Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-18-2007, 02:44 AM   #1

brand new owner

Just bought a 2007 and have about 300 miles on it. knocking sound comes from right side of motor. Is this normal?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
brand new owner

Probably. Is it just on start up?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #3

brand new owner

The noise seems to get louder when the bike has been ridden and gets fully warmed up. mostly noticeable when idling. Is there something in the fuel injection system that could be making the noise?

Old 08-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #4

brand new owner

NadW, I have a '99 Carbed model so can't help, but stay tuned...... one of our knowledgable members will help you out! Welcome to KawaNOW.org!

Nico

Old 08-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

brand new owner

Thanks Nico. LOL

Beside the obvious, have you checked the oil level? The bike, with someone holding it level straight up and down, the oil level should be at least half way up the glass viewing bubble near where your right foot would be.

Passing that test, it could just be the idle solenoids clicking away under the right side injector cover. Some claim theirs is louder than most. It a fast ticking sound.

To test it, remove the right side cover with the allen bold and unplug one wire from each solenoid (those are the silver color things held in place at 3 and 9 oclock. Just unplug one wire from each one, they are on the bottom of the solenoid. make sure those unhooked wires don't touch anything metal as to no short out your PCM.

Replace cover and go for a ride and see if it's a lot quieter. If it is, then you just have loud solenoids. You can actually remove them completely but sometimes it makes your bike more difficult without using the fast idle knob located under the tank.

Comprende' newbie??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #6

brand new owner

<marquee>USE YOUR SPELL CHECKER YOU ARE CONFUSING THE NEWBE AND ME....</marquee>

Old 08-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #7

brand new owner

is it normal? NO! 300 miles your bike should still be under warranty. And you didn't mention if the noise was coming from the top for the engine or the bottom .But I may know your problemo, My beast was doing something similar knocking real hard on top of the heads. I wasn't getting enough oil to my HLA's (Hydraulic Valve Adjusters). Theres a banjo fitting that is attached to two hoses, those are your oil supply lines for your heads and are behind the rear Jug. That may be clogged. You don't have to take your bike to a dealer to check this. But if its not clogged you may have air or some metal chips in your HLA's ( I don't think its your FI ) It the nature of the beast just Hangon she wont let you down. ;)

Old 08-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #8

brand new owner

Yes, I made sure the oil and coolant levels are up. I maybe a new Nomad owner but I traded in my 1100 shadow spirit that I put 21,000 miles on to buy this beauty and I did take it back to the service guy at the dealership to listen to. He did not hear anything out of the unusual. I just wanted to hear from all you experts out there and get your opinions. The banjo fitting behind the rear jug seems to be weeping a small film of oil out and it is tight. Just a little worried about my new baby.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:53 PM   #9

brand new owner

Nice ride. My buddy just got the same color. :-)

Old 08-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
Top Contributor

brand new owner

Whenever I get worried about my baby, I take it to the dealer and use that warranty.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 08-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #11

brand new owner

Hey Nomadwest I am on my second Nomad because my first one had so much noise that sounded like FI or Lifters. Guess What? So does the 07. It drives me crazy to the point that I have plugged in the MP 3 player, stuck the headphones as deep into my ears as possible, turned MP3 player all the way up, pulled out the baffles on my Vance and Hines and now I only hear the noise a little bit. Kawasaki knows about it but when I spoke to the rep he said NAW! There is no noise. It's my imagination. Okay! Sure.
And the Pope is a Southern Baptist.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:45 PM   #12

brand new owner

Funny...... Blowndodge's doesn't make a sound!! :-*

Old 08-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

brand new owner

pft pft pft pft

Member # 0005

Old 08-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #14

brand new owner

Sound familiar??

Old 08-21-2007, 09:27 PM   #15

brand new owner

Let em rattle they go better the more they rattle.LOL