Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #31
VBA Founder

Test drove a Can Am Spyder RT-SE5 today...

I call the Can Am Spyders by their pseudo name..... TURD. (Trike Unexpected Reverse Direction).

Actually, they are intriguing and if someone wants to buy one, I'm not one to give them a hard time about it. But, I don't think that style of riding is for me.

Just my 2 centavos worth.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #32

I spent about an hour on one in Myrtle Beach back in May.

While it's not my current style, it is one heck of a machine. With the electronics it's near impossible to roll. Sure you could roll down the side of a hill, but it won't go over if you cut it too hard at speed. I asked and was told to try. At 65 mph a full throttle hard right turn pulled the outboard wheel about 1 1/2" off the ground, then the elctronics kicked in and down it came.

Much safer than a standard trike conversion.

If I need to give up two wheels when I get advanced in years, I would likely pick on of these over a conventional trike or not riding.

One of the guys I ride with dropped his Ultra Classic twice during bike week. He traded for a Spyder last week.

MT
VBA 936

Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #33

My wife wants to get a spyder. She likes to ride, but is so short she has problems finding a bike she can flat foot. She has test driven the Spyder, and really likes it.

Looks like this fall, barring any unforseen issues she will probably be buying a red one.

I'm ok with it, that just means I get the bike all to my self.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #34

Ponch... I re-checked the specs on luggage space. I see 41 U.S. Gallons -- but then again I am half blind.

Coacha... the 2008's had a lot of problems apparently. So did most model years up to 2011's. BRP must have listened some to their owners because they made the modifications owners were having to do on their own.

Trip... TURD? Geez... you're rough man... you should at least try one sometime for the heck of it.

To others... apparently to many the mere fact that one brings-up a Spyder brings their blood to a boil. I am not really sure why -- unless you are trying to compare it to a motorcycle.

As we all know... they are not a motorcycle. I compare them somewhat to other alternative vehicles, like the Polaris Razor -- which are also a riot to drive (and which you can fully license in Arizona CJ!!! ).

I also think it is a great alternative to motorcycles for those that cannot ride any longer; or those that are not confident enough to ride a motorcycle. Nothing wrong with that. Heck... people need to keep their "macho" in check sometimes... ;)

Well... I am not here to promote them... I just simply wanted to share what I thought about driving one. I, personally, thought it was a riot, and can easily see where they are going to continue to sell truck-loads of these things. I think Kawasaki needs to pay attention to this new type of vehicle and its sales... and make one available. I'll bet they could make a great one if they wanted to. ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #35
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Trip wasn't calling the bike a TURD, he was calling YOU a turd Greg!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Ponch... I re-checked the specs on luggage space. I see 41 U.S. Gallons -- but then again I am half blind.

Coacha... the 2008's had a lot of problems apparently. So did most model years up to 2011's. BRP must have listened some to their owners because they made the modifications owners were having to do on their own.

Trip... TURD? Geez... you're rough man... you should at least try one sometime for the heck of it.

To others... apparently to many the mere fact that one brings-up a Spyder brings their blood to a boil. I am not really sure why -- unless you are trying to compare it to a motorcycle.

As we all know... they are not a motorcycle. I compare them somewhat to other alternative vehicles, like the Polaris Razor -- which are also a riot to drive (and which you can fully license in Arizona CJ!!! ).

I also think it is a great alternative to motorcycles for those that cannot ride any longer; or those that are not confident enough to ride a motorcycle. Nothing wrong with that. Heck... people need to keep their "macho" in check sometimes... ;)

Well... I am not here to promote them... I just simply wanted to share what I thought about driving one. I, personally, thought it was a riot, and can easily see where they are going to continue to sell truck-loads of these things. I think Kawasaki needs to pay attention to this new type of vehicle and its sales... and make one available. I'll bet they could make a great one if they wanted to. ;)

I was looking at the RS, not the RT. The RT is in fact 155L or 41 gallons. My RT is 113L with the topcase. DK what the GW is.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila
I spent about an hour on one in Myrtle Beach back in May.

