Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

Question LED plug and play load equalizer

I own a 2015 Vaquero. Bought the bike used. Previous owner installed LED strip turn signals between the bags and filler strips. I guess with the change in load I guess the turn signals were blinking quickly so he wired the existing oem turn signals up front in the wiring harness and taped the oem lights to the fairing. Anyways I don't like this method and feel one day one of the oem lites will fall off after hitting a bump and cause me some problems probably on my trip next summer so I would like to be pro active and remove the oem turn signals and hopefully install something plug and play to alleviate the quick blinker of the LED. Anyone know of any plug and play units available that would alleviate this problem. Thanks in advance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #2

I don't know of any plug and play equalizers for the vaq. I put LED signals on mine and I installed a load equalizer/resistor. It was pretty straight forward wiring, just cut positive wire and splice in load equalizer.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #3

Thanks Cartman tp. I assume you are talking about cutting the positive wire on the leds and splicing into it. I will have to check with Custom Dynamics to see if they have them or some other supplier. Wiring isn't my forte but if it is that simple I am ready to try it

Old 11-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #4

Yes positive wire on led and positive on bike. I actually ordered mine from custom dynamics.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:39 PM   #5

I was looking at Custom Dynamics this afternoon before I went to work. The one I was looking at was an universal 7.5 ohm metric turn signal load equalize GEN-7.5.30. It said it fits non canbus metric models. Was this the one that you had installed. Not sure what canbus means Cartman tp

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by ballbreaker; 11-24-2017 at 12:05 AM.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:06 AM   #6

What Be CanBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbreaker View Post
I was looking at Custom Dynamics this afternoon before I went to work. The one I was looking at was an universal 7.5 ohm metric turn signal load equalize GEN-7.5.30. It said it fits non canbus metric models. Was this the one that you had installed. Not sure what canbus means Cartman tp
CanBus is a strange electrical system that is on a CANAM Spyder. While it's 12v it runs on a strange monitoring system. Strange, Weird, Pain in the Ass.

Give me +12v and -12v anyday.

Anything you have that is VULCAN is NOT CANBUS

Old 11-24-2017, 07:27 AM   #7

BallBreaker,

I used one of these on the front LED turn signal swap. Easy: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...SABEgIG8_D_BwE

(Referenced post is here: http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ighlight=front)

Ride safe,
Smokier

Last edited by smokier; 11-24-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #8

Thanks to Smokier,mike07nad and cartman tp for all the tips and information on install and suppliers. Liked the reference to the post from Smokier. I will have to make time for this mod as well as the headlight.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Don't use load equalizers as it defeats the purpose and is not best option.

I am using the Custom Dynamics universal equalizer on my bike as I got is half price at DKirk
https://www.customdynamics.com/unive...ualizer?cat=59

That being said IMO it is simply a turn signal isolator/modulator such as when you install trailer wiring harness on bike and want to isolate it.

I installed this on my bike for trailer wiring and could have used for turn signals as well.
Tekonsha 119179 ModuLite Protector with Integrated Circuit Protection
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbreaker View Post
I own a 2015 Vaquero. Bought the bike used. Previous owner installed LED strip turn signals between the bags and filler strips. I guess with the change in load I guess the turn signals were blinking quickly so he wired the existing oem turn signals up front in the wiring harness and taped the oem lights to the fairing. Anyways I don't like this method and feel one day one of the oem lites will fall off after hitting a bump and cause me some problems probably on my trip next summer so I would like to be pro active and remove the oem turn signals and hopefully install something plug and play to alleviate the quick blinker of the LED. Anyone know of any plug and play units available that would alleviate this problem. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #10

Thanks for your input Lumberjack. I do like the idea of it not heating up and having it handle the whole bike for turn signals and brake lite.