Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #17

Riding in formation

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Group_Ride.pdf

Old 03-27-2008, 07:11 AM   #18

Riding in formation

vin,

Good links!

I have to totally disagree with one of the sites posted earlier that suggested side by side formations. The main reason for a staggered formation is so that each rider has an out. If something happens and your need to manuver to avoid it you would be running into each other in a side by side formation. I would never suggest that, nor would I ever ride in that formation.

Just my 2 cents.
John

Old 03-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #19

Riding in formation

JRD,

I agree with NOT riding side by side. NH does allow it but I just feel uncomfortable when someone pulls next to me while moving down the road. Motorcops do it but they are highly trained riders and most likely understand what they do if soemthing goes wrong.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #20

Riding in formation

Riding side by side is not my cup of tea. I like room to maneuver.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #21

Riding in formation

As I was riding with Ells, he was leading in the right part of the lane, at a brief stop I told him that I prefer it that way. We were going to discuss it at the BBQ and forgot.

Here's my rational, what do you guys think.

The left side of the lane has the most chance of getting hit by an oncoming car that is drifting across the center line. If the lead rider is on the left, he's in the most danger, the bike behind him is further away and in less danger.

It seems to me that if the lead rider was further away, in the right track, that would give the offending car a little more time to get back in his lane before he gets to the second rider, who would be in the left.

I picture it as a wedge. Instead of the point being aimed at the oncoming car, it's pointed away.

That's what I would have told you Ells, if we had remembered.

Is there something the rest of you know that I'm not taking into consideration?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #22

Riding in formation

Dan,

I understand what you mean by the lead rider being in the right part of the lane but , to me, that leaves the left side open and could be prone to cage drivers trying to fill that space when they shouldn't. Also, if the lead rider is in the right area it could be much more difficult to see him ie: a car passing the group and doesn't see the lead rider in the right part of the lane and cuts back in to soon. Could be a conflict.

my 2 cents

vin

Old 04-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #23

Riding in formation

Quote:
Dan,

I understand what you mean by the lead rider being in the right part of the lane but , to me, that leaves the left side open and could be prone to cage drivers trying to fill that space when they shouldn't. Also, if the lead rider is in the right area it could be much more difficult to see him ie: a car passing the group and doesn't see the lead rider in the right part of the lane and cuts back in to soon. Could be a conflict.

my 2 cents

vin
Since most of my riding is on two laners, that's what I'm geared to and picked this style with oncoming cars in mind.

I hadn't considered cars passing from behind and moving back over.

I'll have to give that some thought.

Thanks Flightdoc

Old 04-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #24

Riding in formation

I'm a Road Captain with our local group, which means I regularly lead the formation. If I have a choice, I prefer to lead in the left stagger. Main reasons are that personally I feel I have a better view of oncoming traffic as well as the group behind. That may be because I'm riding on the crown rather than lower side. Another thought about formation riding (always staggered) is that we're more visable to all those cagers who "don't see us" when we are riding single. A good group riding size is between 3 and 12 riders. Any more and it's to hard to keep together passing through towns and traffic. Just my 2cw.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #25

Riding in formation

In my club, if we are on a 4 lane highway and on the inside lane, the leader will ride in the left position. If the pack moves to the outside lane the lead only goes over to the right position. The 2nd rider would take the left position and the rest of the group also makes the switch in eah position. Not hard to do once the group gets used to it. This allows the leader to see the traffic coming up behind the group and better able to see if it is safe to make the lane change back to the inside lane. Our group has been doing this for a year or so and the membership likes it. You just have to make sure any new riders to the group also understand the switches.
Also so we make sure new riders (people we don't know) must ride in the rear. The sweep rider is the most important rider in the group. When the lead rider makes the signal to change lanes, the sweep position will make the move 1st if safe to do so. This allows the group to make the move safely.
There are always exceptions to the rules and each rider is responsible for his/her own ride and safety. You must be alert and know your limitations.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #26

Riding in formation

On the open road with no cross traffic it makes sense..... with cross traffic that right side seems vulnerable....... imho ;)

Old 04-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #27

Riding in formation

While I am aware that the lead is usually to the left, I think that in our situation with Dan the far more experienced rider and just two of us, it made most sense for him to be both in the back and the outside (left) position. I'm used to riding alone and picking whatever feels or looks best, so once in the right position I decided to stay there rather than switching until stopping and talking to Dan when he agreed that was how he preferred it too. Great ride. In larger group, the possibility of a passing car pulling in and not seeing a right leader would be more of issue.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #28

Riding in formation

I understand what you are saying - that's why our lead stays next to the center line no matter what lane we are in. That way the cages always see the leader.