Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
i got everything back the way i did before i replaced the bearing with the right side adjuster almost ahead one full notch.
What I'm getting from this is that you reassembled it and left one adjuster ahead about a full notch from the opposite one. Why you would leave them so far out I'm not sure as that tells you how far out of alignment your rear axle is. It states that in the service manual also....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlars View Post
What I'm getting from this is that you reassembled it and left one adjuster ahead about a full notch from the opposite one. Why you would leave them so far out I'm not sure as that tells you how far out of alignment your rear axle is. It states that in the service manual also....
Yes that is correct but this s the only way to get rid of the belt whine and its 100% gone no noise at all. Handles and rides great.

OEM saddle bag liners
OEM Auxiliary Driving lights
OEM ipod connection
OEM highway peg bracket
OEM driver and passenger Backrest
Baggershield
Ray's Throttle Mod
Cobra tri-ovals
mustange seat
Ivan's Flash
Kenwood Stereo and Speakers
Randy's 6.5 speaker adaptors
Rockford Amp

Old 08-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Is it better? Noise is gone or less? ? ?

Ride safe,
Smokier
No noise at all and the belt track to the middle of the pulley most of the time but sometimes it's just off the right side of the pulley.

OEM saddle bag liners
OEM ipod connection
OEM highway peg bracket
Baggershield
Ray's Throttle Mod
Cobra tri-ovals
mustange seat
Ivan's Flash
Rockford Amp

Old 08-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #34

You originally asked about the axial movement of the rear pulley. 2mm. Dlars checked other bikes in his showroom and found the same thing. Sounds like it is not a problem.

You never mentioned a whining noise before in this thread. That is usually from the belt being too tight, even though at Kawi specs. A number of folks have reported excessive bearing wear with the belt at factory tension. I suspect that the whine went away because of the reduced belt tension when you adjusted the right side, but I think you are setting yourself up for serious problems having the axle out of alignment like that.

When I changed my tires, I noticed that the brake pads were wearing at an angle. I checked the axle alignment and it was off by just half what you set yours at. I'm worried now about damage or at least excessive wear to the bearings, though I don't see any issues now. If having the wheel out of alignment had that affect on my brakes, what will it do to bearings? I'm going to watch it closely and change the bearings out next tire change or sooner.

After I changed my tires, I set the belt tension to the loosest Kawi spec and got the "tranny whine", which is probably what you were hearing. Backing off from 4.5mm (really 5mm) to 10mm at 10 lbs solved it.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
You originally asked about the axial movement of the rear pulley. 2mm. Dlars checked other bikes in his showroom and found the same thing. Sounds like it is not a problem.

You never mentioned a whining noise before in this thread. That is usually from the belt being too tight, even though at Kawi specs. A number of folks have reported excessive bearing wear with the belt at factory tension. I suspect that the whine went away because of the reduced belt tension when you adjusted the right side, but I think you are setting yourself up for serious problems having the axle out of alignment like that.

When I changed my tires, I noticed that the brake pads were wearing at an angle. I checked the axle alignment and it was off by just half what you set yours at. I'm worried now about damage or at least excessive wear to the bearings, though I don't see any issues now. If having the wheel out of alignment had that affect on my brakes, what will it do to bearings? I'm going to watch it closely and change the bearings out next tire change or sooner.

After I changed my tires, I set the belt tension to the loosest Kawi spec and got the "tranny whine", which is probably what you were hearing. Backing off from 4.5mm (really 5mm) to 10mm at 10 lbs solved it.
I had my belt at 12mm and the whine was still there. its gone now at all speeds and hard acceleration. don't care about the bearings not a big deal to me I can replace them no problem and tires too but I cant handle the whiny bike. Will resell it if I have too

OEM saddle bag liners
OEM ipod connection
OEM highway peg bracket
Baggershield
Ray's Throttle Mod
Cobra tri-ovals
mustange seat
Ivan's Flash
Rockford Amp

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #36

Quote:

I agree. The brake caliper is in a non-adjustable position on that square slot on the swingarm and the only movement is forward and backward in that large slot when adjusting the axle forward and back, I don't think they are designed to have much movement side to side with the axle. You will possibly have some decreased braking power and wear along with possible premature tire wear. Hopefully all is well..

