Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 08-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
It's Your Head

AT THE THREAD STATES: NICO IT'S YOUR HEAD!

<marquee></marquee>

And a rather puny one at that!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #17
Top Contributor

It's Your Head

Can he get a helmet that small?
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 08-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #18

It's Your Head

Might be an imoprovement...... I wear a 7 5/8 to 7 3/4 hat size.... 7 7/8 when I let my hair grow.... XXL Nolan 100E.... so I tell ya what BD....... I'm gonna go ahead and let you give me a little head! :-*

<marquee>NOW I'M REALLY HURTING!!!!!!!!!!</marquee>

<marquee>owwwwwieeeeeee</marquee>

Old 08-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

It's Your Head

You first

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 08-27-2007, 06:33 PM   #20

It's Your Head

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2007, 11:24 AM   #21
Sr. Contributor

It's Your Head

Thats the best you got?

Member # 0005

Old 09-03-2007, 06:07 AM   #22

It's Your Head

<marquee></marquee>

Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #23
Top Contributor

It's Your Head

He doesn't have much to work with BD.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 09-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #24

It's Your Head

Quote:
He doesn't have much to work with BD.
That really hurt SWB..... I hope you now that!

<marquee></marquee>

Old 09-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
It's Your Head

Some one recently told me that full face helmets are better than the cool looking half helmets because if you slide on the pavement those cool helmets can catch an edge, jerk your head around and break your neck. Heck I thought it was to ward off bees and wasps. I got a couple of those in the ole bonet and it was not fun. Ever try to stop a bike and rip off a helmet at the same time? Always makes me wonder just what happens when I hear of a biker who "lost control" of his bike and crashed. Bees or wasps are good bets. Two weeks ago I had to help with a next of kin notification. Guy on a three wheeler gave a gal a ride home from a late night restaurant. She had on a helmet, he did not. Lost control of the three wheeler and sheared off a phone pole, he was going fast. The officers did not know that the woman was on the bike and got the driver gathered up and off via Life Flight to Salt Lake City. The police backtracked to the restaurant as learned of the passenger. They immediately radioed back and started a search and found the woman. She had perished in an irrigation canal. Probably knocked unconcious and drowned. The driver died a couple of hours later. Speed was defintely a major contributing factor but the truth is that we are all risking everything when we ride these machines. Best thing we can do is always drive defensively, never aggressively and always wear as much protective clothing as you can.
Idaho
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 01-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #26
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to donoller
It's Your Head

its alway bad when a rider dies but it worst whenit because he had a helmet like this 10 dollar head 10 dollar helmet better to be a little uncomftable and be alive then look cool and be dead .its alway bad to lose a rider .

Old 01-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #27

It's Your Head

I am a strong believer in all of the safety gear. I wear full faced helmet and leathers too, even in the NM heat. Having been a ground and flight medic for nearly 15 years, I cannot count the number of times that I have seen that wearing a helmet would have saved lives. Ultimately, it almost seems selfish to me that anyone would choose not to wear one, as I have yet to see a single case when there were not numerous friends and family members forced to endure the grief and too often the loss associated with the choices of the folks they care about. In short, Ride Safe, and you'll Ride Again.

www.rcmedic.com

2005 Vulcan Nomad VN1600D1 BAS
KawaNow # 314

Old 01-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #28
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to donoller
It's Your Head

i dont like the the ideal that the state tells you have to wear a helmet i think it should be your decision but i also think you are not to smart not to wear it .but that should be up to you .since most know how hard there head is

Old 01-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #29

It's Your Head

I do a lot of motor vehicle crash investigations as a traffic officer. When it comes to helmets I am convinced that they are definitely a real benefit during low speed crashes. However, during high speed crashes it simply keeps the head in the bucket (and sometimes, in rare cases, the bucket is not always with the tinman).

We had 10 motorcycle fatalities and numerous serious injury motorcycle crashes in our city in 2007. All but 2 of the fatalities were sport bike riders and they all pretty much died while wearing the latest in fashionable sport biker attire and leather protective gear (PPE - all the Personal Protective Equipment stuff that I never where when I ride).

As part of the image, sport bike riders will usually outfit themselves with the latest good looking name brand stuff. Heck, the salesmen insist on it! That is typically in quite the contrast to the majority of us "cruiser" riders.

However, I can tell you this...the price or quality of the gear they wore in these crashes simply did not matter. Speed and the objects they either hit on the road (Cars/trucks/medians) and/or off the road (signs/trees/ditches) is what did them or their passengers in. They could not get past that ole law that states "a vehicle in motion remains in motion until acted on by an outside force." Some refer to it as "the law of natural selection" because their actions before the crash was not based on intelligence.

I know you've all heard that joke, "What is the last thing the bug seen when it hit the windshield?" ....Well...that answer does sometimes apply.

Personal responsibility, personal accountability, rider maturity and rider experience played a huge role (either individually or in combination) in the pre-crash period that lead up to their deaths.

We investigate crashes in three areas; pre-crash, crash, and post crash. The control we have as riders is primarily in the pre-crash area. Things such as making sure we have a safe motorcycle, good equipment, experience and training, etc.

When the crash event begins the preparation for it is over. It's like being the Quarterback in a game where your are down by 4 points, with 3 seconds left on the clock in the 4th quarter, with no time outs, it is fourth down, you are at the 50 yard line, and the playoffs are determined by your next move. There is a lot on the line.

The events that occur in the post crash period are extremely critical in determining the final outcome...life or death. Again, we, as riders have little, if any, control over it.

So, reference the helmet...flip a coin...then put her in 1st gear.

Always consider....personal responsibility, personal accountability, rider maturity and rider experience as part of your pre-ride checklist. Especially when riding with others. And folks, reflect on this, some people were simply not meant to ride a motorcycle at a certain snapshot in time. You can save their life or someone elses through intervention.

In short, in the end, "When your time is up...it's up."

Old 01-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #30

It's Your Head

When your time is up it's up?
I don't agree. Do you think everyone comes into this life with a predetermined date for their death?
If I get up from this computer right now and go put a gun to my head, BANG, my time was up?
If I just move on to the next thread, my time wasn't up?
Maybe I don't get your point ???
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]