Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-23-2023, 10:35 AM   #1

The bike won

I have a 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 I have replaced all the gaskets on the motor and put it back in the bike hooked up all the wired and everything I have tried to start it turns over but it doesn

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-23-2023, 11:38 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Have you tested for a spark ? Did you turned the fuel tap on ? Was it running before you took it apart ?

This is a forum for Kawasaki Baggers, 1500,1600 and 1700 so you might get more responses on another website, this one for example.

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/vulcan-500.50/

Last edited by redjay; 10-23-2023 at 03:37 PM.

Old 10-24-2023, 04:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomorphic View Post
I have a 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 I have replaced all the gaskets on the motor and put it back in the bike hooked up all the wired and everything I have tried to start it turns over but it doesn
You are askIng in the wrong group mate. This is for 1500/1600 Nomads

Old 10-25-2023, 10:40 AM   #4
Advanced Member

But the basics still apply. Check for spark, check for fuel, check timing, check electrical connections, especially grounds. A 1995 motorcycle, if ridden about 2,000 miles a year would now have something near 56,000 miles on it. Bet it doesn't. Typically a bike of that size and vintage has far less miles on it. But I have seen mid-sized motorcycles with far more miles on them running fine, not requiring new gaskets (whatever that really means). Even on a bike with 50,000+ miles on it, assuming its running good, it would not require replacing all the gaskets. Something else has happened.

I question "replaced all the gaskets", why? Was the engine failing, leaking, not running. That comment is very incomplete for anyone to offer any diagnostic help. What is the compression? Is the engine set to factory specs? Way too many other issues here to just say "replaced the gaskets" and expect any help.

Last edited by andyvh1959; 10-25-2023 at 11:23 AM.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:37 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Hmm. New first post by a new member to the web page, too general a post without specific details, and no reply or feedback.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-04-2023, 03:34 PM   #6

put a match to it, and stand well back Piece of shit

Old 11-04-2023, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomorphic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
Hmm. New first post by a new member to the web page, too general a post without specific details, and no reply or feedback.
He is obviously stupid. What right minded person, would own a 500

Old 11-04-2023, 11:48 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Mick, I'm surprised you would hold your thoughts and comments back instead of saying whats on your mind.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 11-12-2023, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Mick, tell us how you really feel..

VBA# 02595
2004 Nomad VN1500L5 FI
1999 HD Superglide Sport (SOLD)
2009 BMW F650GS

Old 11-16-2023, 12:26 AM   #10

Yep, the 500's are for another forum. That being said, you took everything apart, new gaskets installed....that tells us you completely disassembled the engine. Have you ever rebuilt a engine before?
Just replacing gaskets, reassembly, and re-hooking up the the wires....there's alot of stuff that could've gone wrong....
Since I'm a factory wrench-jockey, here's things you need to check....BUT, before that you need 3 things for a engine to run:
1. You need spark. you need it to happen at the right time.... There's coils, wires, plugs, and the ecm involved....

2. You need fuel, the right amount for the given throttle opening. Not too much, not too little. All this also depends on the carbs, petcock, and fuel in the tank. If your bike has EFI, there's injectors, fuel pump, and ecm involved....

3. You need compression, the right amount, happening at TDC....top dead center....this isn't just the piston, but the valves have to be timed in the right combination in the right orientation top the piston.

I'll save a very long winded rant here, but the repair manual, your tools, a good, clean shop helps....also the right forum for the right bike....
Do you have good fuel? Is there spark? Do you have compression? Did you line up your timing marks on the flywheel to the timing marks on the cams? Is the ign. timing timed correctly on the crank?????
As you can see, this gets quite involved....as the old addage says.....Knowledge is power....the more you know, there easier things get....
Just my two pecos....

Good ole Mick....we need to get him a Viking hat....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 11-16-2023 at 12:29 AM.

Old 11-16-2023, 12:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Yep, the 500's are for another forum. That being said, you took everything apart, new gaskets installed....that tells us you completely disassembled the engine. Have you ever rebuilt a engine before?
Just replacing gaskets, reassembly, and re-hooking up the the wires....there's alot of stuff that could've gone wrong....
Since I'm a factory wrench-jockey, here's things you need to check....BUT, before that you need 3 things for a engine to run:
1. You need spark. you need it to happen at the right time.... There's coils, wires, plugs, and the ecm involved....

2. You need fuel, the right amount for the given throttle opening. Not too much, not too little. All this also depends on the carbs, petcock, and fuel in the tank. If your bike has EFI, there's injectors, fuel pump, and ecm involved....

3. You need compression, the right amount, happening at TDC....top dead center....this isn't just the piston, but the valves have to be timed in the right combination in the right orientation top the piston.

I'll save a very long winded rant here, but the repair manual, your tools, a good, clean shop helps....also the right forum for the right bike....
Do you have good fuel? Is there spark? Do you have compression? Did you line up your timing marks on the flywheel to the timing marks on the cams? Is the ign. timing timed correctly on the crank?????
As you can see, this gets quite involved....as the old addage says.....Knowledge is power....the more you know, there easier things get....
Just my two pecos....

Good ole Mick....we need to get him a Viking hat....
Thank you kindly mrs.