Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthWest Group

Old 08-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #16
Mega-Contributor

Hey John, thanks for popiping in. I was beginning to get worried.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #17

I don't think too many of the Region Leaders are overly active on their region's board any longer. I see very few rides offered throughout the year.

I belong to a few groups and these groups seem to always have something they are putting together. Sometimes there are a lot who participate, while other times just a few; but for certain there is always something going on.

Having been a ARL before I realize it can be a difficult, time-consuming, and most times a thankless job; but "back-in-the-day" we attempted to put regional rides together. Eventually a small, but core group of members would at least show for a few of the rides. It never was a huge group, but at least there was something.

It just seems the regional idea needs some work... JMHO

EDIT: Since my days... we have lost most of our NCR leaders and or ARL's to national positions. Jay is now the VBA President; and Amin is the VBA V.P. We keep losing our regional guys to higher, more grand positions.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Last edited by glwilson; 08-19-2015 at 07:24 PM.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
I don't think too many of the Region Leaders are overly active on their region's board any longer. I see very few rides offered throughout the year.

I belong to a few groups and these groups seem to always have something they are putting together. Sometimes there are a lot who participate, while other times just a few; but for certain there is always something going on.

Having been a ARL before I realize it can be a difficult, time-consuming, and most times a thankless job; but "back-in-the-day" we attempted to put regional rides together. Eventually a small, but core group of members would at least show for a few of the rides. It never was a huge group, but at least there was something.

It just seems the regional idea needs some work... JMHO

EDIT: Since my days... we have lost most of our NCR leaders and or ARL's to national positions. Jay is now the VBA President; and Amin is the VBA V.P. We keep losing our regional guys to higher, more grand positions.
Funny that you mention that, the SW ARL posted and ride invite just two days ago and unfortunately hasn't gotten much/any response yet.http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42247

The challenge with regions is their size. Again, this thread is talking about the SW region, which is massive. From the se corner to the nw corner of the SW region it is over 1700 miles and there doesn't seem to be one particular area of the region that is more dense with members. The idea of regional rides sound fantastic, but I wonder how realistic it is, especially with this region.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Last edited by Jared; 08-19-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
What is this "popiping" you speak of?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-19-2015, 11:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
The challenge with regions is their size. Again, this thread is talking about the SW region, which is massive. From the se corner to the nw corner of the SW region it is over 1700 miles and there doesn't seem to be one particular area of the region that is more dense with members. The idea of regional rides sound fantastic, but I wonder how realistic it is, especially with this region.
I'm starting to see that. The Colorado run is too far away for me right now, but somewhere down the line I'll have the time.

It's cool to see a group from Nevada, California and Arizona converging on Laughlin. There is hope yet!

---------------------------------
2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 18" Street Glide Front wheel conversion (details are on this forum)
- HD King Tour-Pak w/ Wompus Rack
- Mustang wide touring two piece seat
- Chuckster's 3" Handlebar Risers
- Baron's Big Air Kit
- Chuckster's left side decorative plate
- Cobra True Duals w/ Billet Tips
- Speedmetal Cree LED Headlight conversion kit
- Michelin Commander II tires

Real Estate Broker/Property Manager
Las Vegas, NV USA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-20-2015, 02:09 AM   #21

Quote:

Me too. I've been really having some sleepless nights on this subject.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Funny that you mention that, the SW ARL posted and ride invite just two days ago and unfortunately hasn't gotten much/any response yet.http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42247

Given your statement, it seems one of two thoughts should be explored.

1st: If the size of regions prohibit any realistic attempt to do anything on a regional basis, such as various rides, then having regions is possibly not necessary.

2nd: If the size of regions is the deterrent to promoting activities or rides; then it appears the idea of re-sizing the regions might make sense.

Just a thought...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Last edited by glwilson; 08-20-2015 at 07:16 AM.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #23
Top Contributor

Quote:

The idea of regional rides is great but this is a day ride. Realistically, that means people within a 30 to 60 minute radius meeting. For me, it is a 2 1/2 hour ride to just get there so I would have to leave at 5:30 a.m. just to meet up with them and then what time would I get home after the ride.

There has never been a "Hot spot" location where there are many active members in the SW region. This adds to that difficulty of developing regional rides.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 08-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #24
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
What is this "popiping" you speak of?
#$%damn cell phone.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #25
Top Contributor

Quote:
#$%damn cell phone.
I thought it was the vibration of the Harley as you were texting at a stop light.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 08-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #26
Mega-Contributor

I haven't ridden my Harley in over a year, other than riding it from our old house to our new house.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 08-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #27

Here are some photos from our ride to the Pioneer Saloon last weekend. There were 3 of us, two Nomads and a Honda. It's a lot closer than I remember, so it was an easy ride.

http://s394.photobucket.com/user/mik...n%2008-22-2015

---------------------------------
2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 18" Street Glide Front wheel conversion (details are on this forum)
- HD King Tour-Pak w/ Wompus Rack
- Mustang wide touring two piece seat
- Chuckster's 3" Handlebar Risers
- Baron's Big Air Kit
- Chuckster's left side decorative plate
- Cobra True Duals w/ Billet Tips
- Speedmetal Cree LED Headlight conversion kit
- Michelin Commander II tires

Real Estate Broker/Property Manager
Las Vegas, NV USA

Old 08-26-2015, 09:59 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
I haven't ridden my Harley in over a year, other than riding it from our old house to our new house.
Thats about normal for you easy rider

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #29
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
The longest I went when owning a bike was 4 months. A year? wow.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 11-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #30
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderdyer View Post
So, I make this commitment. I'll check in on the forum on the SW page at least once each week from now on.

Brandon (ARL) and I have been putting out heads together in with a few others in discussions about the '16 SW Region Rally, and if we iron out a few more what ifs, will be ready for general input and final announcement very shortly.
Hasn't been on since 9/3 and no announcement of SW Rally. I guess I won't be making it this year.
VBA 213
VROC 16913