Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #16

As I have said before, snow isn't so bad.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #17

CRAP. Just killed #2 in two days, this one IN the house, and pretty fat and juicy.

Looks like it will be a busy year again.

CRAP.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #18
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
We have those here too. Not in the house, thank God.

We have lived in this house since March of '07. We used to have a nasty cricket problem. Those little buggers would get everywhere and chirp all night. Scorpions love to eat crickets. We haven't had hardly any crickets at all since we started seeing scorpions.

Scorpions, rattlesnakes, tarantulas, centipedes, black widows and the only poisonous lizard in North America can be found here. We also have africanized bees.
Sounds like heaven!

Las Vegas, Nv
VBA #02107
2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500
1980 Yamaha Seca 750 (past)
1969 Kawasaki 350 (past)
1967 Pannonia T8 250 (past)
1971 Honda 100 Twin (past)

Old 04-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
We have those here too. Not in the house, thank God.

We have lived in this house since March of '07. We used to have a nasty cricket problem. Those little buggers would get everywhere and chirp all night. Scorpions love to eat crickets. We haven't had hardly any crickets at all since we started seeing scorpions.

Scorpions, rattlesnakes, tarantulas, centipedes, black widows and the only poisonous lizard in North America can be found here. We also have africanized bees.
Don't forget the coyotes, bobcats, pack rats, coral snakes, and god knows what else.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 04-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #20

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlreeves View Post
We have them here in North Georgia too. My wife has been stung twice by what they call a devil scorpion. Both times getting out of the shower and grabbing a towel with a scorpion in it. I've found them in my boots laid by the bed overnight so I always dump them out before putting them on.

In the United States, scorpions are most common in southern Arizona out through central Texas and Oklahoma. The common striped scorpion reaches from northwest Mexico to southern Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and Mississippi. Other species of are found from Florida north to Maryland, the Carolinas, and Tennessee, and as far west as Oregon and California. Yet another is found through the Northwest U.S. and into Canada. Scorpions can be found in 31 different states in the U.S., including Hawaii.
I use to live in Juliette,GA and we had them there. I got stung once when I pulled a fleece throw over me and a dern good one when I put a boot on! My Godd they ain't nothin' like getting stung on the toes! It burns for what you think is going to be the rest of your LIFE. It stings like getting electrocuted!

I felt something like a Cow Killer ant like I stepped on when I was a kid. My eye still well up when I think about it.
When you've been stung by that bstrd, you been stung!

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #21
Advanced Member

It's 2:35 am. Sitting here with scorpion venom coursing through my veins. Stepped on the little bastard an hour ago when I got up to use the bathroom. Can't get back to sleep. Foot's burning/throbbing like crazy. Saw the Scorpion header on the post and couldn't resist.

I've lived in Arizona since 1986. Never saw a scorpion until two years ago. That year they were everywhere. We sprayed, used diatonasious earth at all doors and windows and I would hunt them at night with ultraviolet light and a can of scoripion "on contact" killer. I'd get at least half a dozen pretty much every night. Last year not so bad. This year they're back. I got 14 in one night (not in the house but around the perimeter and in the alley behind us).

Makes ya nervous to walk around at night. They're not super dangerous. When they sting ya it just burns, throbs, then eventually causes numbness. It took 12 hours for it to wear off completely. It's very irritating and makes it hard to put a shoe on for a while.

Must be the weather or something. It was a really wet/rainy winter. Maybe that's what brings em out? Scott's right about the cricket thing. We used to have tons of em........now you never hear em chirping. The bug man we hired two years ago said the best thing you can do to get rid of them (scorpions) is to eliminate their food source, cuz there aint much that'll kill em.

This stuff really works. Kills em on contact. It just takes one short shot. Takes about 30-45 seconds to kill them and ya get to watch em suffer until then. It really works. I highly recommend it. Get it at Lowes, Home Depot etc. This stuff and a black light (scorpion light) is good for lots of payback. They really squirm when it gets on em. Should've taken a photo of all my kills.

