Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #1

Nomad wont start. Ign. wire ?

Hi everyone. This has happened 3 times in the past & I thought it was the battery wires, but now I'm sure it is not, wires are tight & the battery is fully charged. Heres whats up, I turn the Ign. switch, the speedo goes up & down as normal. But when I press the start button I hear clicking from the right side, I'm guessing it is contacts opening & closing. But then I lose power for a second. The speedo goes up & down again but my odometers & clock are reset. Are these the symptoms of the ignition wire under the tank that Kaw. says isn't a problem on the Nomad ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #2

It is not a symptom of the ignition wire recall on the 1700s. I'll bet your spedo recycling again happens when you release the start button and voltage returns to normal.

It is a symptom of loss of voltage or starter relay. I would start by connecting a voltmeter across the battery and see what happens when you try to start the bike. A voltage drop to 11 volts would be OK. Lower and your looking at a battery issue. if voltage stays around pre-start level your looking at wiring problem.

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Old 11-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #3

+1 on what Hillhouse said. It could be some other problem, but the clicking and display resets usually mean a bad battery.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #4

Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Y View Post
Hi everyone. This has happened 3 times in the past & I thought it was the battery wires, but now I'm sure it is not, wires are tight & the battery is fully charged. Heres whats up, I turn the Ign. switch, the speedo goes up & down as normal. But when I press the start button I hear clicking from the right side, I'm guessing it is contacts opening & closing. But then I lose power for a second. The speedo goes up & down again but my odometers & clock are reset. Are these the symptoms of the ignition wire under the tank that Kaw. says isn't a problem on the Nomad ?
If you have a Battery Jump pack - put it on the battery and try your starting routine.

If it starts alright - it's probably the battery.

There was a guy over on the Delphi KVRF forum who always said - "It's always the battery!"

More often than not, he was right.

So in my Very Best Sunny Bob Voice - IT's The Battery!

Old 11-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
If you have a Battery Jump pack - put it on the battery and try your starting routine.

If it starts alright - it's probably the battery.

There was a guy over on the Delphi KVRF forum who always said - "It's always the battery!"

More often than not, he was right.

So in my Very Best Sunny Bob Voice - IT's The Battery!
Before I posted I put my charger on it & the " Fully Charged " light came on so I figured it was something else. I'll set it to "start" & see if it fires up. This bike is a 2012 that I bought new in 2014, so that battery is 5 years old.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Y View Post
Before I posted I put my charger on it & the " Fully Charged " light came on so I figured it was something else. I'll set it to "start" & see if it fires up. This bike is a 2012 that I bought new in 2014, so that battery is 5 years old.
It's the battery.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 11-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #7

I would concur with others, probably battery. It can be fully charged and not retaining amps.mmi had a car that had the same issue, battery was fully charged, 14.8V but not enough amps to turn it over.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:47 AM   #8

Just because the charger, or the meter for that matter, says the battery is fully charged, it isn't necessarily.

It is likely just a surface charge.

99 out of 100 times when the odometer and clock reset, the battery needs to be replaced.

It is what it is.
VBA 936

Old 11-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #9

It really is most likely the battery, or if you’re lucky a loose ground connection but it sounds like a cell is opening up under a load.

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Old 11-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #10

Your clock and trip meter resetting means the power delivery from the battery was not sufficient enough to sustain the memory on those devices. It's the same as disconnecting the battery leads. If your battery is 5 years old... replace it. Especially since your having these problem that all indications point to it failing under a load, ie starting the motorcycle.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 11-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #11

Well I guess I lucked out that it died slowly, the first time it happened I was somewhere in PA. in Aug. I would rather it be the battery instead of having to hunt down an electrical gremlin. And the timing couldn't be better, black Friday sales are next week. Thanks everyone.