Old 08-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #37

OK so I ask myself why would someone align the drive wheel to not be in line with the frame etc?
Do they know something the designers of all types of equipment have overlooked? To use the new bearings when these fail. To buy rear tires faster? To be off center going down the road?
Guess it's really not important as long as it doesn't become a standard. Oh wait it's on the Internet so it must be factual, right?
Enough sarcasm, glad the whining has stopped

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Old 08-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillhouse View Post
OK so I ask myself why would someone align the drive wheel to not be in line with the frame etc?
Do they know something the designers of all types of equipment have overlooked? To use the new bearings when these fail. To buy rear tires faster? To be off center going down the road?
Guess it's really not important as long as it doesn't become a standard. Oh wait it's on the Internet so it must be factual, right?
Enough sarcasm, glad the whining has stopped
my first bike was a 83 vt750 and second bike 87 vf750 super magna. Nice bikes and had them both tell two years ago. when I bought this bike this summer it was not my first choice. All my ridding friends have Harley and I was ridding one of my friends ultra classic last summer while he was away on work. really enjoyed the bike and thought about buying one but when I seen and test driven the vaquero I liked it. Cant remember hearing any whining noise on that test drive. Even my Harley friends like the look of this bike but when they take her for a ride cant bear the noise and say it crazy to be like that. Any way ill keep the rear wheel like this and I know its not the way the designers had designed it but they did design the whining I'm getting. Keeping an eye on it and any problems bike will be sold and a Harley in the Garage.

OEM saddle bag liners
OEM ipod connection
OEM highway peg bracket
Baggershield
Ray's Throttle Mod
Cobra tri-ovals
mustange seat
Ivan's Flash
Rockford Amp

Old 08-26-2016, 01:23 AM   #39

Quote:
my first bike was a 83 vt750 and second bike 87 vf750 super magna. Nice bikes and had them both tell two years ago. when I bought this bike this summer it was not my first choice. All my ridding friends have Harley and I was ridding one of my friends ultra classic last summer while he was away on work. really enjoyed the bike and thought about buying one but when I seen and test driven the vaquero I liked it. Cant remember hearing any whining noise on that test drive. Even my Harley friends like the look of this bike but when they take her for a ride cant bear the noise and say it crazy to be like that. Any way ill keep the rear wheel like this and I know its not the way the designers had designed it but they did design the whining I'm getting. Keeping an eye on it and any problems bike will be sold and a Harley in the Garage.
OK, so you adjusted one side to stop the whine and it did. Being told that adjusting it out of line can be damaging, why would you not readjust to make both sides equal, but looser than before? It's a simple fix (I do really suggest you get a belt tension tool, though; you will need it for a Harley even more than for a Vaq.). Doing a poor adjustment then blaming any damage on the bike does not make much sense to me.

You seem to be looking for an excuse to get rid of the Vaq and get a Harley. If so, you should get the bike you really want if you can, but why spend time and money trying to find something (or create something) wrong with the bike so you can justify the change.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #40

"All my ridding friends have Harley" sounds similar to the group I ride with, but they allow me to ride with them because I can fix their ride when they have issues, never seems to fail one of them has a problem on a long ride.

"OK, so you adjusted one side to stop the whine and it did. Being told that adjusting it out of line can be damaging" there you go confusing the issue with facts

"You seem to be looking for an excuse to get rid of the Vaq and get a Harley. If so, you should get the bike you really want if you can, but why spend time and money trying to find something (or create something) wrong with the bike so you can justify the change." Well give Saber-t a cigar.

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Old 08-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #41

Oh well, we tried......

Old 08-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #42

Quote:
OK, so you adjusted one side to stop the whine and it did. Being told that adjusting it out of line can be damaging, why would you not readjust to make both sides equal, but looser than before? It's a simple fix (I do really suggest you get a belt tension tool, though; you will need it for a Harley even more than for a Vaq.). Doing a poor adjustment then blaming any damage on the bike does not make much sense to me.

You seem to be looking for an excuse to get rid of the Vaq and get a Harley. If so, you should get the bike you really want if you can, but why spend time and money trying to find something (or create something) wrong with the bike so you can justify the change.
I did use a belt tension tool that I got from a friend. I have done all the measurements to the belt by making it loose. And tried making both sides equal but it's just not working and I'm not blaming any damage on the bike. I never said anything about the bike other then I liked it and that's my I never bought a Harley. Try and keep up. If I could do something else I would but have tried everything. Do I like what I got done no. Do I like the noise from the belt no. So what?

OEM saddle bag liners
OEM ipod connection
OEM highway peg bracket
Baggershield
Ray's Throttle Mod
Cobra tri-ovals
mustange seat
Ivan's Flash
Rockford Amp

Old 08-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #43

The rear pulley issue you have experienced is NOT unique.....and ..yes it exists on all Vaquero....and others as well. The same problem annoyed me as well, being from a chain drive environment. The pulley does float rotationally but axial movement should not exist as all the steel parts are mated when torqued down...case in point..having two collars mated to a single plane bearing and a single flywheel..there is NO axial movement(push/pull nor top and bottom opposing forces)....But for some reason, Kawis have this..My 900 had a wobbling pulley with more than 2.5 mm run out. I managed to 90% fix that by having the hub machined and installing a double race bearing. The rest was shimming the bolts holding the pulley in place to reduce the runout. I also changed out the rubber o-ring on the hub receiver on the wheel....Having said that...IF you have to adjust wheel alignment that much I would suggest seriously having a look at the swing arm bearings. I had mine replaced at 35000km because they were RUSTED and worn out...Another thing you should have a look at is where the belt is tracking on the 'front' pulley. In THEORY, the belt should track in the center of that drive pulley, and just touch to the left of center on the rear drive. I have belt deflection set at about 3/8 to 1/2 inch with the bike off the rear wheel...Might be something to consider....Everything is relevant at the rear wheel....

Old 08-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #44

Quote:
I did use a belt tension tool that I got from a friend. I have done all the measurements to the belt by making it loose. And tried making both sides equal but it's just not working and I'm not blaming any damage on the bike. I never said anything about the bike other then I liked it and that's my I never bought a Harley. Try and keep up. If I could do something else I would but have tried everything. Do I like what I got done no. Do I like the noise from the belt no. So what?
What we are trying to tell you is that adjusting the belt different amounts on each side will likely result in damage. You said adjusting them that way "didn't work" whatever that means. Didn't stop the whine?

Perhaps as Da Wiz suggested, you have a problem somewhere else, like in the swing arm bearing that is causing the whine. Mal-adjusting the rear axle is not going to help that, but may make it worse as well as cause other problems. Like they say, treat the problem, not the symptom.

I can tell you that my bike handles much better, better tracking, better in curves, in general a more stable ride, since I corrected the adjustment. You may not care if you have to replace the bearings more often, but you may change your mind if your rear wheel suddenly locks up while you are going highway speeds.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
The rear pulley issue you have experienced is NOT unique.....and ..yes it exists on all Vaquero....and others as well. The same problem annoyed me as well, being from a chain drive environment. The pulley does float rotationally but axial movement should not exist as all the steel parts are mated when torqued down...case in point..having two collars mated to a single plane bearing and a single flywheel..there is NO axial movement(push/pull nor top and bottom opposing forces)....But for some reason, Kawis have this..My 900 had a wobbling pulley with more than 2.5 mm run out. I managed to 90% fix that by having the hub machined and installing a double race bearing. The rest was shimming the bolts holding the pulley in place to reduce the runout. I also changed out the rubber o-ring on the hub receiver on the wheel....Having said that...IF you have to adjust wheel alignment that much I would suggest seriously having a look at the swing arm bearings. I had mine replaced at 35000km because they were RUSTED and worn out...Another thing you should have a look at is where the belt is tracking on the 'front' pulley. In THEORY, the belt should track in the center of that drive pulley, and just touch to the left of center on the rear drive. I have belt deflection set at about 3/8 to 1/2 inch with the bike off the rear wheel...Might be something to consider....Everything is relevant at the rear wheel....

Thanks I will check the swing arm bearings. Where they diffecult to change?

OEM saddle bag liners
OEM ipod connection
OEM highway peg bracket
Baggershield
Ray's Throttle Mod
Cobra tri-ovals
mustange seat
Ivan's Flash
Rockford Amp

Last edited by Newfie; 08-27-2016 at 10:21 PM.