Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Crankcase back pressure?

I recently replaced a Kuryakyn Hypercharger with a Chuckster's air kit. There was one vacuum line to the Hypercharger which I plugged and the larger hose going to the reed valves I capped with the supplied plug. I've noticed a marked decrease in engine noise but also a leak from my oil filler cap. The o-ring is new and the cap is tight so my guess is that it's a high pressure leak. Could I be somehow developing back pressure in my crankcase? Would a breather help? I'm really puzzled by this.

Las Vegas, Nv
VBA #02107
2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500
1980 Yamaha Seca 750 (past)
1969 Kawasaki 350 (past)
1967 Pannonia T8 250 (past)
1971 Honda 100 Twin (past)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #2

I've noticed this also after high speed interstate driving. It's a thin film streak(s) you can barely see unless the light hits the chrome right. I just wipe it off.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin City Stan View Post
I've noticed this also after high speed interstate driving. It's a thin film streak(s) you can barely see unless the light hits the chrome right. I just wipe it off.
Actually Stan, a few times it sprayed a small pattern on my right pant leg. My leak seems to manifest itself more as rivulets than streaks. Curious.

Las Vegas, Nv
VBA #02107
2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500
1969 Kawasaki 350 (past)

Old 11-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #4

The crank breathes from the lower front of the engine.

Check that hose.

MT
VBA 936

Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
The crank breathes from the lower front of the engine.

Check that hose.

MT
I followed that hose to the nipple on the back of the Chuckster's intake. It seems ok except for a very slight kink where it connects to the intake backing plate, due to the angle. It's not completely kinked, just slightly. Would that be enough to cause the problem?

Las Vegas, Nv
VBA #02107
2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500
1969 Kawasaki 350 (past)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
VBA Founder

You might check out this page. Scroll to the bottom under Crank Case Breather.
http://vulcanbagger.org/tips.htm

Inexpensive and works well. I've been using it for several years.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #7

Are u sure its not oil coming from filter in chucksters intake? That is if u r using an oiled air filter such as K&N.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbke View Post
I recently replaced a Kuryakyn Hypercharger with a Chuckster's air kit. There was one vacuum line to the Hypercharger which I plugged and the larger hose going to the reed valves I capped with the supplied plug. I've noticed a marked decrease in engine noise but also a leak from my oil filler cap. The o-ring is new and the cap is tight so my guess is that it's a high pressure leak. Could I be somehow developing back pressure in my crankcase? Would a breather help? I'm really puzzled by this.
I had the same problem with the dual plate kit with just a small amount of oil building up and dripping from the dog bowl onto the right side chrome cover. If your vent hose is kinked it could be building crankcase pressure. If it's leaking from the fill cap you will eventually start leaking from other gaskets. Place your finger on the end of the crankcase vent fitting on the inside of the plate with the engine running. You should feel it blowing through the fitting. If not, your hose is kinked enough to build case pressure. Don't allow this to continue. I'd maybe look into a breather filter and re-route the hose from the intake to the filter. Good luck.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

smbke , If I were you i would get rid of the reed valve bodys with Chucksters Coaster plates, And so get rid of all the hoses and crap with it. Done the way most people do it that leave a vac line from the throttle body plug air tight and tie wrapped to the frame.

That in itself can't be a reason for high crank case pressure, but you do not want any crank case pressure and that breather hose should breath both ways, In and Out. I wouldn't ride until I had run the engine, as was sure that breather hose was breathing in and out.

At that i would want the hose off to make sure no mud daubers set up house in that tube.... Wouldn't be the first time i saw something like that.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #10

Check your oil level..it could be to high and it will enter into your filtler hence drip from there. It will also suck back into the motor which will tarnish your butterflies and affect your idle.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
Are u sure its not oil coming from filter in chucksters intake? That is if u r using an oiled air filter such as K&N.
Well, have I got egg on my face! You were right, idhthept! I finally opened my eyes and realized that the oil that was accumulating around the oil filler cap was red! Not engine oil but K/N red filter oil! I took the air filter off and discovered a small pool of oil had accumulated at the bottom of the filter. Apparently at high speed the oil was being blown out of the air filter and back toward the right side case and my right leg. I checked the breather hose in the chucksters intake, Mac. It's breathing just fine ... in and out. Thanks to all for helping me see what was right in front of my face! I appreciate this community.

Las Vegas, Nv
VBA #02107
2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500
1969 Kawasaki 350 (past)

Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Well, have I got egg on my face! You were right, idhthept! I finally opened my eyes and realized that the oil that was accumulating around the oil filler cap was red! Not engine oil but K/N red filter oil! I took the air filter off and discovered a small pool of oil had accumulated at the bottom of the filter. Apparently at high speed the oil was being blown out of the air filter and back toward the right side case and my right leg. I checked the breather hose in the chucksters intake, Mac. It's breathing just fine ... in and out. Thanks to all for helping me see what was right in front of my face! I appreciate this community.
I noticed that on my filter as well sometimes after I cleaned it. A simple fix is always good news.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #13

Quote:
I followed that hose to the nipple on the back of the Chuckster's intake. It seems ok except for a very slight kink where it connects to the intake backing plate, due to the angle. It's not completely kinked, just slightly. Would that be enough to cause the problem?
It's been avery long time since I last checked in here. Past history, I did the Caddmann mod on my 1500 and kinked the breather hose on reinstall. that resulted in pressure build up and the hose blew off at the front, spewing crankcase gasses and oil everywhere! And I mean everywhere. Reinstalled and made it straight and no more problems.