Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #1

Went to the Local Dealer Today

I stopped in to pick up a part and the dealer here had only one new 2009 Classic on the floor, as well as the other bikes in the Kawi lineup. The Nomad and Voyager were not in yet and he figured it would still be at least a few weeks,if not longer.
I sat on the Classic and to me it felt like a small bike, much lighter and less room to stretch out on. But probably an easy bike to ride.
His prices in Canadian dollars were as follows;
1700 Classic $14,300
1700 Nomad $16,400
1700 Voyager $18,400

I havn't seen the Nomad or Voyager bikes in person yet, but will take a look if he ever gets them in. Although I not in a hurry to buy one, looking is OK.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #2

Would love to see the voyager, don't think any of them are my next bike, but would still really like to get a look at one.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 04-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #3

I posted my observations of the '09 Nomad today on the 1700 Nomad Discussion thread. I brought my camera to take pictures of it but it is the same color as Sin City Stan's. It wouldn't take me very long to get used to the changes. It doesn't feel as comfortable as my '07 because I feel too close to the tank. It is well balanced though. I also feel like I'm sitting a little lower. They told me a Voyager is supposed to come in by next week. I'll be watching and post pics and my review when one comes in.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Top Contributor

ive heard enough to make up my mine, Ill keep my old favorite Nomad.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #5

I was back at the dealer today and he had a new Nomad and a Voyager in the showroom. I sat on them both and while I didn't find them bad they did feel smaller in the handlebar reach area.
I also didn't care for the flimsy lids on the boxes or the flimsy lower fairings. I guess I could live with them if they stand the test of time, but they seem like they may crack eventually to me.
I did like the look of the motor, just wish it had a little more chrome on it, especially on the RH side. Hopefully there will be a lot of chrome bits to add to these bikes as I think they lack a bit of sparkle from the factory. There is a lot of potential there to make them a eyecatcher.
The rest of the bike looks pretty good, but Id have to try one to make a decision. The Voyager is exactly $2000.00 more than the Nomad but I think it gives you a lot more bang for the buck. With the fairings, beerbox, stereo, gauges, etc, and an extra year of warranty I think its the way to go if thats your style .

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #6

I have only seen the classic so far since everytime I stop in they tell me, "should be here next week." I sat on it and it is supposed to be the same as Nomad and Voyager and you feel like you are sitting on the tank. The whole position felt cramped to me. Boards even felt closer. I don't know how anyone over 6' will fit on it. I am waiting until I see the two big boys before I really decide. I am not inn the market anyway. In a few years my wife will want something more comfortable. She has always like the Wing but I was hoping voyager would be better. Maybe by then they will have the kinks worked out and put the old bags back on.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #7

Hi folks, Brand New Member here. I just brought home a 2009 Nomad on Thursday. It started raining on Friday, I had ridden to work anyway! And now of course it's raining and 48 today so I'm not real pleased with the weather but I couldn't be happier with the Nomad.
I'm rather surprised at the negative reactions to the new Vulcan line however. It's not as bad as the reaction to the new Voyager on the Voyager website though. Boy, they're not happy at all. To them Voyagers should have an in-line 4 cylinder and I don't really blame them. I think the Voyager should have been named the Nomad Tourer, or something like that and leave the Voyager name availabe in case Kawasaki ever made another 4 cylinder tourer.
I do respect the negative comments though as I also don't feel the quality of the new bags is as sturdy as it should be, they don't close very easily and they don't look as nice as the old bags which were commonly regarded as the most beautiful hard bags made. I do wish Kawasaki had retained the recognizable 3 chrome strips. The bags are pretty big but their interior shape is rather awkward.
But the nitpicking pretty much ends with the bags, Everything else about the bike is wonderful. It does have a more compact riding position but for me, at 5' 7" it is a perfect fit. A friend who is 6' 4" sat on it and is seriously considering purchasing a Voyager as he said it felt fine to him. He currently rides a Venture which is what I traded in on my Nomad, I felt that bike which fit me well but was just too top heavy. My new Nomad does seem to sit lower and it definitely is easier to manuver in the parking lot. It also handles great, apparently the new 40% stiffer frame is very effective. And That Motor! It's not broken in yet (less than 100 miles so far.... damn rain) but it fairly lunges forward when you shift gears! All 6 of 'em! And the cruise control works perfectly! In case you didn't know (no one could tell me, I had to find it in the owners manual), the little A-B switch on the right handlebar controls the LCD display in the Speedometer. Range, Clock, Trip meters, etc.
So, while I recognize the reticence current Nomad Owners have for the new model it is a step forward and will be warmly embraced I'm sure. However, if you have a previous model Nomad you already have one of the best bikes ever made, I rode an 01 model for 5 years before trading for a Goldwing (big mistake! great bike but not a Nomad. Traded the wing for the Venture but now am back in the fold and will be for some time.
Sorry for the length of the post but, I'm new and excited about the new Nomad.
I'll include photos as soon as the sun comes out!

Old 05-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
Top Contributor

congrads on the new bike and welcome to the site, but visit the new member introduction section
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #9

That's what I've been waiting for. A review from a Nomad to a Wing, to a Venture, back to a Nomad rider ??? . Good comparason, and give a good feel for just what the Nomad is compared to bikes in a similar class and size. Thanks. Think I'll stick with the Nomad.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #10

Thanks for the review flatlander. And congratulations on your new Nomad.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #11

Thanks for the review Flatlander, Since most of us have never ridden one yet its hard to have a honest opinion. Ill try one out if my dealer has a demo day later this season. Although they feel smaller to sit on, I don't think that is a negative point, Harley Ultras are smaller as well and while they offer a slightly different seating position, I find them quite comfortable. Im glad they stiffened up the frame as that is one thing I could never figure out why they put the bike into production with a frame that flexes so much.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Well, I bought a left over 2008 Nomad because i didn't really care for the 09 that much. I don't like the seat or the bags, especially the bags and I don't really care for the look of the new tank. Don't get me wrong, the new tank doesn't look "bad" to me it just doesn't look as good as the tank on my 08.
That said, I do like the look of the new motor, it looks very nice and I do really like the fact that it has electronic cruise control. But, I'm one of those people that have to really like the look of what I'm riding or driving so for me I made the right choice with the 08.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #13

Flatlander....welcome to the board. We love our "old" Nomads....but we will come around in time. I inititially did not like some of the changes...and still don't like some of them....but add up all the good things and it is a great bike.

What really counts is how the owners/riders like them. I haven't read or heard anything negative from the riders.

Hey the older kids usually get jealous of the new kid after awhile.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 05-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #14

Starting to hear complaints about the more compact seating position on the 1700's. There's a whole lot of wasted space between me and the windshield on my 1500. Whats generally the first mod people ask about when they purchase a 15 or 1600? You guessed it! Risers!! to keep from having to stretch your arms out like two overworked bungie cords when you're riding.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #15
Advanced Member

I saw the new nomad at a dealer the other day. It does look good. the bags look much better in person imho.
I do feel like I have less room on it. I like the handle bar placement, I don't like feeling like my feet are closer. I felt like I was on a GW, which I don't like the seating position on either.
I like the shape of the 1600 better.
If I had not gotten a 1600, I would still consider the new nomad or a voyager but comparing, I really like my 1600 better.