Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #1

Tire Pressures

This may sound dumb but I really don't know. I purchased a 2007 Nomad with A Hancock Optima car tire on the rear and a Dunlop 404 rear tire on the front. Do I follow the recommended specs on the individual tires? Do I follow the specs in the MOM or do i do something completely different as far as the tire inflation goes? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #2

40 psi front try 32 rear and try different pressure in 2 psi increments until you find the pressure that makes the bike handle like you want.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-27-2015, 05:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Lenox Rider View Post
This may sound dumb but I really don't know. I purchased a 2007 Nomad with A Hancock Optima car tire on the rear and a Dunlop 404 rear tire on the front. Do I follow the recommended specs on the individual tires? Do I follow the specs in the MOM or do i do something completely different as far as the tire inflation goes? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Put some bike tyre's on it mate.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
40 psi front try 32 rear and try different pressure in 2 psi increments until you find the pressure that makes the bike handle like you want.
Thats what I'd do as well.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
Top Contributor

If you put too much air pressure in a car tire on the rear you will wear out the center of the tread in 5k to 7k miles. That's no better than a bike tire, and defeats the purpose of using a car tire.

Another thing to remember, the car tire is rated for over 1200 lbs max load. On a Nomad, the max weight on that tire is going to only be 500-600 lbs. Ergo, it won't need the amount of air as if it was on a car.

I run 26-28 psi in my rear car tire.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 08-27-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Put some bike tyre's on it mate.

Seconded. It's a bike, not a car. Completely different tire loading, dynamics, and handling. If tire mileage is really that important sell the bike and buy a car.

Let the hate begin....

Old 08-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #7
Top Contributor

/\
Obviously, you have no direct experience to form an intelligent opinion on the subject.

Do as you wish, I really don't care.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 08-28-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Lenox Rider View Post

There is a web site called Dark Side Tire Information

This may help you ?

Old 08-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #9

Thanks to for the responses. I will check the pressures this weekend and continue to check. I am not sure if I will keep the car tire on the bike yet. I have an arse pucker that kicks in on curves especially if the roads are wet. I haven't had any issues with the rear tire at all other than comfort levels that exist in my head. Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
/\
Obviously, you have no direct experience to form an intelligent opinion on the subject.

Do as you wish, I really don't care.
Mate,you sound like you never rode on anything other than straight road's.Anyone who has ridden a bike of any desciption around a bend will know you are talking out of your arse

Old 08-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Mick. Many people in North America ride on car tires to save money.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Mick. Many people in North America ride on car tires to save money.
I see that mate,and i understand. But if i rode all day long on endless staight road's, with an automatic throtle control set at 60-80mph, bored out of my brain's,just to clock up the mile's and impresss . I dont think i would even consider telling othder people what tyre's they should use.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #13

No body told anyone what to use. The question was what pressure to use in a ct.
I put 24000 miles on my first ct on some of the twisted roads around. Wore it out and put another ct on.
If you have never ridden on a ct that is set up properly then you just don't know.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
No body told anyone what to use. The question was what pressure to use in a ct.
I put 24000 miles on my first ct on some of the twisted roads around. Wore it out and put another ct on.
If you have never ridden on a ct that is set up properly then you just don't know.
With all due respect mate,you never rode a proper bend,if you had you would'nt be saying that

Old 08-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Mate,you sound like you never rode on anything other than straight road's.Anyone who has ridden a bike of any desciption around a bend will know you are talking out of your arse
Respectfully, you're the one that doesn't know what you're talking about.

I have ridden the "Tail of the Dragon" more times than I can count along with many more of the twisties that we have in this area of the United States. I have done this with both a motorcycle tire and a car tire on the rear of the Nomad. There is no difference in the capability of the bike to handle the curves up to speeds where hard parts begin to drag on the road.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006