(doctor evil laugh) Hooo aaah hooo aaaah.......

Arizona bark scorpions are small but.......

The bark scorpion is the most venomous scorpion in North America, and its venom can cause severe pain (coupled with numbness and tingling) in adult humans, typically lasting between 24 to 72 hours. Temporary dysfunction in the area stung is common; e.g. a hand or possibly arm can be immobilized or experience convulsions. It also may cause the loss of breath for a short period of time. Due to the extreme pain induced, many victims describe sensations of electrical jolts after envenomation.

Fatalities from scorpion envenomation in the USA are rare and are limited to small animals (including small pets), small children, and adults with compromised immune systems. Extreme reaction to the venom is indicated by numbness, frothing at the mouth, paralysis, and a neuromotor syndrome that may be confused with a seizure and that may make breathing difficult, particularly for small children. Two recorded fatalities have occurred in the state of Arizona since 1968; the number of victims stung each year in Arizona is estimated to be in the thousands. In Mexico, more than 100,000 people are stung annually, and during a peak period in the 1980s, the bark scorpion claimed up to 800 lives there.[2]

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 04-22-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
I'm glad we don't have them here.
I'm with you there Steve...but you have black flies that are big enough to f@#k the hummingbirds don't you??? The black flies will take a chunk out of you !!! That I know from experience.

Life is perfect here on the "wet coast".... not much flies or crawls around here because it's raining most of the time.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 04-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead View Post
I felt something like a Cow Killer ant like I stepped on when I was a kid. My eye still well up when I think about it.
When you've been stung by that bstrd, you been stung!
Dang, Kawhead, that explains a lot! Musta been the venom went to your head!
and YUP, glad it wern't me!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 04-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #24

That does it, I ain't EVER going to AZ! All I got to worry about around here are diseased mosquitoes - poison spiders - copperheads - cottonmouths - rabid skunks - occasional wolf - rare bear - and now let's ALL chime in together, the distracted cager!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #25
Mega-Contributor

I went out Saturday and bought a UV flashlight (28 LED model, spared no expense ) and have been checking the house at night, haven't seen one yet. I tested the light on the one in the picture in the first post. (He's resting peacefully in a baggie at the bottom of a trash can) He lit up a bright yellow/green when hit with the UV light. When my son is home, I'll send him outside with the light to hunt for them, he likes to dispose of scorpions.

I didn't mind them so much when I'd see them in the garage, but once they invaded my home, the war was on. My son's girlfriend got stung by one in our hallway a couple of weeks ago. I told her not to walk around without shoes on. So far, she's ignored my advice.

Oh yeah, we also have these: Vinegaroon
although I have yet to see one. They are pretty harmless but look mean as all hell.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 04-22-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #26
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy View Post
I'm with you there Steve...but you have black flies that are big enough to f@#k the hummingbirds don't you??? The black flies will take a chunk out of you !!! That I know from experience.

Life is perfect here on the "wet coast".... not much flies or crawls around here because it's raining most of the time.
Well, at least until you fall into the ocean or you have the great tsunami that washes you out to sea.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #27
Advanced Member

Scorpions and Black Widows are nothing. These are the guys you really need to watch out for. Brown Recluse. I've seen 6 of these in one night over by the Colorado River. Small but nasty. The attached photos are of course, worse case scenarios of bites that got infected.

If left untreated........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brown recluse (Small).jpg (19.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg brown_recluse_spider_bite_Day10 (Small).jpg (36.5 KB, 18 views)

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 04-22-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #28
Mega-Contributor

Ask Mitch about the brown recluse. He got bit by one a couple years back.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #29

Those spiders are in Colorado
Feelin real good about the National now
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy View Post

Yep, we have the black flies and mosquitos but they are not that bad were I am, whwn I first moved to Newmarket in the early 80's you couldn't sit outside after dinner because of the bugs. Now you don't see too many.
I have found two black widow spiders the past few years though, I think one was in a box from the grocery store, and the other in some old lumber.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951