Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #1

Brand of Gasoline

Since gas is through the roof, and we are all looking for ways to save a buck, does it matter what brand of gas you use. By that, I mean, is Racetrac, Raceway, or Wal Mart gas ok, or should we stick to the BP's, Conoco's, Exxon's, Shell's, etc. in our Nomads ? I've always heard that the "off brands " have neither the quantity, nor quality of detergent additives as the "brand" name gasolines, so there is a potential fuel injector clogging problem. Can anyone shed any light on this fact or myth ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Brand of Gasoline

Try to do a search. I'm sure some wise fool has answered that question before.....

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 03-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #3

Brand of Gasoline

There was quite a spirited discussion about this a few months ago. Wolfman?

Old 03-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Brand of Gasoline

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...4304551&page=1

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 03-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #5

Brand of Gasoline

Sorry. Looks like I may have stepped in a bed of ants. I guess I should have assumed that there has been discussions on this subject ; however, having only been a member for a few weeks, I was not a part these discussions, and was only inquiring for my own benefit, and thinking some other new Nomad owners could use the information as well. Thought you guys may have been of some help. I will look elsewhere.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #6

Brand of Gasoline

My gut tells me there's no difference. I run 2-3 different brands and never see a difference.
My gas mileage always stays within 1-2 mpg all the time. I'm sure my driving habits are the differences.

vin

Old 03-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #7

Brand of Gasoline

My brother-in-law delivered gas to several different stations for years. It all came from the same central tank. The only difference was the bottle or two of the stuff he was supposed to pour in the underground tanks when he was filling them at the various stations. I suspect things haven't changed.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 03-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Brand of Gasoline

Bankerfrank, no ant's here, just trying to keep current topics in somewhat order. I looked for the link so you could see for yourself so you didn't have to search. Now that's service with a smile right? :-)

Member # 0005

Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #9

Brand of Gasoline

I try to use Hess since they don't get the oil from South America or the Middle East. Find no performance difference in brands. They all come out of the same pipe.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Brand of Gasoline

Just remember oil/gas is a commodity and traded on the world market with futures. None of the stuff is labeled. That's the definition of the "commodities market". Indifferential to any other likeness". Remember if a brand claims additives that make it better be somewhat leary. Gas my nature is a solvent and evaporates quickly because it is a "solvent". Plus the AQMD Air Quality Management Division doesn't allow any ingredient that would substantually change the properties of gas. Federal guidelines are mandated. FYI

Member # 0005

Old 03-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Brand of Gasoline

Quote:
Sorry. Looks like I may have stepped in a bed of ants. I guess I should have assumed that there has been discussions on this subject ; however, having only been a member for a few weeks, I was not a part these discussions, and was only inquiring for my own benefit, and thinking some other new Nomad owners could use the information as well. Thought you guys may have been of some help. I will look elsewhere.
Dang bikerfrank.....I dont know what got your feathers ruffled.....you were pointed to the link where this has been discussed with a hyperlink.....the "wise-fool" BD was referring to was himself in a long dissertation that he did on the merits of additives in gasoline that you would have seen if you read the discussion in the hyperlink provided..........If you have anything to add I am sure the discussion will continue.....don't know why you feel like you need to look elsewhere and why you want to accuse folks of not helping....don't think you will find a group much more willing to help than you have here....at least that's been my experience since just after the site started...

Maybe I am reading your response wrong..if so I apologize....if not, sorry you feel that way but I dont know whatelse you might want :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 03-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Brand of Gasoline

kids-kids,,,,,,:-)

Old 03-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #13

Brand of Gasoline

Quote:
kids-kids,,,,,,:-)
I think this is a classic example of when you are in a discussion group it is quite often to misinterpret the meaning of the author. When BD mentioned doing a search, I did not know that he meant a search of this site. When he spoke of a "wise fool I did not get an indication that he meant himself. I don't know you guys very well, and it's hard to tell in writing when someone is kidding. I sincerely thought that I had opened a can of worms that some had been at odds about in the past. I was merely bowing out of what I wrongly thought was a hot subject . BD's link was posted while I was writing my reply, and I did not see it until later. I read through the whole thread, found it very informative, and it answered most of my questions. Thanks, BD for posting it for me. todd1, thanks for your reply. My feathers weren't and aren't ruffled. I have found all of you guys very helpful, and patient in answering questions you've probably heard many times. I look forward to posting in the future.
NOW, LET'S TALK ABOUT GASOLINE !!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Brand of Gasoline

Gasoline stinks, is expensive and getting more so and we can't live without it. What more is there to know?
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #15

Brand of Gasoline

Quote:
Bankerfrank, no ant's here, just trying to keep current topics in somewhat order. I looked for the link so you could see for yourself so you didn't have to search. Now that's service with a smile right? :-)
Absolutely, BD. That's what I call service. Thanks. The thread answered most of my questions. Thanks for going to the trouble of looking it up and posting it for me.

P.S. Are Nico and SWB really gay ?