Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #16

So here I am once again to fill you in on the latest. Even after my 75 mile run without issues, I went for another short ride a few days later thinking all was well but to my surprise the clutch started slipping quite badly even after that short ride. I bumped the MC banjo fitting to get me home and it worked fine. Now I was thinking that having the clean fluid in the system may have loosened up more crap in the lines etc so I took apart the MC and installed the new kit. Also made sure the tiny pinhole in the MC was cleaned out. I then did the same cleaning to the slave cylinder, put it all back together and bled the system real gone. It took a while for all the air to bleed out but once it was done I had perfect clutch lever action with a little play before the clutch actuated. I think I finally have my problem solved. I cannot reiterate enough the importance of replacing old clutch fluid and cleaning out the system.
I am confident that I have my problem solved now and will post again after some ridding to confirm that as I know many others have had clutch problems.
Thanks again to all, especially "gillisfire', your experience helped a lot.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #17

Sorry to hear you still had a problem. But at least this time you had the rebuild kit for the master cylinder ready to go. Hopefully you didn't have to much trouble with the snap ring. I can say from my experience that my clutch is working great. And if I have to change my clutch fluid, I now have enough experience in doing it, I could probably do it with my eyes closed!

When I was having my issues, I searched and searched and could not find anyone that had posted about rebuilding the master cylinder. Much less a description on how a bad master cylinder acts. So I just took a chance and tried it. So between the two of us, if anyone else has a similar issue, these posts may help them. Or if I see someone posting about a similar problem I am defiantly going to recommend this to try. And we both learned how important it is to keep clean fluids in our clutch and brake cylinders. You don't think about those when you do the other fluid changes. But it is in my to do maintenance list now!

So hopefully now we are fairly sure that your problem is fixed. Give us an update in a couple days after putting some miles on your bike. Glad I was possibly able to help you out. Ride safe my friend.
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50
And restoreing 1979 Honda CB750k

Old 02-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #18

Sure enough "gillisfire" I had to rebuild the MC and clean it out some more. I also cleaned up the slave cylinder and made sure it was in good shape. The I filled up the system and bled it real good until the clutch pressure was there. What a difference now with the clutch action and shifting. Been out a few times now and still working like new. Plan on going on a long run tomorrow and will post any changes. I can't reiterate enough the importance of changing old clutch/brake fluid. Mine must have been the original because the brown sludge had plugged up the tiny bleeder hole in the MC.
Anyway, I'm quite confident that I now have the problem solved and thank you "gillisfire" for all your info, it sure helped me out. Will keep you posted if any change and I expect it will only be good news.
Martin

Old 02-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #19

I was just curious about an update. Have you had any more problems or was the problem your master cylinder? I know after rebuilding mine, my bike has been a lot more responsive when shifting gears. I did about 270 miles today and loved every minute of it.
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50

Old 02-16-2014, 12:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillisfire View Post
I can not answer for Martin, but I use the 20/50 synthetic due to the heat we deal with. I am about a 30 minute ride to the Gulf of Mexico. So our spring, summer, and most of fall seasons the temps are in the mid 80's and up. In the summer it is normal to be close to 100 degrees out. So you can imagine the temperature coming off the black top. So I found my bikes handle the 20/50 oil alot better. I have also added some Blue Ice to my radiator fluid. It helps to keep my bikes running a little cooler. I ride with some friends that have 1500's and 900's and find my fan doesn't come on quite as often. And it is fun when I ride with my friends that have Harleys, you don't want to leave them running and sitting for very long. But as an example of what type of heat we have here, it is Feb. 2nd and it is 78 degrees.

And Martin, Hopefully you have your problem fixed. If it does act up, go ahead and try rebuilding the clutch master cylinder. Then you can rule that item out for sure. And you are using DOT 4 brake fluid rite?
FYI GUYS , engine ice is a high performance coolant replacement. not an additive.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #21

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond but since the bike has been running so well I've been out enjoying it. So yes, I'm happy to say that my slipping clutch problem has been solved.
I would like to think that my efforts to replace the clutch spring with the mean streak spring and JW's was not in vain because the old spring definitely had wear marks on it. However, I do believe the main problem was the old, dirty clutch (brake) fluid and how it had clogged up the master cylinder.
All this aside, I am glad I took the time to dig into this problem with the help of members from this forum.
Thanks all and happy, safe riding,
Martin

Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #22

Glad to hear your issues are solved. And changing out your clutch spring and adding the JW's defiantly helps. I know after changing mine it helped. So between rebuilding the master cylinder, fresh fluids, and new clutch springs and washers, my Nomad is ALOT more responsive and fun to ride.

I was curious about a follow up from you because you are the only other person I know of that had to rebuild the master cylinder. I am sure there are more, I just couldn't find any related posts. So I gave it a try, it worked, so I suggested it to you. Glad to know it helped you. And in a weird way, glad I wasn't the only one that had this problem.

So if we see someone posting about having clutch issues, we now have another suggestion for them to try. Share the knowledge!
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50

Old 06-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #23

Clutch Slipping

I have been having a slipping clutch issue. After reading the posts from gillisfire, I've decided to get a clutch rebuild kit. My problem is exactly the same as what has been discussed in this forum. By bumping the line on the master cylinder, I get my clutch usage back. I am hoping a rebuild will also fix my problem. After reading the posts, I decided to join this forum.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
I have been having a slipping clutch issue. After reading the posts from gillisfire, I've decided to get a clutch rebuild kit. My problem is exactly the same as what has been discussed in this forum. By bumping the line on the master cylinder, I get my clutch usage back. I am hoping a rebuild will also fix my problem. After reading the posts, I decided to join this forum.
Welcome to the forum. Go to the New member introduction section and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 06-02-2015, 11:24 PM   #25

Waving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Welcome to the forum. There is ALOT of good information you can find on this forum. I know it has helped me alot. Stop in and introduce yourself in the new member section.

And hopefully rebuilding your master cylinder fixes your problem. Post back and keep us updated.
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50

Old 06-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #26

Wow, glad I found this thread. Same problem on my 2006 FI Nomad....starts slipping after warming up. Nothing too bad but it's a problem. Gonna try your "bump" trick and might just rebuild the master cylinder to be safe. I changed my clutch fluid late last year so good possibility old crud was still in the lines.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #27

Gadgets fix it

Does anyone know if Gadgets fix it page is down or no longer exist Can not find it anymore...

Old 06-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #28

Here is the new link to view Gadgets page

https://web.archive.org/web/20150208...sfixitpage.htm
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50