Old 03-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #1

Riding in formation

Thoughts on riding in formation?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Riding in formation

I like to ride slightly staggared both or more bikes taking up both sides of the lane.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 03-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Riding in formation

Here's a thought: pay attention!

I ride in formation all the time, it takes some getting used to, problem is you get the occasional rider who forgets they are riding in formation and starts to drift, or just stakes out their turf in the middle of the lane. If you have experienced riders who are used to formation riding, it's a blast, newbies can make it a hair-raising experience. But we all started out that way, so just be patient and they'll get the hang of it soon enough. You just have to be constantly aware of your immediate surroundings, which shouldn't be new to any rider, just maybe a little more so when riding in formation.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #4

Riding in formation

I don't know....... I bring this up because on the way up to meet BD we came up behind a group of 10-12 bikes riding in formation. We fell in behind them and rode along with them for several miles. I felt claustrophobic after a while and whipped around them. I think it goes back to my growing up with horses.... sometimes she's feeling her oats and wants to run.... sometimes lay back.... when we ride in a small group it's understood that if you want to "run".... go ahead.... just slow down or pull over at some point and wait for the rest.... I'm sure Dan will straighten me out on this insanity!!!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #5

Riding in formation

Lots of folks I ride with like to ride in formation. I ask them to give me the whole lane. If you need to communicate with me then pull up beside, but otherwise I own all the lane on each side of me. That way I can enjoy the countryside and drift a little here and there and not worry about someone next to me...not to mention in case of emergency I don't have someone in my exit route.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
VBA Founder

Riding in formation

Actually, riding in formation should not be stressful, if you do it successfully.

I offer this info for your perusal.

http://www.magnaownersoftexas.com/formation.htm
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 03-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #7

Riding in formation

Quote:
Actually, riding in formation should not be stressful, if you do it successfully.

I offer this info for your perusal.

http://www.magnaownersoftexas.com/formation.htm
The information on that link looks like good information to me Trip. But I wouldn't do the side by side parade formation ever.

In many, if not most places, it is illegal. But unless you're Ponch and John, and know each others riding style in the highest degree, I just wouldn't do it.

I like to only ride the stagger formation, and keep at least 2 seconds between every other rider so that you are 2 seconds behind the person that is in your side of the lane up ahead.

In my opinion, you own the whole lane left or right of you. If there is a pot hole etc. you can swerve how every you please to get around it, it's your lane. But if you do move to the other side, do so only briefly as you will now only be 1 second behind the rider in front of you on that side of the lane.

I like to ride with people who are pretty disciplined in their lane choice. when you bunch up at a stop light, and then get back up to speed, in undisciplined groups you keep ending up on a different side of the lane than the one you were in pulling up to the light. That irks me. Why can't you leave in the same stagger that you pulled up to the light?

I like to leave lights and accelerate pretty briskly, but in groups things need to be done fairly gradually because of the rubber band effect.

Here's a good description of it.

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=062

Old 03-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #8

Riding in formation

We do it all the time - biggest issue is who is going to lead (noone wants to)

1. Stagger and leave room for the slower riders
2. EXPECT the guy in front of you to cover more real estate in a corner even though they shouldn't
3. Be smoth
4. Ride really FAST (just my preference)

Old 03-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Riding in formation

You guys did not leave much to be said. Great info. When I ride with the Blue Knights it is always the staggered formation. Lead rider accelerates with the group in mind to minimize the rubber band effect. Works very well.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 03-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #10

Riding in formation

I usually ride solo, more my style. But have fallen into some formations, nearly everyone I see does it staggered sometimes with spacing tighter than I'm comfortable with. I like to go where I want to go, do what I want to, when I want to, and see you when I get there... Okay okay, I have no riding friends.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Riding in formation

Me too Ells.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #12

Riding in formation

I agree with dan and ells here's another link: http://www.sunsethog.com/groupRiding.html

Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #13

Riding in formation

I ride in formation a few times a season, Most times its ok if you ride with people that know how, There is one ride I do where half the people don't know how or are poor at it. They cant keep pace, and end up leaving huge gaps in the group. After a few sets of traffic lights most of the group is broken up over a couple of miles. Another group that I rode with last season was fantastic, we went 185 miles and everyone stayed in formation very well. It was a great day to ride with such an experienced group.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #14

Riding in formation

Quote:
I agree with dan and ells here's another link: http://www.sunsethog.com/groupRiding.html
Great animations on your link Wolfman. That's not the first time you've come through with a great link, wish I had access your your bookmarks :)

Reading through today and giving it some more thought, I realize that for me to be comfortable, it depends on the group and purpose of the ride.

I've ridden with two groups that were aggressive, and loose with the rules, and I was fine with it. A VROC group that included Ute Mike, Jack Foree, and some others was a great ride. They were all aggressive, (rode fast) and accomplished. If somebody passed someone in that group just to say something to another member, I was fine with it.

Another group is a small group of Harley riders from Colorado that I met one year in Zion's. They ride very fast, 100mph at times, and aggressive. Riding in the mountains with that group you will get passed back and forth, but I know what to expect and enjoy the aggressive nature of the group.

That said, if it is a group that I don't know, and isn't a solid group of known people, I like a lot of discipline. No passing within the group, only brisk speeds, and after bunching at a stop, pull away in the same stagger, etc.

So I can enjoy riding with both groups, it just depends on the size of the group, and how well you know each other.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #15
Mega-Contributor

Riding in formation

Arizona Bike Week starts this weekend, and next Wednesday, I took the day off from work to go on a big ride for childrens charities, sponsored by a local HD dealer (Buddy Stubbs HD) and the HOG chapter from that dealership. It's a 295-mile ride and there will be a few HUNDRED bikes, mostly Harleys. I'm sure I'll be treated like a red-headed stepchild, riding a Nomad. That's just 'cuz they'll all be jealous!

It should be interesting, though. The ride will go through the mountains N of the Phoenix area and ends at Westworld in Scottsdale, where the bike week festivities take place. Molly Hatchett is playing that night, and my registration for the ride gets me in to the show.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17