Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 08-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Top Contributor

New 2014 Indians

http://www.cycleworld.com/videos/fea...Z-M4FL3-jQR3IB

I'm not quite sure what to think. I do like the styling on the Vintage model, but I think they came up a little short on the Chieftain....not so much in styling, but in common comforts for large touring bikes. There are no hard lowers, and unbelieveably, there is no tour pack with a luggage rack. How can this be a full touring model without those things, especially at 23 large....??

All of the bikes (Chief, Vintage and Chieftain) come with ABS, keyless ignition and cruise control, but the lack of a tour pack on the Chieftain is wholly unnacceptable for their top of the line tourer. The Batwing fairing looks a lot like the Vic Cross Country fairing, only with the driving lights built in....not bad for a fork mounted fairing. The 111ci Thunderstroke is a thing of beauty....and for sure has to be the driving force at this stage of the game. Hopefully the rest will come....what do y'all think?
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Netnorske; 08-04-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #2

would have to agree there is a lot of things missing for $23k. It is nice
looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-Indian-Chief-Vintage.jpg (41.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-Indian-Chief-Classic.jpg (54.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-Indian-Chieftain.jpg (100.2 KB, 64 views)
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Last edited by plumber63; 08-04-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Probably won't be trading off my Vision for a Chieftain any time soon although I'd like to ride one. I'm hoping some of the tech moves over to the Vic line next year (like central locking, keyless ignition and better integrated controls). We'll see.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #4

I think I'll be riding my Vaquero for a long time! But I do like competition in the field, the end result is better quality and more choices, regardless of what you prefer.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 08-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #5

I doubt I'll be picking one up soon, but I kind of like the Vintage, I prefer the old school look.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...n-motorcycles/

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post

I'm not quite sure what to think. I do like the styling on the Vintage model, but I think they came up a little short on the Chieftain....not so much in styling, but in common comforts for large touring bikes. There are no hard lowers, and unbelieveably, there is no tour pack with a luggage rack. How can this be a full touring model without those things, especially at 23 large....??

All of the bikes (Chief, Vintage and Chieftain) come with ABS, keyless ignition and cruise control, but the lack of a tour pack on the Chieftain is wholly unnacceptable for their top of the line tourer. The Batwing fairing looks a lot like the Vic Cross Country fairing, only with the driving lights built in....not bad for a fork mounted fairing. The 111ci Thunderstroke is a thing of beauty....and for sure has to be the driving force at this stage of the game. Hopefully the rest will come....what do y'all think?
You took the words right out of my mouth Kris...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post

Well I like the look of the Vintage. Chieftain ??? Not so much. No offense intended to the Victory people but,....I didn't care for the Chieftain because it does look similar to the Vic Cross Country. And although both those bikes ride great,... I'm sure,....I'm just not ready for the styling.

But the Vintage would be a nice "ride round town" ...

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #9

I don't like the fairing. Looks too "flat" to me.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #10

I'll stick with a Nomad.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #11

I absolutely LOVE the skirted fenders....but what I have invested into my Nomad would probably only make two payments on one of those.....and we'll both get to the same place with bugs on our teeth. I'm keeping my Nomad.

'01 Vulcan Nomad 1500 Fi
'05 Yamaha V Star Classic 1100

Old 08-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
I'm keeping my Nomad as well. Still, I think Indian is on the right track. Polaris did a great job with Victory and they are keeping the smoother lines of the Indian. From what I can see with the electronics on the Chieftan the price is not all that far out of line. I bet they sell a ton of these. Sweet ride.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #13

I like the looks of them for a first year bike, but before I'd buy one I'll let someone else be the guinnea pig. Anytime a company does a major redesign there are bound to be some issues. I'd love to take one out but the nearest dealer is almost 400 miles from me. (Alberta Ca.)

As far as the styling, I like the standard and the vintage, not sure what I think about the Chieftain Fairing. As far as a tourpak on the chieftain, Indian doesn't advertise the bike as a touring model, just a bagger. You could always mount one up if that's what floats your boat but unless you had one custom built I think it would ruin the looks of the bike. I'd probably use a t bag or pull a trailer first.

Guess I'll have to start my new bike fund, You never know.........

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
I like the looks of them for a first year bike, but before I'd buy one I'll let someone else be the guinnea pig. Anytime a company does a major redesign there are bound to be some issues. I'd love to take one out but the nearest dealer is almost 400 miles from me. (Alberta Ca.)

As far as the styling, I like the standard and the vintage, not sure what I think about the Chieftain Fairing. As far as a tourpak on the chieftain, Indian doesn't advertise the bike as a touring model, just a bagger. You could always mount one up if that's what floats your boat but unless you had one custom built I think it would ruin the looks of the bike. I'd probably use a t bag or pull a trailer first.

Guess I'll have to start my new bike fund, You never know.........
They maybe don't pretend to be a full tourer....but they do make some noise about competing with the MotoCo for some Bagger dollars. With three distinct models...a Plain Jane Classic, a Vintage w/leather bags and a full fairing hard bagger, the Chieftain, you would just think that the top-end one would indeed be a full touring model with all the bells and whistles to compare with the HD Ultra-Classic. The Vintage model would be for all the people who want the bags, but don't want the full tourer. For all those looking for a full touring bike, and let's face it, that is a huge portion of the bagger market nowadays, Indian has simply sold themselves short. JMHO....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #15

I like the Classic. The new motor should be strong. I read somewhere of a 60% trade in deal after 3 years of use which might keep resale values form falling a lot.

Last edited by Ramblin; 08-06-2013 at 09:26 AM.