Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-29-2023, 10:27 AM   #1

Cold Clutch

When my 04 Nomad is cold, if I pull in the clutch and put it in gear the bike will lurch forward and stall. If I pull the lever multiple times it lessens the movement during gear engagement. After the engine warms up, the clutch works normal again. I have rebuilt the slave and master cylinders. It never started doing this until I replaced the fiber and steel plates and the spring. I don't understand why it only does it when cold. Someone else mentioned stiction is the culprit????

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-29-2023, 05:40 PM   #2
Advanced Member

How many miles on the bike? Sometimes the clutch basket fingers get "notched" with wear and the steel plates hang up in contact with the friction plates. May only take one or two steel plates to hang up and transfer some power to the rear wheel.

Perhaps before starting the bike in the cold, before cranking it over, put it in gear, rock it back and forth with the clutch lever out, then put it in neutral and start the bike

Old 01-30-2023, 05:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by customnomad04 View Post
When my 04 Nomad is cold, if I pull in the clutch and put it in gear the bike will lurch forward and stall. If I pull the lever multiple times it lessens the movement during gear engagement. After the engine warms up, the clutch works normal again. I have rebuilt the slave and master cylinders. It never started doing this until I replaced the fiber and steel plates and the spring. I don't understand why it only does it when cold. Someone else mentioned stiction is the culprit????
Did you soak the fibre plates in oil, before fitting them ? Although they will be by now, i have heard of this problem before.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:09 AM   #4
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Did you soak the fibre plates in oil, before fitting them ? Although they will be by now, i have heard of this problem before.

Hi Mick, I agree with you, my friend.

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 02-05-2023, 10:43 AM   #5

Bike is an 04 with 63,000 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
How many miles on the bike? Sometimes the clutch basket fingers get "notched" with wear and the steel plates hang up in contact with the friction plates. May only take one or two steel plates to hang up and transfer some power to the rear wheel.

Perhaps before starting the bike in the cold, before cranking it over, put it in gear, rock it back and forth with the clutch lever out, then put it in neutral and start the bike

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-05-2023, 10:46 AM   #6

Yes I soaked them in the same oil I use in the bike. It never did it before the replacement of the steel and fiber plates.
Quote:

Old 02-05-2023, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes I soaked them in the same oil I use in the bike. It never did it before the replacement of the steel and fiber plates.
Either you put the wrong oil in, or the springs went in tthe wrong sequence. The oil must be JASO MA, or it will slip, mine did that. all was good with the right oil though. https://www.rymax-lubricants.com/upd...fication-mean/ https://vulcangadgets.com/files/clut...placement.html

Last edited by mick56; 02-05-2023 at 12:32 PM.

Old 02-05-2023, 04:43 PM   #8

Same oil I have always used. 10w-40 Valvoline V twin MC oil. I double checked the spring sequence when putting it back together. If the springs were wrong I'm sure it would do it hot or cold.
Quote:
Either you put the wrong oil in, or the springs went in tthe wrong sequence. The oil must be JASO MA, or it will slip, mine did that. all was good with the right oil though. https://www.rymax-lubricants.com/upd...fication-mean/ https://vulcangadgets.com/files/clut...placement.html

Old 02-05-2023, 05:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Same oil I have always used. 10w-40 Valvoline V twin MC oil. I double checked the spring sequence when putting it back together. If the springs were wrong I'm sure it would do it hot or cold.
I would try back bleeding it , with an old trigger oil can, and piece of hose. Take the reservoir lid off, clean it out, put a rag over it, to stop fluid squrting out. Then pump fluid from the slave cylinder nipple.That has worked for me, when vacuum pumps have not.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224523431...Bk9SR9bAzrnEYQ

Old 02-11-2023, 01:54 PM   #10

Thanks, I will give that a shot.
Quote:
I would try back bleeding it , with an old trigger oil can, and piece of hose. Take the reservoir lid off, clean it out, put a rag over it, to stop fluid squrting out. Then pump fluid from the slave cylinder nipple.That has worked for me, when vacuum pumps have not.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224523431...Bk9SR9bAzrnEYQ