Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
J&M CB advice (Update) fix found!!

I finally started to install my J&M CB that I bought from another member here this winter. It came with an adapter plate for Kawasaki but the bottom of the radio housing sits too close to the headlight dimmer switch for me to get my fat thumb in there. I put a couple of washers under the adapter plate and that helped a little with clearance but is still snug with my summer gloves on and will never work with my gauntlet gloves.

I'm sure that some of you have these installed and I'm wondering if any of you have this problem and how you may have solved it.

Also, I need to find an antenna bracket or have one made. Any ideas there would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bud (Idaho)
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #2

I just installed mine and found the same problem. At least with my light and medium gloves I can flip the switch. Thumb to go to low beam and forefinger to go to high beam. Aside from your option to raise the mount up, one possibility I see is to epoxy a piece of plastic to the headlight switch so that it extends past the cb unit front and rear.

I bought the J&M CB mount. It's just a piece of relatively mild metal about 1" X 12" that you mount to two of the license plate bolts. it extends to the right of the license plate. The stud of the antenna base is mounted through the plate. So that the antenna has a vertical or near verticle alignment the metal strap has a half twist between the license plate and antenna. IMO you can make one for a heck of a lot less than the $87.00 J&M wants for it. Theirs does come with the antenna, coax and mounting stud. Also you will need to fab up a ground strap.

(Hope like heck that made sense)

One other recommendation I'll give is to make sure that you get the SWR (standing wave ratio) checked. Mine was so far out that I had to go to another antenna. (Part of the problem also was that I had a bad ground for the antenna).

Old 04-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
VBA Founder

I found the same problem when I installed my J&M. I also found that I really don't use my high beams that much, so it really doesn't matter for me.

On the antenna, yep, I had to get one too. I bought a Radio Shack CB antenna and mounted it on the back.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
I found the same problem when I installed my J&M. I also found that I really don't use my high beams that much, so it really doesn't matter for me.
+1 Never really use high beams, so no big deal for me. I can get to it if I need to though.

I bought an license plate antenna mount from Sierra Electronics. They also have sissy bar mounts as well.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 04-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #5

NEVER USE HIGH BEAMS?????? REALLY?? I use mine all the time, even during the day at intersections. That is why I installed the HD bulb. LOTS of light.

I WILL solve this problem.

goldstar, I agree with your assessment of the antenna mount. I'm going to make one that attaches to the inside of the sissy bar and sets out to the side of the bike a couple of inches. Should be fairly easy to do.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #6

I told you I would solve this problem. I've been in contact with John Lazzeroni of J&M Corp. He requested pictures so I sent him a few that showed my big fat gloved thumb trying to squeeze in between the radio and the dimmer switch.

He sent me an email suggesting that I loosen the nut holding the mirror down and rotate the radio clockwise to move it away from the dimmer switch. I was skeptical but did as suggested.

Guess what? It works! I was fixated with having the radio in line with the handlebars and never thought about rotating it out of the way. After I did it was very apparent that it is a much better position. Now I can use the key switch with my forefinger and the controls on the face of the radio are easier to use.

So, I suggest that the rest of you who have abandoned your dimmer switch give this a try. Trust me, it works.

Who'd a thought?
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #7

Not lined directly up in the first place here, so maybe that is why several have not had the same issue with the dimmer...not that I use it a lot, but never have an issue with it when I do.

I placed mine more so it was readable when I was sitting, rather than worrying about being inline with the bars.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 04-15-2009, 06:13 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Just got a 4 ft. antenna and mounted it to the hard bag support. You can find the mounting bracket at a truck stop (The kind that they mount to their mirrors).

Learned from the guy who sold me the antenna-- to check for a good ground, pick a channel on the CB, turn it up, then reach to grasp the antenna. If it gets quiet as your hand approaches the antenna, the antenna is working fine. (Apparently, your hand, and you, serve as a ground. )

If you don't notice any difference, there is a problem (and that's when he started talking Greek.)

Old 04-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Strobe, It's a good thing you ain't my kid, because I hollerded at him 3 times one day to put his Hi's on and leave em on because i could not see him behind me..

I don't have fat thumbs either!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Strobe, It's a good thing you ain't my kid, because I hollerded at him 3 times one day to put his Hi's on and leave em on because i could not see him behind me..

I don't have fat thumbs either!
Well I guess Trip and I are in the dog house then ....I think high beams help a bit, but just like eye contact with other drivers, while it is important, I think it is a bit of a false sense of security that they see you. I run my 2x55W running lights all the time so I think I am quite 'visible'. IMHO if you really want to stand out a headlight modulator is the way to go, I think it is far more effective than hi beam.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 04-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I run my high beam on day and night....

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
Top Contributor

I was riding behind dkdixie one day with my low beam on and my headlight modulator on. He told me he couldn't see my headlight. Now I run it on high beam and modulator on all the time. Man, it makes all these refective street signs and construction barrels flash like crazy! I've had a couple of folks in cars honk at me or flash their lights. Must be working.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
Top Contributor

i run hi-beam all the time(except night), with head modulator and 2 spots on light bar. people do notice you then.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
I told you I would solve this problem. I've been in contact with John Lazzeroni of J&M Corp. He requested pictures so I sent him a few that showed my big fat gloved thumb trying to squeeze in between the radio and the dimmer switch.

He sent me an email suggesting that I loosen the nut holding the mirror down and rotate the radio clockwise to move it away from the dimmer switch. I was skeptical but did as suggested.

Guess what? It works! I was fixated with having the radio in line with the handlebars and never thought about rotating it out of the way. After I did it was very apparent that it is a much better position. Now I can use the key switch with my forefinger and the controls on the face of the radio are easier to use.

So, I suggest that the rest of you who have abandoned your dimmer switch give this a try. Trust me, it works.

Who'd a thought?
Well obviously not me!! :-[ :-[

As I read your post I had one of those "duh" sensations. I too was focused on lining the unit up with the bars. Now that you write it it seems so darned obvious. Thanks for making the call and posting it. I'm going out to my bike right now and making it right.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #15

Tom, I'm glad to help. Sometimes the obvious things avoid us so easilly.

bobhamlin, I like your solution to mounting the antenna. I have an SWR meter to test the system so there should be no guesswork. Maybe.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter