Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #1

02 Nomad Rebuild

Bought a 02 Nomad 1500 around Christmas to discover the engine was cooked. Started looking for a low mileage 1500 FI engine and found there weren't too many out there worth buying. Came across a 02 Mean Streak 1500 engine with low miles and ended up bringing it home. My main question about the meanstreak engine is the ECU. It appears the 02 Nomad and the 02 mean streak have different ECU's and was curious how I do the swap. My Nomad has a 3 plug unit and from what Ive seen the mean streak has a 1 plug. Any ideas how to do the swap?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #2

I believe that the nomad has 2 stators and the meanie has 1 stator. I would change all the wiring from the Nomad to the Meanie. Everything should interchange. Also, the Meanie is geared just a tad lower than the Nomad. This should result in a quicker hole shot and a slightly higher RPM at cruising speed. Should be barely noticeable.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #3

Is the Nomad fuel injected?

The FI bikes in the 1500s are interchangeable. The only difference is the spark advance curve.

The 1600s use an ECM that has 1 large plug.

How about a picture?

The 1500 meanie is a direct bolt in for another 1500.

You're not going to use the meanie electronics.

Use all of the wiring from the Nomad.

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-21-2015, 06:42 AM   #4

Ecu

What got the ball rolling on my questions was I was told I'd need a meanie ecu due to the engine being a little "hotter" than the nomad engine. So I started to look up meanie ecu's on eBay and from what I found the ecu's plug port was different than my nomad ecu. My nomad is fuel injected. I'll post some pics this evening.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #5

I would think you be just fine with the Nomad ECU/harness. As stated the MS only has one stator, but I would think that a second may be added. I think it depends on if the three bosses are in the case. IF you do that all the pick-ups and pigtails will be the same as the Nomad. The 2002-2003 meanstreaks had hotter cams, but the 1600 MS had the same as the 1500/1600 Classics. All meanstreaks have lower gearing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #6

Engine swsp

I'll be digging into it this weekend and will likely have a few more questions. My fear is if the nomad ecu is different it won't run right, at all or possibly damage the new engine due to overheating, running lean ect...

Old 05-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #7

I believe MAS Tequila is right. The 1500 FI engines are all interchangeable. Use the Nomad stuff and you should be good. Don't worry about swapping the ECU.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:00 AM   #8

I found that out a few years ago.

I had fried my ECM by crossing the wires on the fuel processor.

Guy Mobely gave me some expert advice. He informed me that the only difference between the ECM's, whether it was a Drifter. Meanie, Classic, or Nomad, was the advance curve.

I ended up with a 2002 Classic ECM in my 2003 Nomad.

For those who don't know of Guy, he used to own Sherm's Cycle Products, and still owns more than one world speed record for the v-twin class the Meanie is in.

MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
I believe MAS Tequila is right. The 1500 FI engines are all interchangeable. Use the Nomad stuff and you should be good. Don't worry about swapping the ECU.
VBA 936

Old 06-03-2015, 06:30 AM   #9

Finished

Just wanted to thank everyone for there help and input. Nomad went back together without any problems. Only difference I found was an extra wire adapter off the nomad coming from the regulator. Other than that no difference whatsoever. Engine fired up after only a few short cranks. Engine smoked quite a bit at first but after only about three miles or so is almost non existent. I suspect the donor bike may have laid on its side for a bit. Only part I may replace on the nomad is my exhaust. Previous owner when a little crazy with a hole saw and needle nose. I prefer stock exhaust so if anyone has a set laying around let me know, thanks again. Mruff