Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-27-2023, 09:39 AM   #1

Battery/rust or both?

I have a 1600 Mean Streak I am trying to bring back to life after sitting for years. It will crank and idles well for >5 mins with no probs but shuts off when riding. Cranks back up but repeats. The battery needs replacing but my question is it part of the stalling problem? New plugs, idles nice. Rusty tank was cleaned but idk how well. Thoughts?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by ldhthept; 02-27-2023 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Did not display entire post.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:45 AM   #2

I have a 1600 Mean Streak I am trying to bring back to life after sitting for years. It will crank and idles well for >5 mins with no probs but shuts off when riding. Cranks back up but repeats. The battery needs replacing but my question is it part of the stalling problem? New plugs, idles nice. Rusty tank was cleaned but idk how well. Thoughts?

Old 02-27-2023, 01:35 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
Can you rig up something to bypass the gas tank just to confirm the crud in the gas tank is the issue ?
It sounds like the engine is starved of fuel when the demand for fuel increases ?

Old 02-27-2023, 01:53 PM   #4

I’ve thought about switching tanks with the nomad if I can get it to bolt on. $700 to get tank clean, sealed, lifetime guarantee..:

Old 02-28-2023, 07:17 PM   #5

Does electronics for fuel pump on mean streak just plug in to Nomad fuel tank?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2023, 11:29 PM   #6

I've had the same problem when I switched to aftermarket tanks on my DR's and capped the fuel cap vent. It pulled a vacuum on the tank, sit on the side of the road for a minute and go a little further. Took the cap off the nipple and road all day.

The vent in your cap is probably ruined.

Old 03-01-2023, 12:04 PM   #7

Crud in tank after sitting for at least 14 years. Tank was “cleaned” but visible crud still in tank. Trying to figure out if motor good but bad tank or if something else wrong. If wring matches Nomad I can bypass meanie tank and go from there.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:20 PM   #8

Soooo does anyone know if wiring on Meanie will work on Nomad tank/fuel pump?

Old 03-11-2023, 04:14 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Try starting it with the gas cap open. If it conitnues to idle longer with the gas cap open, then shut the gas cap and see if it stalls after a few minutes. If it does the gas cap is not venting which creates a vacuum in the gas tank that the pump cannot overcome.

Could also be the short hoses on either side of the fuel pump. If one or both have softened over time (due to being gas all the time) the pump may be sucking the inlet hose flat, starving the pump. Or the pump outlet hose has a crack in it and the fuel pump is loosing pressure just shooting gas back into the tank and not down to the injectors. Also check the hoses outside the fuel tank to the throttle body. Would be good to take the tank off and remove the fuel pump for inspection anyway. Sitting around for years the fuel has gone sour, especially if its been stored with E10 fuel in the tank.

Last edited by andyvh1959; 03-11-2023 at 04:20 PM.

Old 03-11-2023, 10:14 PM   #10

Fuel pump and filter changed, idles well but shuts off when riding as noted. I removed the charcoal canister and hoses. I am going to take the tank off and pump out to check if filter is full of crud. Idk if the Nomad tank can be mounted on the Meanie long enough to take a short ride. Question remains, will the wiring on Nomad just plug into the Meanie engine if I decide to mount it in the Nomad. Going to cost me at least another $500 to get the Meanie on the road if the tank does not need any work or anything else pops up. But if I can switch the engine into the Nomad myself then I can get it running again. Ive also thought to get both bikes on the road but that means I have to find another engine for the Nomad. I have not ridden in months and have withdrawals each time the weather is nice.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:56 AM   #11

Obviously, if you are facing as much issues then you must replace some parts with new ones and might be it has severe battery issues which must be sort out.

Old 04-20-2023, 06:15 AM   #12

the battery issue would probably show as a hard start as these bikes like a healthy battery to run the electronics...the fuel tank vent solution sounds like a more likely culprit...run it till it quits and immediately open the gas cap...if you get a whoosh from air rushing in your vent is plugged...otherwise the crud in the tank issue may be a problem...