Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #1

Questions Before Buying

Hey everybody, glad to join the forum.

I have been riding for a number of years had a Harley got rid of it, because it beat me up, traded up for a Yamaha Warrior and have loved it for about 3 years.

Although, its a great bike and offers a bit of cruiser and sport worlds I find myself wanting to go further and longer and after about 60-70 miles i just have to stop.

The vaquero caught my eye about a year and half ago and I have been searching ever since. I found one local, which I am learning is a rare thing (not many used vaqueros out there) and debating on what to do.

I am from MD and it seems to be a common practice for dealers not allowing you to test ride any bike used or new. I understand there reasoning but at the same time as a consumer this is not a helpful practice. The last bike I bought was in PA and i test rode it twice and loved it.

I had a couple questions. I am a bit nervous of trading the warrior in on a vaquero for losing that muscle ride and agile handling. I have read that the vaquero actually handles pretty well and has the same size v twin that has some serious power for being such a heavy bike. I know I am going into a totally different type of bike and ride, i just want that extra nudge before making a decision.

Anyone out there been in my shoes?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2017, 12:27 AM   #2
Top Contributor

I wouldn't buy a bike (or cage) without a test ride. Just wouldn't happen.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-10-2017, 01:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowl88 View Post

I have been riding for a number of years had a Harley got rid of it, because it beat me up, traded up for a Yamaha Warrior and have loved it for about 3 years.

Although, its a great bike and offers a bit of cruiser and sport worlds I find myself wanting to go further and longer and after about 60-70 miles i just have to stop.

The vaquero caught my eye about a year and half ago and I have been searching ever since. I found one local, which I am learning is a rare thing (not many used vaqueros out there) and debating on what to do.

I am from MD and it seems to be a common practice for dealers not allowing you to test ride any bike used or new. I understand there reasoning but at the same time as a consumer this is not a helpful practice. The last bike I bought was in PA and i test rode it twice and loved it.

I had a couple questions. I am a bit nervous of trading the warrior in on a vaquero for losing that muscle ride and agile handling. I have read that the vaquero actually handles pretty well and has the same size v twin that has some serious power for being such a heavy bike. I know I am going into a totally different type of bike and ride, i just want that extra nudge before making a decision.

I put 100,000 miles on a VMax in 10 years. I started shopping for a bagger in 2010, rode a guys Voyager for a 10 mile test loop at the Cortez rally in June, saw the pics of the Vaquero from the dealer show in October, bought the first one in Tulsa still in the crate in Jan. 2011. The VMax didn't leave the garage for 9 months after that.......

Old 08-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

Where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowl88 View Post

Ok let's start here.

#1 - Even if you find a Stock Vaquero or Voyager (Same basic bike but diff bags and a trunk). There are upgrades you can make to give it more power. The first would be to upgrade the ECU to what we call and Ivan ReFlash - It retunes the 1700 Vulcan to bring out what is hidden in the stock 1700. Pipes and Big Air kit will add more.

#2 - While I'm not a Yamaha Warrior expert - I'm gonna assume it's a Non-Fairinged bike and it weighs a lot less than the Vaquero. Going to a Heavier Fixed Fairing motorcycle it will feel like a TANK to you. But then again it's meant for a different purpose. Can you Rocket Red light to Red light, Yep you still can. But probably not as fast as on the Yamaha. The Vaquero/Voyagers are meant to be Longer Haul Cruisers. I did a 600+ Miler couple weeks back on my Voyager. Hershey, Pa - Maggie Valley, NC. Different bikes - Different results.

#3 - The Vaquero / Voyager has a Radio sound system, Cruise control, some years have ABS/linked braking, gear shift indicator, liquid cooling, throttle by wire. Again not knowing the Warrior I'm not sure how many of those things are on the Yamaha.

#4 - Check CycleTrader.com and see if there are any used ones. I know that my dealer in Annville, Pa has a used 2014 Flat Black Vaquero http://www.patandsonservicecenter.co...17003-1499101i

I know several who have them - but most of them got the Vaquero's after having different Kawasaki Vulcan's. They all like them and put many miles on them.

Hope that helped.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #5

Welcome Fowl, I have a Nomad that bought in '14' & I Avg. 5,500 Mi. a year on. It doesn't have the fairing just a large windshield. It gives you a better view of the road, but you feel the wind a little more than the Vaq / Voy. I test rode the Vaq. & gave it some serious thought but #1. they only had flat black, #2. I wanted the bigger saddle bags. I put a set of Kuryakyan sound of chrome speakers on & I'm sure they don't compare to the Vaq / Voy. stereo. Over 55 I have can't hear the music, but that may be due to the setting at the time I downloaded music to my Ipod. I have a G.P.S. that I can hear at Interstate speeds. This is my 4th. Vulcan. My 1500A was a love / hate relationship. But the last 3 didn't give me any trouble.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #6

It may sound crazy but try earplugs. I can't hear my radio at all without them, with them as clear as a bell........Mike

Old 08-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
It may sound crazy but try earplugs

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 08-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #8

As mentioned... buy the type bike for the type of riding you enjoy.

