Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 06-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #16
Mega-Contributor

Road Debris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Last week I got a pucker experience from a bunch of beer cans in the road. I was leaving a red light, so I was closer to the car in front of me than usual as we had just cleared the other cross walk and hadn't spread out yet. All of a sudden there was about 10 beer cans all over in my lane coming out from under the car in front.

Turns out they were empty, but it gave me a pucker.

I've also in past years had luggage from on top of an SUV come loose and go flying. I was the vehicle right behind it, but had just changed lanes to pass it when it all came flying off.

One that annoys me most is pieces of plywood scrap. If it isn't a 4x8 sheet, then it's scrap. If its scrap and looks old, it has a good likelihood of having some nails sticking up out of it. I do a pretty good swerve going around them.
Beer cans, huh? Were you following me?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #17

Road Debris

Old 06-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #18

Road Debris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Last week I got a pucker experience from a bunch of beer cans in the road. I was leaving a red light, so I was closer to the car in front of me than usual as we had just cleared the other cross walk and hadn't spread out yet. All of a sudden there was about 10 beer cans all over in my lane coming out from under the car in front.

I've also in past years had luggage from on top of an SUV come loose and go flying. I was the vehicle right behind it, but had just changed lanes to pass it when it all came flying off.

One that annoys me most is pieces of plywood scrap. If it isn't a 4x8 sheet, then it's scrap. If its scrap and looks old, it has a good likelihood of having some nails sticking up out of it. I do a pretty good swerve going around them.
No .... :)

But just because you know Denver so well, it was on Broadway and Belleview. There was so many of them that I think somebody probably lost a bag of empties out of the back of a truck.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #19

Road Debris

There was a fence company truck in front of me and a whole roll of cyclone fencing bounced out and was rolling down the interstate in front of me. A poor lady was beside me and the roll veered into the front of her and she centered it. That was close. I didn't know what to do just got lucky it went her way instead of mine.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 06-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #20

Road Debris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:

You should have picked them all up they're worth a dime apeice here.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #21
Advanced Member

Road Debris

Years ago, one night my wife was heading to bed and I decided I was going to take a late ride. So I jumped on my 1500 classic and took off around town. it was about midnight and I decided I'd head back home. I was on I-295, running about 80 MPH, no helmet and something up ahead in the road sort of caught my eye with just enough time for me to change lanes to avoid hitting it....it was a plastic black bedliner that had blown out of the back of a pickup truck, laying in the middle of my lane.
The thing that made it even scarrier was that they had done some resurfacing on 295 and if that bedliner had been a couple miles back it would have been on the dark asphalt where it would have blended right in with the road. instead it was on the faded old asphalt that was more of a grey color then black so it made it possible for me to see it.
theres no doubt had i hit it I would have been dead.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 06-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #22

Road Debris

Same amount as usual in West Texas.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #23

Road Debris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfl
Years ago, one night my wife was heading to bed and I decided I was going to take a late ride. So I jumped on my 1500 classic and took off around town. it was about midnight and I decided I'd head back home. I was on I-295, running about 80 MPH, no helmet and something up ahead in the road sort of caught my eye with just enough time for me to change lanes to avoid hitting it....it was a plastic black bedliner that had blown out of the back of a pickup truck, laying in the middle of my lane.
The thing that made it even scarrier was that they had done some resurfacing on 295 and if that bedliner had been a couple miles back it would have been on the dark asphalt where it would have blended right in with the road. instead it was on the faded old asphalt that was more of a grey color then black so it made it possible for me to see it.
theres no doubt had i hit it I would have been dead.
Man !! I get the creeps just thinking about that !!

Old 06-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #24
Sr. Contributor

Road Debris

Interesting thread..

One I can recall was the canoe race on the 4th of July several, well ok more than several years ago now.

I was north bound on Liberty in heavy fast moving traffic. Rt 16 in NH is fast and busy that time of year. Just about the time I notice jute twine which I pay attion to for other reasons was the only thing holding a canoe on a SUV it all broke.

The canoe went straight up and came back down at 55 mph, landing on it's bottom. I was into brakes hard, but the suv behind me wasn't.

That canoe headed west, leaving me no time to think. The guy that lost it began to brake to, and i was in a real bad place!

I didn't know what to do, but passed that canoe as fast as I could running the center line with on coming traffic.

I don't mind telling anyone I was friggin scared!

The next time it was a double bed mattress.. No problem at all. It came off like the canoe, but didn't slide as well. The driver began to slow but left plenty of room and a ran that mattress over in my plow trick and grinned at him!

The last time was in upstate NY, in a lake effect blizzard, where a dresser came off a pick up and I dammned near hit that one in the car.

Ya gotta watch it no matter when and what time of year it is..

On edit.. I forgot one.

Mini van with a load of sheet rock on top. I noticed the string holding it was getting to be real loose, and the load was shifting on a bumpy road in Maine, so I rode the Nad up to the drivers window and pointe d at his load.

In turn the guy wacked his brakes and the load rode off the top ahead of him where he ran it over himself!

Some people are just born screwed!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #25

Road Debris

You got that right !! Some people ARE just born screwed. Like I said before, it amazes me how people think that a half assed tie down job is not as dangerous as a no tie down job. They ain't all in the zoo , mac.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 AM   #26
Advanced Member

Road Debris

So much of this around town it is what scares me the most!

BUCKEYE, Ariz. -- A Covington man died Sunday night in a motorcycle accident in Arizona.

Arizona State Police said Cary Jaquish, 32, was westbound on Interstate 10 near Buckeye, Ariz., when he hit a piece of tire tread, forcing him to lay the bike down.
He was flown to St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, where he was later pronounced dead.
Troopers said Jaquish was wearing a helmet and protective riding gear.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #27

Road Debris

I also have a fear of this happening. Shreads of tire are all over the Interstates here. My greatest fear is to be next to an 18 wheeler when a tire blows. Scary thought!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #28

Road Debris

That accident was about 4 miles from my house. I run that road quite often. Scary. It was dark, and so he probably did not have a good sight line, the tire would blend in with the pavement.

To make it worse, his fiance was in a vehicle about 20 minutes behind, so came upon the accident.

Gives me second thoughts about night riding. Especially on the interstate. With the heat at this time of year trucks lose alot of tires around here .

Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #29

Road Debris

My favorite is what I call Michigan Aligators (large tire treads) in the road. Michigan has a higher than normal maximum wieght limit for trucks on the roads, and this leads to a lot of tire blowouts. What we end up with is entire shredded tires in the road.

I have never had to ride over one, but there have been many close calls where the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses that i have taken really paid off.