Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-24-2023, 10:51 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Here in the US its not uncommon for motorcycle dealers not wanting to work on bikes older than ten years. It comes down to the shop not being able to "make rate" on service and repairs when working on older bikes. For someone who actually regularly rides their bike and keep up on the maintenace its likely not an issue. But many bikes are not ridden enough, not stored properly, not maintained (until they fail), and then the bike owner expects the dealer to make it right, when the service techs have to deal with bad gas, messed up fuel systems, stupid mods applied poorly, rusted up fasteners, while complaining about $100/hour labor rates.

Even in the BMW community I've heard of BMW dealers not willing to service BMW models like a K750 triple or older K100 (older being as "old" as 1986).

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2023, 08:23 AM   #17

Engine rebuilder

andyvh1959
You have very great points regarding "make rate $$" and regular maintenance.

Dealers have a different perspective than engine builders and this is why i changed gears to source out an Engine builder "Vance".

As you pointed out, We did discuss several items such as: maintenance, mileage, any other known issues, modifications and what the rebuild would look like.

The good news is I'll be getting a complete overhaul with everything from; valve seals, to piston rings freshened up along with repairing the transmission.

Old 04-25-2023, 10:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
Here in the US its not uncommon for motorcycle dealers not wanting to work on bikes older than ten years. It comes down to the shop not being able to "make rate" on service and repairs when working on older bikes. For someone who actually regularly rides their bike and keep up on the maintenace its likely not an issue. But many bikes are not ridden enough, not stored properly, not maintained (until they fail), and then the bike owner expects the dealer to make it right, when the service techs have to deal with bad gas, messed up fuel systems, stupid mods applied poorly, rusted up fasteners, while complaining about $100/hour labor rates.

Even in the BMW community I've heard of BMW dealers not willing to service BMW models like a K750 triple or older K100 (older being as "old" as 1986).
My previous comment, covered all of this bollocks.Piss ,or get off the fucking pot.

Old 04-26-2023, 07:16 AM   #19
Advanced Member

I think I understand what you're saying. But here in the US its harder to find a good independent shop willing to work on older bikes than I guess it is in England. Seems that in England is it more common to keep an older bike ride ready and its easier to find decent mechanics willing, and more important, capable to work on older bikes.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
My previous comment, covered all of this bollocks.Piss ,or get off the fucking pot.
I just read your previous comment, I didn't catch it until now. I see it was directed at me by you, the most irrelevant contributor by volume, as a load of BS. Who cares what you think? I mean what do you have to add of any use to most conversations though you always comment on everything?

I stated the situation and reasoning. I'm not in the old whatever repair business for the reasons I stated. I gave my opinion on the best course of action. Bitching about what it is doesn't help. Finding the correct shop will.

As for piss or get of the pot, I've got a busy and profitable shop to run now, good day.

Vernon

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2023, 05:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechaniac View Post
I just read your previous comment, I didn't catch it until now. I see it was directed at me by you, the most irrelevant contributor by volume, as a load of BS. Who cares what you think? I mean what do you have to add of any use to most conversations though you always comment on everything?

I stated the situation and reasoning. I'm not in the old whatever repair business for the reasons I stated. I gave my opinion on the best course of action. Bitching about what it is doesn't help. Finding the correct shop will.

As for piss or get of the pot, I've got a busy and profitable shop to run now, good day.

Vernon
How does fuck off sound to you, in American ?
in

Old 04-26-2023, 10:05 PM   #22

Quote:
in
Mick you know this is inappropriate behavior, and not condoned here. You need to behave or quit posting.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 04-27-2023, 09:45 AM   #23

Quote:
in
Mick,
it may be difficult for you to stop being a "tosser"
but you can stop high jacking my thread with your insults and vulgar comments as this behavior is not tolerated.

Thanks

Old 04-27-2023, 11:06 AM   #24

Hey Wildwr, what kind of price range is the mechanic quoting to do the rebuild?

Old 04-27-2023, 11:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
Hey Wildwr, what kind of price range is the mechanic quoting to do the rebuild?
with me pulling motor and dropping it off which is a full rebuild with everything freshened up: $1400 labour + Parts $

I was doing some shopping for parts and they're in the range of $2000-2200

I've also considered buying a complete running bike with low KMs and doing engine swap. prices range from $4500-$6000 however i still end up with a motor more than 15 years old (i.e. dried out gaskets, oil leaks etc)

If i can keep my rebuild $4000 or less I'd be happy.

Old 05-02-2023, 03:05 PM   #26
Advanced Member

Or do what I plan to do: use everything from the crankcase up from a Mean Streak, and since the engine case has to be split anyway, install the 1st through 4th gears from a Mean Streak and take advantage of the lower/closer gear ratios for more in town umph, but still have 5th gear from the Nomad for highway cruising.

The Mean Streak has bigger valves, hotter cams, bigger throttle body and more power than the Classic or Nomad.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:58 PM   #27

I have the Meanie engine but need some answers on how to move over into Nomad frame if I can find the time.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:46 PM   #28
Advanced Member

Meanie engine is a direct fit into the Classic and Nomad frames, installs the same way, same hardware, same exhaust. Intake/Throttle body is different for the Meanie. I believe the Meanie engine will run on the Classic/Nomad wiring harness and PCM.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
Or do what I plan to do: use everything from the crankcase up from a Mean Streak, and since the engine case has to be split anyway, install the 1st through 4th gears from a Mean Streak and take advantage of the lower/closer gear ratios for more in town umph, but still have 5th gear from the Nomad for highway cruising.

The Mean Streak has bigger valves, hotter cams, bigger throttle body and more power than the Classic or Nomad.
Bathroom reno is completed so its time to focus on bike tear down later today.
Had a quick conversation with engine builder yesterday and all is good.

Planning on keeping stock as i like the gearing for hwy and open back road riding.

Old 05-06-2023, 09:33 PM   #30

Motor is out

A great day in the garage.
Motor is removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor removed.jpg (35.4 KB, 12 views)