Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 09-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #1

Distinguished Gentlemans Ride 2017

Me,and 231 other blokes,had a great,sunny day today.We all did the Solent ride of the DGR.For those who dont know what it's all about,Google is the best secretary i know of.A steady bimble along the south coast of England,with some amazing old bits of biking history,while raising a few quid for a worthwhile cause.The amount of people that turned out on the pavements as we passed by,was amazing.It really made my day to see all the kids waving,and the smiles on their faces,just cant be bought.Even if only 10% of them grow up to ride a bike,the other 90% of the little bastard's will never forget what they saw today.It pissed down with rain on the way home,and i got soaked,but i still got a with a grin on my face.A bottle of "who hit John" is being severely thrashed as i write.A good day .

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by mick56; 12-15-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #2

Is that second pic an actual V-twin Norton or a "custom" (i.e., Norton frame with a HD or Indian flat head)?

Old 09-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
Is that second pic an actual V-twin Norton or a "custom" (i.e., Norton frame with a HD or Indian flat head)?

It says Jackson on the tank mate.I looked around for the owner,to learn a bit,because i never heard of it.He was not to be found.There was a lot of interest in it though.Some "cheese eating surrender monkey" was looking at it when i was.He reckoned it was front wheel drive,on account of the cog on the front wheel.As anyone can see,that is the speedo drive.And like every other arrogant Frenchmen,he needed telling.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Nice pics and nice bikes, my friend.
Have a great day, Mick!

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
Nice pics and nice bikes, my friend.
Have a great day, Mick!

Mate, i had a great day,met some real interesting people too.That's the thing with this ride,everyone has an interest in old school,and are of a certain age.I got so many photo's,that my page here wont allow any more.The final destination was the18th century fort Purbrook.It was built along the south coast,along with many others,to keep the French bastards away from our shores.We really need some politicians with the balls to re- deploy them today.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by mick56; 01-09-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #6

I must need new glasses..........I looked at it again and it still looks like a Norton emblem. I've never heard of a "Jackson" before.

I did a Google on it and they were made in the late 20's/early 30's. Used an AJS engine and some Royal Enfield bits to make the bike. At least that's what the article said.

Last edited by duffy; 09-24-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Pic 3 looks like an Ariel Square 4 with a double adult sidecar ?

What brand of alcohol is "who hit John" ?

Old 09-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #8

Mick, you didn't get into any trouble for sneaking unto the gentlemans ride, did you ? Nice Pics

Old 09-25-2017, 12:07 AM   #9

Thanks for sharing the pics Mick . I don't know diddly about old bikes but I sure can appreciate when someone puts so much passion into keeping an old bike looking like those . We don't have bikes like that here .

Old 09-25-2017, 12:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
I found a post (http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/picture.../#.WciGmMiGMf0) that said it was called the "Jackson Indomitable 1000". Probably a custom build.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
I found a post (http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/picture.../#.WciGmMiGMf0) that said it was called the "Jackson Indomitable 1000". Probably a custom build.

That's the same bike mate.See if you can find the bike in photo 4.I cant read the name on the tank,but i do remember that i never heard of it before either.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Pic 3 looks like an Ariel Square 4 with a double adult sidecar ?

What brand of alcohol is "who hit John" ?

You got it mate.I can never tell between the 600cc and the 1000cc,but my guess would be the 1000cc.The bloke had his wife and 2 kids with him,they were loving it. "Who hit John" is a local name for Smirnoff blue label vodka.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
Mick, you didn't get into any trouble for sneaking unto the gentlemans ride, did you ? Nice Pics

I dressed up a bit,and managed to get away with it.I suspect i was'nt the only one.

Last edited by mick56; 01-09-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:52 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Great pictures Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Me,and 231 other blokes,had a great,sunny day today.We all did the Solent ride of the DGR.For those who dont know what it's all about,Google is the best secretary i know of.A steady bimble along the south coast of England,with some amazing old bits of biking history,while raising a few quid for a worthwhile cause.The amount of people that turned out on the pavements as we passed by,was amazing.It really made my day to see all the kids waving,and the smiles on their faces,just cant be bought.Even if only 10% of them grow up to ride a bike,the other 90% of the little bastard's will never forget what they saw today.It pissed down with rain on the way home,and i got soaked,but i still got a with a grin on my face.A bottle of "who hit John" is being severely thrashed as i write.A good day .

Old 09-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #15
Advanced Member

I have seen where some have tried to get that going here, but not sure if it took off. Glad to see a 'goose' in one of the photos.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad