Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

No Citation Issued

If this had been two cars you can about bet the police officer would have been writing tickets. It really gripes me nobody seems to care about motorcycle riders. The news media at least pointed out the rider was wearing a helmet.

The Tucson man was killed when a a 62-year-old woman driving a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta at the intersection of South Houghton and East Valencia roads turned in front of him and he crashed into her vehicle, said Sgt. Matt Ronstadt, a Tucson police spokesman. The crash occurred about 4:30 p.m.

Davidson-Kinwarder, who was wearing a helmet, died at the scene, Ronstadt said.

According to police, the motorcycle was southbound on Houghton approaching a yellow light when it struck the Jetta which failed to yield. There was no indication either driver was speeding.

The woman was taken to a hospital with minor injuries.

No citations have been issued

Watch out for anybody making a left hand turn.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

No Citation Issued

Just the way that article was worded pisses me off. It sounds like the rider intentionally hit the car, rather than the car pulling in front of the rider leaving him no time to react.

A ticket for failure to yield is nothing compared to the the charges for negligent manslaughter that SHOULD have been filed against her.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Top Contributor

No Citation Issued

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Just the way that article was worded pisses me off. It sounds like the rider intentionally hit the car, rather than the car pulling in front of the rider leaving him no time to react.

A ticket for failure to yield is nothing compared to the the charges for negligent manslaughter that SHOULD have been filed against her.
Agree with you on this one Scott. There are times when it is truely an accident but this doesn't meet that .
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 04-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

No Citation Issued

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman
Quote:

Agree with you on this one Scott. There are times when it is truely an accident but this doesn't meet that .
I'm sure the driver didn't leave her home intending to kill a motorcyclist that day. Violating the right of way of any vehicle, while not necessarily intentional, is negligent. When that negligence results is serious injury or death, it should be a criminal offense, not a civil traffic infraction. Yes, it was accidental, but it was caused by a driver's negligence.

Just my $.02 worth.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

No Citation Issued

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman

I'm sure the driver didn't leave her home intending to kill a motorcyclist that day. Violating the right of way of any vehicle, while not necessarily intentional, is negligent. When that negligence results is serious injury or death, it should be a criminal offense, not a civil traffic infraction. Yes, it was accidental, but it was caused by a driver's negligence.

Just my $.02 worth.
+1
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
No Citation Issued

I agree with all of you. No reason for anyone to turn left in front of a car or motorcycle. Some people just don't pay attention or they are in such a hurry. Jail time should be mandatory.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181