Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 09-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #1

Ran off the local expressway today

I was heading home when a guy decided to go from the first lane to the third without paying attention to traffic. I ended up on the shoulder for a short bit, but being new to the Vulcan 1600, I ended up on the grass on the median,which is where I lost control and went down. Fortunately my speed had significantly reduced, although it was still quite a jolt when I hit the ground. Stupid me left the Tourmaster pants in the trunk, but had the jacket on and was fairly well protected.. The guy who ran me off the road gunned it and was gone. It is unlikely I will get any justice out of the situation, but at least I am in good health (just a sore back and some bike repairs needed). So, does anyone have suggestions on how to keep the bike steady on tall grass? I clearly don't have a clue on how to navigate a Vulcan off road.

Thanks,

Chris

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #2

Always remember that your balance is in your feet/legs not your butt............it is quite hard to stand on the floorboards of a Nomad but it can be done. It's not perfect but it "helps".

Old 09-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #3

Stay OFF front brake! Look ahead, knees tight against tank, firm grip on the bars. Rear brake and down shift if you have enough real estate. When you get it stopped and have used up all the curse words you know, say a prayer of thanks and change into clean shorts.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #4

Sorry this happened to you but I'm glad that you survived as well as you did

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 09-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the tips, folks. I hope to never need to use them, but better prepared than sorry. I definitely will try to remember to keep off the front brake. The worst part was telling myself to stay off the grass, causing me to completely focus on the grass and go into it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-25-2018, 09:02 PM   #6

So it looks like the bike won't take too much work to set right. I will only take time to heal. Does anyone practice riding off the pavement? It might be a bit of paranoia, but I want to be prepared for any future events.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #7

I just saw this post. Glad to hear you escaped without serious injury.
I’ve never tried practicing off road riding on a Vulcan. I just try to keep it on the pavement.
Hope you heal up quickly and are back on the road soon.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 10-01-2018, 11:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post
I just saw this post. Glad to hear you escaped without serious injury.
I’ve never tried practicing off road riding on a Vulcan. I just try to keep it on the pavement.
Hope you heal up quickly and are back on the road soon.
Thanks, Budman. It's funny how many bruises have come out since the incident. I am grateful that God spared me from anything more serious. I find myself looking for this person when driving in my truck, since the bike isn't ready yet. I'm just frustrated that someone would take off when it could have been worse.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #9

Thank god you are OK with no serious injuries.
Do you think he even "knows" what he did? Probably was clueless.
Had a similar thing happen to me on the BQE in Brookyn, fortunately there was enough shoulder along the left lane. Only thing I would think of if it had been a grass median would be think "dirt bike". Yeah...I know an 800lb dirt bike.
Just glad that you a OK and the bike can be repaired.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb View Post
Thank god you are OK with no serious injuries.
Do you think he even "knows" what he did? Probably was clueless.
Had a similar thing happen to me on the BQE in Brookyn, fortunately there was enough shoulder along the left lane. Only thing I would think of if it had been a grass median would be think "dirt bike". Yeah...I know an 800lb dirt bike.
Just glad that you a OK and the bike can be repaired.
Thanks, JohnB.

Yeah, the look on his face when he finally saw me said it all. But at least I walked away. I am trying to pound out the dents to the fork cover so I can use it, but the shifting issue is going to need to be fixed at a shop. Riding season is pretty much done for me, despite the 80 degree weather up here.

I 've been driving on the BQE in a car and was worried about getting into an accident. I can't imagine doing so on a bike.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:01 PM   #11
Advanced Member

This is an example of why I try (as best I can) to not be alongside or near any other vehicle when I get near to an exit ramp. I assume any road user in the far right lanes could suddenly change lanes out two to three lanes with NO regard for whoever may be near, especially a motorcycle.

Same for as I approach entrance ramps; I watch/scan the entrance ramp for any vehicle coming up the ramp and any vehicle around me that may limit my options as I approach the end of an entrance ramp. It all takes more effort and awareness, but if it avoids interaction with other vehicles it is worth it. I had a neighbor who said he needed to get loud pipes on his girlfriend's bike because she got cut off by a car at an exit ramp, to make sure the car drivers could hear the bike near them. I tried to explain loud pipes is not the answer, because for a car driver to really know where a bike is relative to a car, you already have to be really close to have any positive results, and limited options. The real answer is not to ride yourself in close enough to another vehicle that you have to rely on another person to figure out where you are to avoid a conflict. In my book, by that time you are already WAY too close to insure you are any safer because your bike is loud.

Again, don't ride yourself into your own traffic issues. Relying on others to realize and respect your place on the road is at best a dream.

Last edited by andyvh1959; 10-12-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:15 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Yep

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 10-12-2021 at 10:21 PM.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:12 AM   #13
Top Contributor

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
This is an example of why I try (as best I can) to not be alongside or near any other vehicle when I get near to an exit ramp. I assume any road user in the far right lanes could suddenly change lanes out two to three lanes with NO regard for whoever may be near, especially a motorcycle.

Same for as I approach entrance ramps; I watch/scan the entrance ramp for any vehicle coming up the ramp and any vehicle around me that may limit my options as I approach the end of an entrance ramp. It all takes more effort and awareness, but if it avoids interaction with other vehicles it is worth it. I had a neighbor who said he needed to get loud pipes on his girlfriend's bike because she got cut off by a car at an exit ramp, to make sure the car drivers could hear the bike near them. I tried to explain loud pipes is not the answer, because for a car driver to really know where a bike is relative to a car, you already have to be really close to have any positive results, and limited options. The real answer is not to ride yourself in close enough to another vehicle that you have to rely on another person to figure out where you are to avoid a conflict. In my book, by that time you are already WAY too close to insure you are any safer because your bike is loud.

Again, don't ride yourself into your own traffic issues. Relying on others to realize and respect your place on the road is at best a dream.
Ture! You should always be ready for any situation and be more careful especially on roads.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:31 PM   #15

Haven't been on in quite a while- but just saw this post...WOW does this hit home. October 7th this past fall I too was a victim of a hit-and-run POS. Bike still awaiting parts arrival. I am still dealing with medial issues, so far over $3K in out-of-pocket medical cost. (Road rash on right forearm-sleeve got pushed up upon blacktop contact, and my right ankle got twisted resulting in deep bone bruise and damaged tendons.) Luckily bike received only cosmetic damage (bag, fairing, crash bars- which protected the bike very well!). Still always watching for the green Town and Country that ran the light and struck me. Not pleased with local PD- reporting officer said "you've got insurance, so you'll be fine". His exact words. In other words ZERO effort was done to check local cameras or witness reports. My insurance company is just as disgusted with them as well. I'm still kicking and was very glad to hear you survived also Lightcs1776! I'm a firm believer that fate will catch up with those that have wronged us.