If you want to go touring buy something comfortable, reliable and with enough power to merge and pass without much effort. More power in the right hands actually improves safety.

I am one that thoroughly enjoys touring. I don't enjoy riding around in town.

My perfect ride is 3 or 4 days with a couple of buddies.

If I don't have the time I will cut it back to a 2-300 mile single day ride.

I have done 500-800 mile per day rides but I prefer to get to a hotel by 4, cleaned up, and go get dinner and a cocktail so 300-400 is my target when going on multi-day rides.

The beauty of a comfortable Touring bike is you can use it for a 75-mile ride or a 1500 mile ride. I don't see a Yamaha Warrior being very comfortable trying to do both of those.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 08-11-2017, 01:38 AM   #9

I really like the Voyager, especially the frame mounted fairing (makes for a much better ride, very little buffeting), also on the Vaquero. I like the, stereo (need to upgrade speakers one of these days), storage in saddle bags and trunk, and lots more. You get used to the weight after awhile. At first, be very careful in parking lots and gravel roads at slow speeds. I'm getting older and weaker so may not be able to continue for too many more years. I may consider getting it triked. Consider getting a older model that is still new. If it's in your budget, you can get a good deal on a great bike.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:42 AM   #10

Fowl88,

Welcome to the VBA! The Warrior is a beast compared to the Vaquero or Voyager. Yes, they are 1700's, however, the Warrior is geared and tuned differently. Do not know which Harley you had, or how you ride.

The Vaq and Voy are cruiser - touring rides. After IVANizing (ECU reflash), these bikes do wake up quite a bit. That said, the Vaq still isn't a Warrior from the TWIST-THE-THROTTLE perspective. The Vaq is nimble for an 846 lbs heavy weight. It has been a while since I have ridden a Warrior, so do not remember the lean angle. The Vaq and Voy will be more comfortable for longer trips and racking up more miles. Just rolled 19k miles after 13 months of ownership.
As others have indicated, it is your riding style and riding desire that will play a bigger part in deciding if the Vaq/Voy are right for you. They are great bikes. Great long haul, reliable, durable machines. I am not sure they will be canyon carvers or launch off the line machines, yes they can do it. However, not really what they were designed for doing.

Just MHO; hope it helped. Good luck with your decision, ride safe!

Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Last edited by smokier; 08-11-2017 at 05:44 AM.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
The Vaq is nimble for an 846 lbs heavy weight
I can not speak for the riding skill of the Harley behind me today but, cornering was not his best suit. I Believe it is due to the 28 degree rake on the front Of the Vaquero and the fairing bolted to the frame. You can stop and not put your feet down on the Vaquero. My 1500 Vulcan (30 degree rake) with a reckless fairing ( bolted to the forks) was a pig compared to the Vaquero. "This Bike... will Kill"

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 08-12-2017, 05:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
I can not speak for the riding skill of the Harley behind me today but, cornering was not his best suit. I Believe it is due to the 28 degree rake on the front Of the Vaquero and the fairing bolted to the frame. You can stop and not put your feet down on the Vaquero. My 1500 Vulcan (30 degree rake) with a reckless fairing ( bolted to the forks) was a pig compared to the Vaquero. "This Bike... will Kill"
Yeah, I love Vaq on curves. The occassional 'rub' and switch-back sesnsation are great!

Old 08-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #13

Thanks everybody for the input. I have to say I have never met anyone who regretted buying a vaquero, but also havent seen many out there.

In terms of riding style, i am a basic cruiser, 60 to 100 mile rides, but have the itch to go further. I like everything that the vaquero offers and everything you guys are saying, i guess i am just afraid of giving up the opportunity to carve and just blast off. I think i am going to buy one, knowing it is a different bike and different ride, i guess i was just hoping it would offer just enough for a little adrenaline rush here and there.

My goal is to take my rides up a notch and possibly stretch them into trips. Thanks for the input!

Last edited by fowl88; 08-12-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #14

I bought a Vaquero 2 weeks ago today. Already have had the ECU "Ivanized" and bought a backrest. Waiting on the windshield (a must) and other accessories I have ordered to arrive.
I absolutely love riding it. Its a comfortable fun bike to ride. Im saying that as a Goldwing rider too.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #15

Bought a 2015 brand new and have had no regrets. Am constantly recieving praise on the bike from all friends. Even Harley riders give praise. A must to make comfortable is a clearview windscreen, and a utupia backrest. Many on this site praise getting the ECU flashed by Ivan's. I have not since I am stock with air and pipes. I still take off like a rocket and do love the sound of the OEM pipes. Dont hesitate for these are good bikes and there are lots of passionate vaquero owners to help in modifying your new ride.