Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-19-2023, 07:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMQ View Post
The Nomad is well known to have a weak key switch, and the things have a tendency to melt internally if you try to run accessory lights off of the same circuit without a relay.

Bypassing the key switch should prove/disprove this.

My 2004 nomad has never had this happen in 19 years and 40,000 miles. However I have had the kickstand switch shut the bike off several times on a bump, because the bolt that holds the kickstand has a tendency to vibrate loose.
my kickstand switched is bypassed to confirm it is not the culprit...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-19-2023, 07:35 PM   #17

The plot thickens...i believe i am dealing with 2 separate issues...
i replaced the ignition switch and am pleased with the results of having a key that does not stick and not losing electrical power...confirmed by the time and trip odometer not resetting during an event...
but...
i still have the occassional temp, low fuel and fi warning lamps illuminate momentarily and occassionally accompanied by a sharp small backfire through the exhaust...i have been able to duplicate the conditions it happens under more specifically..

it occurs on throttle roll off or decel while accelerating and shifting or if i horse the throttle (lurch throttle on and off)...the situation occurs on the rolloff...that's why it accompanies an upshift most of the time when it does occur...

scenario...medium acceleration upshifting...usually in lower gears where more power rolloff is used...in upper gears the shift is usually made without much throttle applied already...also when in bottm three gears and throttle is horsed up and down...the event occurs on throttle release only...not throttle application...

i wish i could watch data when it happens...almost as thought a throttle position switch goes temporarliy open for a moment...it is sporadic and very intermittent...i could ride for 15 or twenty minutes with no sign of it or get it semi regularly on a short ride...being able to duplicate it is how i finally narrowed it down to throttle release...i have no symptoms whatsoever when i am just cruising at steady speed...you would never know there is a problem then...i can horse the hell out of the throttle on and off in neutral with no load and there is no fault...in gear while moving i can duplicate it somewhat regularly...i can load the heck out of the engine and accelerate as hard as i like with no fault...it only occurs on throttle down/release...

i dont know enough about the control systems on this bike to narrow it down by experience...i am starting to bury myself in the manual to learn as much as i can...

any ideas or direction is welcome...i have had the bike on several 30 minute plus rides with no threat of stall of electrical power loss...just this event...warning lamps accompanied occasionally with a short exhaust backfire...

an interesting journey for sure...

Old 05-24-2023, 06:35 PM   #18

LOL...gaining everywhere but the flickering warning and pop...i noticed the charging was a bit erratic so I invested in a set of rick's electric rectifiers to match their stators and hot shot wiring kits...did a real nice job crimping and soldering the terminals in place and the charging is top notch now...
the flickering of the warning lamps at upshifts and sometimes at quick throttle down is still there...periodically accompanied by a short hesitation and sometimes a backfire if you catch it just right...it feels like it is in a particular position in the throttle operation...if i cruise at very light steady throttle i can get a brief random hesitation at times...sometimes under those conditions a small bump will bring it on...like just the right throttle position hits it...when i get some free time at work i am thinking about hooking up the pico scope and checking the throttle position sensor for a glitch...
i am learning a lot about the bike and how it's put together....kind of having some fun with it...but i would really like to get to the bottom of this little glitch...

Old 06-01-2023, 09:23 AM   #19

Hey bladenbullet. Keep us posted on your findings.

Old 12-29-2023, 08:49 AM   #20

sorry it's been a long time...seems life gets in the way sometimes...
i have narrowed it down to the throttle position sensor...i can actually duplicate the concern at one particular throttle setting...explains alot...it is just past where the freeplay is taken up in the throttle travel...a spot i go through every time i shift or even when traveling at very light throttle then letting up a hair...i have gotten so used to it i can ride around it...i have another sensor to install...just havent gotten around to it yet...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-29-2023, 09:51 AM   #21

I have a similar problem maybe? 07 1600 would idle and run perfectly for miles then would stutter under load and limp back home. Removed and cleaned injectors and checked plugs, would idle and run fine, then on last ride began to stutter like not enough fuel or electrical. Plugs are good, cleaned throttle body again with tooth brush and long cotton swabs, came out black. FI light not on so no codes? I am thinking a bad water/air/tps sensors but not sure. The bike has sat for many years before I recently bought, had tank professionally cleaned and sealed, new air cleaner/plugs/fluids. Sea foam in tank and good gas as far as I know. Any ideas wear to start?

Old 12-29-2023, 12:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
i have narrowed it down to the throttle position sensor...i can actually duplicate the concern at one particular throttle setting...explains alot...it is just past where the freeplay is taken up in the throttle travel...a spot i go through every time i shift or even when traveling at very light throttle then letting up a hair...i have gotten so used to it i can ride around it...i have another sensor to install...just havent gotten around to it yet...
Thanks for the update!

Old 12-29-2023, 01:11 PM   #23
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
Is the the TPS adjustable and is it set correctly ? If the TPS adjustment procedure is similar to my Yamaha they have to be set (positioned) to a specific voltage ? Is that the case with the 2003 Nomad ? Do you have a manual to look up the procedure ?

Last edited by redjay; 12-30-2023 at 12:58 PM.

Old 12-30-2023, 09:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Is the the TPS adjustable and is it set correctly ? If the TPS adjustment procedure is similar to my Yamaha I think they have to be set (positioned) to a specific voltage ? Is that the case with the 2003 Nomad ? Do you have a manual to look up the procedure ?
As i recall , the setting on my 1500 was the complete oposite of what the manual said. Drove me nuts until i figured that out.

Old 12-30-2023, 11:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Is the the TPS adjustable and is it set correctly ? If the TPS adjustment procedure is similar to my Yamaha I think they have to be set (positioned) to a specific voltage ? Is that the case with the 2003 Nomad ? Do you have a manual to look up the procedure ?
https://gadgetsfixitpage.com/article.php/tps-adjustment-ping-eliminator