now have a male Border Collie/Lab mix who is the gentlest animal I have ever been around and a 18 year old cat who has outlived both dogs. They are the light of our lives and are always there for us.

Our animals love us in spite of all our faults. They are the calming center of a chaotic universe. You give no less love to a cherished pet than you do your own kids. The resulting bond is a special feeling non pet owners will never have the joy to experience.

From our family to yours, our heartfelt prayers to all of you in coping with this tragic turn of events.

VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #7

Bad day

So sorry man. That's a tough one to navigate for sure. We'll be praying for you my friend.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #8

Bad day

Sorry for you lose SWB.. I know how you feel.

We had two horses that we got when the kids were little (around 7 or 8 and they are now 29 and 30). Anyway, even though the kids have grown and gone we still had the horses. They were inseparable. They had a routine of starting in the front pasture in the morning and working around to the back pasture by the end of the day.

Last year one of them got down and we ended up having a Vet put him down. I dug a hole with the backhoe and buried him in the front pasture. Th other horse called for him and stood on the spot where he died, close to where he was buried, for a full week. The wife and I swore we could see tears in her eyes as she stood there.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Bad day

SWB,

Sorry to hear about your loss. Good dogs do get to be more family than pets. It doesn't matter what breed the dog is. Some just snap and there is no explaination for it.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #10

Bad day

Not a good one for sure SWB. Had to put down the favorite family pet (cat) of more than 20 years recently and was not pleasant, even knowing that at 20 years time had run out.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Bad day

The unconditional love your pets give you make it very painful to go through what you went through Jeff. I would have probably done the same thing. sorry buddy

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Bad day

You're not alone, SWB, as our tiny pet dog died a few months ago after being part of our family for 10 years. I said I would never get attached to another animal after losing pets as a teenager, but I couldn't help it, they got a way of getting to ya. At only 3 lbs., he had the heart of a rotweiller. We miss him and we got another baby in December to kind of replace him, but he'll never be forgotten. Now I'm going to name my new bike after him, Rocky.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:46 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Bad day

Sorry to hear about this. :'(

We are an animal loving family too. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Take care SWB.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:39 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Bad day

SWB, my heart goes out for you and all your family members. It sounds like a lot of us here have endured the same pain sometime in our lives. I'm no different,....if I may.

We had two cats and have one dog. We moved and one cat ran away. The other had a series of strokes and I had to have it put down. I had to call ahead and tell the vet the particulars and that I'd be coming in, dropping the cat off and leaving because I couldn't talk I was so upset. And that cat wasn't my favorite. The dog is all that is left of our animal side of the family. {except for me when I've drank to many single malts} The dog is now 12 yrs. old with congestive heart failure and I shed a tear every now and then knowing his day is coming. They are your best friends. They love you forever. Please accept my sincere condolences.

You can put your dog in a trunk of a car and he'll lick you to death when you let him out. Now that's love. Try doing that with the Mrs..

I hope I haven't come across as being insensitive with my dumb remarks. I hope that maybe I've lightened the load and brought a smile to your face for just a moment Jeff, on this "Bad Day".
God Bless

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 02-19-2009, 06:09 AM   #15

Bad day

SWB,

Sorry to hear of your losses. This had to be real tough on your son that discovered the body.

May your pets rest in peace.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina