Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #1

Texas Hill Country Campgrounds

I'm looking for info on campgrounds around Bandera/Kerrville that are bike friendly. Plan on spending March and 1st part of April riding in that area. I usually stay in State Parks as private campgrounds tend to cram everyone together - I like a little privacy - don't want to hear the guy next to me in his bus farting! State parks don't have monthly rates so they can be expensive.
Anyone know of a good campground they can recommend.
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with Texas Parks..But if you find a Federal Camp Ground ..buy the "Old-Man Discount card -if you are over 55, or is it 62 ? (and sometimes a state/local park will honor them also)..you can camp up to three vehicle, in one camp site, for about $6/night !

Good Luck !

Old 10-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #3

Check out Kerrville Schreiner Park - here's a link for the park & one showing the fees

http://www.kerrvilletx.gov/facilitie...=9&Page=detail

http://www.kerrvilletx.gov/DocumentC...Home/View/7610

- it used to be a State Park, but now belongs to the city of Kerrville

Old 01-01-2015, 05:10 AM   #4

Not too far from Kerrville and very near some fantastic riding is the Lost Maples State Park. Check it out. There are a couple of biker only/friendly grounds around that area. Private grounds, but not bad. Have you been to the Hill country before? Garner state park is just outside of Leakey. When the river is up there is some great swimming there. It's a touch Sterile as far as camping goes. One of the best known parks in Texas. Speaking of Leakey, when you're there, check out the Hog Pen early and see if they have any burgers left. If so have one. If that doesn't work out go out Hwy. 337 a short way to the Bent Rim Grill. Try their burgers. You will be very happy with both. In fact, if possible I would have both, just maybe on different days. You'll hear about all the usual rides in the area, but in case no one mentions it, be sure to mark Hwy. 39 between Kerrville and Leakey as a must do. Not wild and wooley, but a most pleasant ride. Enjoy, and give us a PM or shout out before you head down. Who knows, we love to ride the Hill country any chance we get. Have fun, be safe.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #5

Make sure your riding includes all three of the "twisted sisters". I second the food at the Bent Grill, but also try the deep fried avocado. Unbelievable! :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

Hey, I didn't know about the avocados. Great! Now I have an excuse to go back. And what he said, the sisters are a given, but ride 337 all the way across from 16. And there's the Willow loop north of Fredericksburg. Do yourself a huge favor and take the little lady there to shop. If you find yourself there on the third weekend of any month, then check out Trade days just outside of Fredericksburg. She'll go absolutely nuts! Also don't neglect the old 99 tunnel road and the Bat cave at Alamo Springs. The only problem with that is you will have to return at night if you want to see the bats. Allll kinds of critters on the road at night..ride slow. Of course there's Luchembach. And any of the roads going to and from there are good rides. I would reccomend you make a stop in Blanco and go to Liz's on the square. Great leather shop with all kinds of other things. Nice and sometimes unusual clothes. Cheap sunglasses, Nice leather of all kinds and prices are reasonable. She will order and ship if necessary. Nicest lady you'll ever meet. If you are getting tired of road food by then, ask about the little place just south of Blanco on 281. It's kind of under the trees, off to the left (when going south). A nice cozy place with great gormet type food at road food prices. Sorry, I can't remember the name. Stop at the corner country store in Vanderpool. Nice folks, good bike stop before hitting the meat of 337. They have a wild Pomagranette tree growing outside. We took some home last time we were there (with permission) and they were delicious.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #7

Paul,
Are you thinking of the 'Chess Club'? It is a little house converted into a small restaurant next to the Dollar Store.

The Coyote Ranch just outside of the Kerrville has changed hands, but it used to be a motorcycle specific campground with cabins and such. We don't camp much, since most of the Hill Country is within 2 hours or so from home. This campground is not close to any restaurants or night activities. If you need someone to check a place out I'll take a look for you. If you need services or alternate activities stay near Kerrville or Fredricksburg. Leakey is a small community where the grocery store sells hardware and dry goods. One of the two grocery stores has a small ice cream counter too.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 01-03-2015, 01:22 AM   #8

Brik, that sounds right. It's been a while, but your description sounds like the place.