Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #1

Leaking Oil Drain Plug

Hi All,
Just changed my oil and I now have a very slow dripping leak coming from my oil drain plug (didn't want to do the screen yet). Will at next oil change. Anyway, I don't dare torque it any further. I assume either there's a piece of grit under the washer or the washer itself is bad. In case I need a new one, are they readily available and where can I get one?
Thanks. I've asked many questions in this forum already and have received many helpful answers.

1999 Nomad + 2000 Drifter 800

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Leaking Oil Drain Plug

I would bet the drain plug gasket is available at the dealer. The manual recommends replacing the gasket each service. The dealership probably should and does replace them for leak prevention and more profit. The same gasket likely fits other models as well. Get a couple.

I have yet to remove the plug as I drain the oil from the screen access.

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #3

Leaking Oil Drain Plug

My 08 does not have a drain plug gasket just a metal washer.

My friends 07 is the same way the dealer over torques the drain plug and deformed the washer and his dripped.

I bought a drain plug washer synthetic gasket at Ace hardware and put a little teflon tape on the plug threads and it doesn't leak anymore.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Leaking Oil Drain Plug

Uh oh... Clean the oil drain pan really well, Clean the screen plug bolt cap and area really well. Drain the oil there now. Cover that pan well or pour it into a clean jug.

Pull the other drain plug and inspect the treads on it, inspect the threads on the engine side. If either are damaged a bit buy a new drain plug. Wrap it like Bob did, with a new metal crushwasher install it and never touch it again.

Pre-filter the oil with a painters funnel made of paper and a mesh and put it back.

These plugs are made of a alloy intended to strip before the engine case does. But if you get ham fisted you can ruin the engine case threads too.

When that screen bolt stops so do you. No extra tightening required.

Before i stripped engine case threads i would prefer to dump my oil on the ground. You would know it. As the screen comes out LOOK at the order. Do not install it backwards!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Leaking Oil Drain Plug

[quote author=recumbentbob board=nomad thread=18873 post=285719 time=1280325947]My 08 does not have a drain plug gasket just a metal washer.

"technically" the metal washer is a gasket. It does crush slightly when tightened to seal. That is the reason it should be replaced at every change. The gasket/washer can only take so much tightening. But if you wanna use a regular washer, rubber gaskets and teflon tape on your drain plug, thats your choice. JM2C

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #6

Leaking Oil Drain Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob
[quote author=recumbentbob board=nomad thread=18873 post=285719 time=1280325947]My 08 does not have a drain plug gasket just a metal washer.

"technically" the metal washer is a gasket. It does crush slightly when tightened to seal. That is the reason it should be replaced at every change. The gasket/washer can only take so much tightening. But if you wanna use a regular washer, rubber gaskets and teflon tape on your drain plug, thats your choice. JM2C
When you got the oil drained out of a friends bike, find the washer badly damaged, call the dealer and they don't have any washers in stock.

You make do with what is available and improvise.

Now you know the rest of the story........... :)

VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #7

Leaking Oil Drain Plug

I change my oil at the drain plug all the time on my 01 and i have never had to change that crush washer yet , but i don't over torque it . If you change that crush washer , and you change your oil at the drain plug all you have to do is just be careful and don't over torque it , like i said i have done it that way for years nad never had a problem .

Old 07-30-2010, 03:03 AM   #8

Leaking Oil Drain Plug

Quote:
I would bet the drain plug gasket is available at the dealer.
I'd wager my dealer doesn't have it. They didn't stock the radiator drain plug gasket or final drive washer. It's a Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki dealer who doesn't stock many of the usually needed little things for a Kaw. I don't even call and ask anymore. I just order a couple of each online and add to my stash.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Leaking Oil Drain Plug

I would definitely do as Mac said and change the oil using the drain that contains the oil screen. That way it gets all the old oil out plus you can clean any gook off the screen.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Leaking Oil Drain Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Quote:
I would bet the drain plug gasket is available at the dealer.
I'd wager my dealer doesn't have it. They didn't stock the radiator drain plug gasket or final drive washer. It's a Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki dealer who doesn't stock many of the usually needed little things for a Kaw. I don't even call and ask anymore. I just order a couple of each online and add to my stash.
Oddly enough, that was one part my dealer did have in stock. They replaced the washer every time they changed my oil. They didn't carry exhaust gaskets or the right side cover (clutch cover) gasket.

Of course my dealer shut down several months ago, so it's a moot point now.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17