Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #1

Anti seize or Loctite?

I am going to be installing my new Cobra True Duals today and I think I remember reading somewhere about Mac saying to use anti seize on the pipes or joints or somewhere. What is the difference in anti seize compared to loctite and can either be used and where exactly should it be used? A dumb question I know but it has got me to thinking and now I'm not sure which way to go. I have got my Dunlop CT mounted and installed and the next project is to remove the stock pipes and install the new ones but would like to know what everyone thinks I should do.

Thanks
Butch

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #2

Anti seize or Loctite?

Loc Tite is used for keeping nuts and bolts from coming loose, whereas anti seize is used for keeping them from siezing together. Since exhaust systems are constantly hot and cold, the fasteners tend to sieze tight on there own so an anti sieze product is applied. You should not miss this step because after a while they can sieze so tight that the studs can break off and then you have a real mess on your hands. I also use it on the axle bolts, final drive studs, brake caliper bolts etc. Its especially where two different metals are in contact with each other.
I use Loc Tite on my hardbag knobs and seat bolts, since they tend to work loose on there own easily, and any other bolts that have a tendency to work loose from vibration.
In most cases blue Loc Tite is good enough, but for some heavy duty applications there is a red Loc Tite that really holds tite, but heat is usually required to loosen it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #3

Anti seize or Loctite?

Thanks Ring for the reply. Now where should I be putting the anti seize when installing the new pipes? Dumb I know but I want to be sure. I did notice that when I took off my chrome shields off my old pipes that those clamps wouldn't loosen all the way and since the get real hot that would be where I think an example of the anti seize should go so the clamps could loosen up totally. Probably don't put any on them but. Does that sound right? I just want to get a handle on every place that I should be smearing the anti seize if that is the correct term. Should I Loctite the studs for the exhaust flanges?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #4

Anti seize or Loctite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmmbt
Should I Loctite the studs for the exhaust flanges?
NO not if you want to get them apart. Torque them to the proper spec run thru and heat cool cycle then check the torque again.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 03-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #5

Anti seize or Loctite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmmbt
Thanks Ring for the reply. Now where should I be putting the anti seize when installing the new pipes? Dumb I know but I want to be sure. I did notice that when I took off my chrome shields off my old pipes that those clamps wouldn't loosen all the way and since the get real hot that would be where I think an example of the anti seize should go so the clamps could loosen up totally. Probably don't put any on them but. Does that sound right? I just want to get a handle on every place that I should be smearing the anti seize if that is the correct term. Should I Loctite the studs for the exhaust flanges?
On the exhaust system I would use anti seize only on all the studs and fasteners, Loctite wouldn't work there regardless because of the heat involved.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Anti seize or Loctite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Its especially where two different metals are in contact with each other.
This is true when you have aluminium and iron/steel. The electrolytic reaction between the two causes them to seize or almost fuse together. You will see this with aluminium intake manifolds and steel studs. Anti-sieze is the ticket here. I would also include spark plugs in aluminium heads.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Anti seize or Loctite?

Make sure you get all your fingerprints off the new exhaust before you start the bike.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Anti seize or Loctite?

Any time you are installing bolts and nuts on anything like exhaust systems you will always want to use antiseize. Makes it easier to take apart later. Good advice on the spark plugs also. Makes it easier to take them out when you need to check them or change them. Also use dielectric on the tip of the spark plugs.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #9

Anti seize or Loctite?

Mac replied via PM and went through the process on what and how I should do what I need done. I had the task finished by then but was reassured after reading what Mac wrote that I had for most part done what he laid out. Kudos to Mac as well as all that responded here back to me.