One of the guys I ride with dropped his Ultra Classic twice during bike week. He traded for a Spyder last week.

MT
I have a friend that has the top of the line Spyder and he got his because he had trouble holding up his Ultra Classic when his wife was getting on it and she wasn't comfortable on it either. They stopped at a dealership and she sat on the Spyder and told him "Buy this one". They love it.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus

Ohhh....dayyummmm. My wife says (after seeing a guy riding one)...."I can see chicks riding those things, but guys...?? Isn't that how they get gay...??"...... . Just sayin'.....[/quote]

Tell your wife I love her!! :-*

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!

Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #39

BD... YOU mister are the turd!

Coacha... glad to hear you are still friends with them... once people get these things it seems it comes between friendships for some reason.

I have toyed around with the idea of getting one. Mostly because my back injury seems to be lingering a bit longer than I thought it would. It will be a year ago this October when I injured it -- and my wreck in May aggravated it even more. I have gone to physical therapy 3-times a week consistently since last October -- and I am to a plateau of improvement.

The point is... it has become difficult for me to handle a large bike when I lean for curves or when I need to hold it up-right. It puts a lot of stress on the lower back... and kills me. I seem to flinch when this happens and it affects how I handle the bike. In other words, I cannot at this point handle the bike as well as I used to -- which scares me a bit... sometimes a lot.

While my injury may eventually heal itself... it interferes with riding for the present.

I cannot see myself on a HD or GW trike... I have seen the instability of these things far too often. I know of one person that flipped theirs over and didn't survive -- and he was known to be a great rider.

Who knows... I am stubborn and may very well stick with what I have... but I will still be looking over my shoulder for alternatives in the meantime. Looks like if I go the Spyder route I'll be looking for a new group of friends.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #40

I can sure see the appeal to those who can no longer manage on two wheels safely. While I prefer two wheels, I learned a long time ago to never say never. I understand it would not be the same as a motorcycle, but I kind of like the way they look, and it still gets your knees in the breeze.
Greg, if you get one I'll still ride with you! :)

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 07-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #41

Thanks Daryl... I appreciate it. It seems some would not; however I have thick skin and wouldn't miss them if that were the case. I can get over simple minds fairly easily. ;)

Life is too short to be that particular about what a person rides... or doesn't. Besides... one would then become like the Harley riders and who wants to have that attitude anyway??!!!

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #42
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Thanks Daryl... I appreciate it. It seems some would not; however I have thick skin and wouldn't miss them if that were the case. I can get over simple minds fairly easily. ;)

Life is too short to be that particular about what a person rides... or doesn't. Besides... one would then become like the Harley riders and who wants to have that attitude anyway??!!!
You might just need a lighter bike too. Compared to the Nomad, I feel like I can practically lift my bike myself. Of course I cannot, but it is a lot easier to move around in the garage and such. 250 lbs makes a huge difference.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 07-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #43

I wouldn't disagree Ponch... and I am looking presently... to include your suggestions.

Again, it isn't that it is so bad that I am completely scared to ride or anything remotely close to that... it is simply that the pain-twitches briefly interfere with my ability to maintain complete control during brief points; and are beginning to worry me that they might come with an intensity at a critical time when riding where it may make a difference in handling the bike correctly... or not.

If it were just me I wouldn't worry so much about it... but riding two-up... it is a different story.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #44
Mega-Contributor

Greg, don't get me wrong...if it's a choice of riding a three-wheeler versus hanging up your helmet for good, then you have to do what you have to do. I wouldn't fault anyone for doing that. I might tease them mercilessly, but it wouldn't be mean-spirited. ::)

However, I see a lot of younger people on Spyders around here. Probably afraid of riding a motorcycle. Those are the ones I poke fun at.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #45
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

If Daryl cuts you slack Greg then I have not choice but to do the same ::) ;)

But you did trailer your Nomad a very short distance to Custer ::)

So you have experience with Training Wheels on your motorcycles!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005